• Dec 22nd, 2015 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 10, 2005
429 posts
150 upvotes

No Frills : the end of price matching?

I was denied a price match today at No Frills (London, Ontario), in accordance with their new Price Match Policy. Which basically states they will only match pricing against competing supermarkets BUT ONLY FOR THE ITEMS IN THEIR FLYER!

Basically, it means they reserve the right to gouge you on regular priced items not in their own flyer. Since most of the items in their flyer are discounted anyway, it means at most the price match will be very small.

I will be shopping t Superstore or any other Supermarket that has a real price match policy from now on.

As a reminder, it is your duty as RFD members to punish No Frills for this ridiculous price match policy by taking your business anywhere else.
57 replies
Oct 16, 2007
680 posts
88 upvotes
MANGLER wrote: Basically, it means they reserve the right to gouge you on regular priced items not in their own flyer.

As a reminder, it is your duty as RFD members to punish No Frills for this ridiculous price match policy by taking your business anywhere else.
How are they gouging you? No one is forcing you to buy their regular priced items.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21640 posts
2407 upvotes
LCL is expected to stop all price matching in the near future. Get ready!
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17998 posts
5983 upvotes
Toronto
Always shop at Walmart. They price match everyone and use the Flipp app.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7511 posts
978 upvotes
GTA
I read somewhere else that someone else in London reported the same thing.

Recently all No Frills in our area put up a list of those they will price match (varies by the geographical area of the store).

The flyers here still state they'll PM "any item that we carry in our store". Have they changed the flyer in your area or is it just a store not following the proper price match policy?
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Dec 20, 2011
368 posts
161 upvotes
Toronto
I doubt anyone will stop shopping at no frills because of your bad experience lol. They normally have pretty decent sales and are priced lower then other places like superstore, loblaws, metro. They now only pm other supermarkets like food basics, frescho, walmart etc.. and not less established places like Chinese supermarkets. Of course they would only price match a competitors flyer, wasn't that always the norm? How else would they verify a competitors price lol
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9005 posts
2548 upvotes
London
sillysimms wrote: I read somewhere else that someone else in London reported the same thing.

Recently all No Frills in our area put up a list of those they will price match (varies by the geographical area of the store).

The flyers here still state they'll PM "any item that we carry in our store". Have they changed the flyer in your area or is it just a store not following the proper price match policy?
Here's the London policy. It says "flyer prices".

th3dud3 wrote: How else would they verify a competitors price lol
A receipt is specifically stated in the online policy, but perhaps a picture from a cell phone could work?
NOT AVAILABLE AT LONDON ONTARIO NO FRILLS LOCATIONS
Lower Food Prices means we provide lower food prices compared to full service grocery stores by reducing our operating costs. We say 'no' to extras like: costly displays, expensive fixtures, big advertising budgets, costly overhead, in store meat cutting or baking in store. Look for “won’t be beat” slogan throughout our store and on some of your favourite items so that you don’t forget to simply show us if you find a lower price and we will match it.If a major supermarket competitor within this store’s geographical trade area offers a lower price on any item (whether the item has the above symbol or not) that we carry in our store simply show us an advertisement or receipt and we will sell you that item at the same price. We reserve the right to limit price match quantities to a limit of 4 per item. We will match the competitor’s price only during the effective date of the competitor’s advertisement or within 7 days of the receipt date. We match identical items defined as same brand, item type (in the case of produce, meat and bakery), size and attributes or comparable items in the case of private label. ‘Our major supermarket competitors’, ‘geographical trade areas’, and “comparable items” are determined solely by us and are based on a number of factors which can change from time to time. Excludes ‘spend x get x’; ‘Free’; and discounts obtained through loyalty programs. We reserve the right to limit quantities.The “won’t be beat” program is applicable only to departments owned and operated by the No Frills Franchisee or Franchisor and does not apply to Gas Stations, or Pharmacy and prescriptions as defined under applicable legislation. The “won’t be beat” program does not apply to any other third party operators on our premises such as: Fresh Meat, Fresh Seafood,Fresh Barbecue or Fresh Bakery Counters.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17998 posts
5983 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills has very good sales. I doubt many people price matched their to being with, so things won't change much.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2028 upvotes
Nowhere
The flyer refers to their Won't Be Beat Guarantee. This is not their standard price matching policy. They had Won't Be Beat before they offered price matching. Won't Be Beat in most stores applies to select items like milk, butter, bread, eggs etc. The prices are usually posted on large signs at the front of the store. The policy posted above seems to be expanded to include all items in their flyer. Perhaps it is something they are trying in London instead of price matching.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7511 posts
978 upvotes
GTA
th3dud3 wrote: I doubt anyone will stop shopping at no frills because of your bad experience lol. They normally have pretty decent sales and are priced lower then other places like superstore, loblaws, metro. They now only pm other supermarkets like food basics, frescho, walmart etc.. and not less established places like Chinese supermarkets. Of course they would only price match a competitors flyer, wasn't that always the norm? How else would they verify a competitors price lol
But in London, they will only price match items that appear in the No Frills flyer that week.
Ottomaddox wrote: Here's the London policy. It says "flyer prices".

A receipt is specifically stated in the online policy, but perhaps a picture from a cell phone could work?
Thanks for posting that. The London policy is definitely different than here. I wonder why? I would think a PM policy would be used to encourage shoppers to do all their shopping at one location. For those that do want to PM, this policy is fairly useless. They might as well not PM at all.

I wonder if it is a test and may eventually be rolled out everywhere or if there are differences in the London market to make implementation of this more acceptable there?
When your mind says give up, hope whispers "one more try"
Never say never
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9005 posts
2548 upvotes
London
sillysimms wrote: I wonder if it is a test and may eventually be rolled out everywhere or if there are differences in the London market to make implementation of this more acceptable there?
London is used for market testing because it's relatively isolated from other markets, so it's possible.
That, or the London No Frills owners got a tip from the Walmart about the Red Flag Deals crew...
[OP]
Jan 10, 2005
429 posts
150 upvotes
sillysimms wrote: But in London, they will only price match items that appear in the No Frills flyer that week.
I realize now why it's so confusing to everyone, this seems to be a "London only" special. Definitely has the stench of a market test.
When the cashier told us about the policy (if it's not in our own flyer we don't price match), we said so basically you don't price match anymore, she smiled and agreed.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9005 posts
2548 upvotes
London
MANGLER wrote: I realize now why it's so confusing to everyone, this seems to be a "London only" special. Definitely has the stench of a market test.
When the cashier told us about the policy (if it's not in our own flyer we don't price match), we said so basically you don't price match anymore, she smiled and agreed.
Which location was this?
May 28, 2012
10929 posts
3104 upvotes
Saskatoon
No Frills are franchised stores...I wonder how much discretion they have to make up their own rules?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10794 posts
668 upvotes
Scarborough
Thats what happens when people abuse price matching.

For me I could care less cause I just pick the grocery store with the cheapest items that week and I shop there. If that changes week to week, then so be it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)