• Dec 22nd, 2015 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2697 upvotes
ON
My local no frills has been doing the 'automatic pricing' for years, as well as continues to normal price match. It's called competition.
Say freshco had watermelons in their flyer for 2.97 and no frills 3.97 - when in no frills that week, they were priced 2.97. Real example from this past summer.
Also noticed it when they both had a cryo pack beef sale. One had a slightly lower price in the flyer - visiting both stores that week they had the same price in-store.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2138 posts
641 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I never understood price matching. I'd rather give business to the store with lower price then beg another store to sell it to me for that price.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
valeradunets wrote: I never understood price matching. I'd rather give business to the store with lower price then beg another store to sell it to me for that price.
Idea is pretty simple. Do all your shopping in a single location instead of running around to get the best price on various items. Saves time and money.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2474 posts
342 upvotes
Ajax
A few things I've noticed about price matching, loss leaders in general..

When there's a sale of coke, there's an exact match of the price from pepsi. No matter what. Some sort of weird collusion going on, not sure.

Loss leaders rotate amongst the stores. So one week Food Basics has cheese, then next week it's No Frills. Never do 2 stores have the same loss leaders.

These no frills changes don't sound good, does that mean that they will automatically price adjust on meat? I was able to PM pork chops and ground beef this week, knocking off $5 the beef and another $5 off the pork.

Btw - Lean Ground hamburger prices are ridiculous right now. $15 for a tray? lol
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2474 posts
342 upvotes
Ajax
valeradunets wrote: I never understood price matching. I'd rather give business to the store with lower price then beg another store to sell it to me for that price.
It's to your detriment that you don't understand price matching. We're talking significant amounts of money and time being saved. An example. let's say you like Dempsters bagels, they are around $3.50. What if Walmart has them for $2, but you're at No Frills. No way are you going to drive to another store just for bagels. One of the stronger PM's I've done was get a butterball turkey at $23.00 instead of the stickered price of $44.00
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2011
8180 posts
2813 upvotes
Toronto
I've never been able to price match at No Frills, a few times I've been flat out told that they do no price match even though I thought they did. Other times I've been told they limit price matching to 2 items so what would even be the point?

I've had the same issues on limited price matching from Frescho, so now whenever I price match, I go to the Superstore or Walmart, hassle free every time.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2474 posts
342 upvotes
Ajax
Variability wrote: I've never been able to price match at No Frills, a few times I've been flat out told that they do no price match even though I thought they did. Other times I've been told they limit price matching to 2 items so what would even be the point?
Sounds like a franchisee isn't playing ball. I thought it was 4 items? Maybe it's 2. Can't remember.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1081 posts
265 upvotes
Kuurgen wrote: Sounds like a franchisee isn't playing ball. I thought it was 4 items? Maybe it's 2. Can't remember.
Yeah, that's just awful. I've never had an issue PMing at my local No Frills. I use the Flipp app to PM all the time and the cashiers there have never taken issue with it.

I've only ever had one problem PMing with a flyer and that was a year or two ago at Canadian Superstore. IIRC, the cashier wouldn't price match cream cheese because the flyer didn't list the exact amounts that were on sale, it just said something like 200g-700g and the size I wanted was 500g. Otherwise Superstore, Walmart, and No Frills have been great about it for me.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5690 posts
1025 upvotes
Toronto
Kuurgen wrote:
When there's a sale of coke, there's an exact match of the price from pepsi. No matter what. Some sort of weird collusion going on, not sure.

Loss leaders rotate amongst the stores. So one week Food Basics has cheese, then next week it's No Frills. Never do 2 stores have the same loss leaders.
These days most of the time retailers don't drive these sales, manufacturers do. Do it on the same week and the vendors can't supply the warehouses.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Jan 10, 2005
429 posts
150 upvotes
markom wrote: Here is an article explaining what is happening:

http://www.productjunkie.ca/no-frills-n ... -matching/
So basically, trust us, we are awesome, it's already been adjusted, no need to price match.

At my last visit, the lean ground beef was 2$ a pound more than at Farm Boy, and the French Dijon mustard was 2.99 (vs 1.99 at at competitors). Just 2 examples.

So yeah, it's not working. Or it's working fine, if you are No Frills.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
4585 posts
1101 upvotes
Wat
Weird, I just pricematched yesterday no problem.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2028 upvotes
Nowhere
Freshco limits PMing to 2 of each item. Walmart's limit is 6. No Frills limit seems to be 4 (YMMV).

I had one No Frills try to limit me to 4 but my local one doesn't. I was buying 5 packages of cream cheese to make a cheese cake and they would only sell me 4 at the lower price. Initially she didn't even want to do that because I had 5. So I pulled out another flyer that had it advertised (slightly higher price) and they didn't want to give me that one. It was a new price match. I argued and got it but what it was a hassle. I only went to that location because my regular No Frills was out of the cream cheese and some other ingredients. I was trying to get everything at one store to use my PC points as it was getting to be a very expensive cheese cake.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10792 posts
7117 upvotes
GTA, ON
Never have a problem with PM but I live in an area with quite a few supermarkets (and Asian ones). IMO it's in the best interest of the franchisee to PM or lose business to the competitors. It's better to make some profit than none IMHO.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9003 posts
2546 upvotes
London
chimaican wrote: Never have a problem with PM but I live in an area with quite a few supermarkets (and Asian ones). IMO it's in the best interest of the franchisee to PM or lose business to the competitors. It's better to make some profit than none IMHO.
Margins selling food aren't great, which is why you see some chains selling higher margin non-food items and premium products.
Just a WAG, but I think the No Frills owners feel that PMing is forcing them to sell at/below cost, and this new policy they are test driving in London is meant to mitigate the complaints.

I like No Frills, but their point system is the only advantage their have over the competition. I'm a fickle consumer, and if I don't have time to visit 3 stores this week, then No Frills won't see my money this week. Maybe next week's flyer will tempt me, but honestly, the last couple of weeks have been a page of yellow text, giant pictures, and few deals.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
24954 posts
4195 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote: No Frills are franchised stores...I wonder how much discretion they have to make up their own rules?
Unless things have changed in the last 10 years (which is definitely possible) they have virtually no discretion in how to run the store. Everything is decided from above. Even small things such as what is located in bins at the end of the aisles and even how those bins are filled. The bins are not to be stacked neatly with the product, the product is to be thrown into the bin to make it appear messy. Apparently studies have been done that show this results in customers buying more of the item in question. It was very restrictive. I'm surprised head office didn't tell the owner what colour boxers to wear.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)