• Dec 22nd, 2015 6:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
Shaner wrote: Unless things have changed in the last 10 years (which is definitely possible) they have virtually no discretion in how to run the store. Everything is decided from above. Even small things such as what is located in bins at the end of the aisles and even how those bins are filled. The bins are not to be stacked neatly with the product, the product is to be thrown into the bin to make it appear messy. Apparently studies have been done that show this results in customers buying more of the item in question. It was very restrictive. I'm surprised head office didn't tell the owner what colour boxers to wear.
Yup a lot of studies go into shelf stocking in order to optimize profits.
Product placement
There are marketing strategies which you may not be aware of that also have an effect on our buying habits. Have you ever considered how supermarkets decide where to place items on the shelves and, more importantly, why they place them where they do?
When you see items on a supermarket shelf, you are actually looking at a planogram. A planogram is defined as a "diagram or model that indicates the placement of retail products on shelves in order to maximise sales".
Within these planograms, one phrase commonly used is "eye level is buy level", indicating that products positioned at eye level are likely to sell better. You may find that the more expensive options are at eye level or just below, while the store's own brands are placed higher or lower on the shelves. Next time you are in a supermarket, just keep note of how many times you need to bend down, or stretch, to reach something you need. You might be surprised.
The "number of facings", that is how many items of a product you can see, also has an effect on sales. The more visible a product, the higher the sales are likely to be. The location of goods in an aisle is also important. There is a school of thought that goods placed at the start of an aisle do not sell as well. A customer needs time to adjust to being in the aisle, so it takes a little time before they can decide what to buy.
You might think that designing a good planogram is about putting similar goods together; cereals, toiletries, baking goods and so on. However, supermarkets have found it makes sense to place some goods together even though they are not in the same category. Beer and crisps is an obvious example. If you are buying beer, crisps seem like a good idea, and convenience makes a purchase more likely. You may also find that they are the high quality brands, but "that's okay, why not treat ourselves?"
http://phys.org/news/2014-03-science-su ... d.html#jCp
Banned
Sep 30, 2015
33 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa, ON
+1...You gave that poster an education in less than a minute! I check the flyers early using my Flip app, note what is selling for what at which store, I then go to Walmart my prefered store late in the evening armed with my smart phone to PM. I also use printed coupons from save.ca and elsewhere. Last week for example, walmart had the Wax melter for $7, and there just happens to be a Glade coupon for $7 floating around. I printed a few and got the items for free only paying the tax.

They will make for nice Xmas gifts
Kuurgen wrote: It's to your detriment that you don't understand price matching. We're talking significant amounts of money and time being saved. An example. let's say you like Dempsters bagels, they are around $3.50. What if Walmart has them for $2, but you're at No Frills. No way are you going to drive to another store just for bagels. One of the stronger PM's I've done was get a butterball turkey at $23.00 instead of the stickered price of $44.00
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9006 posts
2548 upvotes
London
I've noticed that Freshco is using No Frills new policies against them...

Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
21640 posts
2409 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Unless things have changed in the last 10 years (which is definitely possible) they have virtually no discretion in how to run the store. Everything is decided from above. Even small things such as what is located in bins at the end of the aisles and even how those bins are filled. The bins are not to be stacked neatly with the product, the product is to be thrown into the bin to make it appear messy. Apparently studies have been done that show this results in customers buying more of the item in question. It was very restrictive. I'm surprised head office didn't tell the owner what colour boxers to wear.
Old post but nonetheless... NF stores are planogramed from head office but compliance is questionable at best. Franchisees are supposed to follow the rules but frequently deviate with little consequence. Your corporate Loblaw stores are much more compliant.
Mar 6, 2015
291 posts
209 upvotes
Quebec, QC
MANGLER wrote: I will be shopping t Superstore or any other Supermarket that has a real price match policy from now on.

As a reminder, it is your duty as RFD members to punish No Frills for this ridiculous price match policy by taking your business anywhere else.
So instead of shopping at one cheaper Weston owned store and giving them money, you'll shop at a more expensive Weston owned store and give them more money for identical products?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5751 posts
1932 upvotes
Cornwall PE
yeahwhat wrote: So instead of shopping at one cheaper Weston owned store and giving them money, you'll shop at a more expensive Weston owned store and give them more money for identical products?
Ya, not many seem to realize that no frills is part of the loblaws family as is save easy and super store, though at least no frills is a franchise enterprise. Something different would be the sobeys group, lofood, price chopper, foodland, clover farm, etc. With really only two major players it's not hard to see why the price of food has risen so high in the last 8 years or so. Sobeys has recently acquired co-op so another though small completer eliminated. At least though sobeys is a canadian company, for a small comfort.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Nov 28, 2013
501 posts
226 upvotes
betamaxman wrote: Ya, not many seem to realize that no frills is part of the loblaws family as is save easy and super store, though at least no frills is a franchise enterprise. Something different would be the sobeys group, lofood, price chopper, foodland, clover farm, etc. With really only two major players it's not hard to see why the price of food has risen so high in the last 8 years or so. Sobeys has recently acquired co-op so another though small completer eliminated. At least though sobeys is a canadian company, for a small comfort.
So is Loblaws...
Dec 18, 2013
533 posts
101 upvotes
I don't even PM anymore; cannot remember the last time, I did. If there is something on sale, I just go to that store. I think PM'ng is just 'on-paper' policy to attract customers. At my local Superstore, PM is pain in the as. You have to bring old-fashioned paper flyer, have supervisor override, have them write everything from UPC code etc. [and they are lazy] AND sometimes, they gave feedbacks on 'how come its so cheap'. And then they are 'you cannot use coupon while PM'! :mad:

There goes 15 min and I am better off driving to the store, where the sale is!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2029 upvotes
Nowhere
Arvilish wrote: I don't even PM anymore; cannot remember the last time, I did. If there is something on sale, I just go to that store. I think PM'ng is just 'on-paper' policy to attract customers. At my local Superstore, PM is pain in the as. You have to bring old-fashioned paper flyer, have supervisor override, have them write everything from UPC code etc. [and they are lazy] AND sometimes, they gave feedbacks on 'how come its so cheap'. And then they are 'you cannot use coupon while PM'! :mad:

There goes 15 min and I am better off driving to the store, where the sale is!
You should complain to head office about this as it shouldn't take that long. If they have a PM policy, then the cashier should have the authority to do it. Even Walmart lets their cashiers do PMs and they don't let their cashiers do anything. That can't even change a register receipt roll.

I frequently PM because the store advertising the item doesn't have any stock. No Frills had eggnog on sale this week. I went the first day and they had none. They did this last Christmas too. It is a seasonal item they advertise it and then don't bring any in or not until late. I was told last year to come back on Christmas Eve. Right, like I'm an idiot that grocery shops on Christmas Eve. I was at Walmart and they had lots so guess where I bought it.

I don't know if it is just my No Frills but they have been really bad lately for stock on sale items. I always shop early in the day on Friday and more and more lately they don't have the advertised items. They used to be one of the better stores for not only having sufficient stock when the sale started but also restocking during the week. It is very frustrating and it is the thing that is driving me to Walmart and Freshco to shop with their flyer in hand.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2447 posts
1225 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I'm tempted to just walk out of the store, not paying for (or taking.. that would be stealing, lol) any of my purchases if a legitimate PM is denied.
Enough people do that, and they'll get the message.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
5751 posts
1932 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Scubatorx wrote: So is Loblaws...
True that was thinking maritime and for some reason wrote canadian.
The Children all love the the new down vote button.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Jun 12, 2010
667 posts
409 upvotes
Toronto/Santa Monica
PMing at nofrills is becoming harder and harder. They will only PM local competitors so now I just PM at Walmart. Sometimes they don't even look at the flyer, they PM it for you automatically
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
18018 posts
6010 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart is the absolute best. They price match anyone no matter what. All the chinese stores they price match. This is called a true price match policy.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)