Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Freebies

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
No Frills

Free 3lb banana giveaway! Feb 19 only

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2021 7:50 pm
Banned
May 7, 2007
13912 posts
5710 upvotes
Phonophoresis wrote: You may have done "nothing wrong" from a theoretical point of view, but from a more pragmatic one, I think most of us feel you took the situation way out of proportion, and made a big deal out of such a minor nuisance. First off, I think it goes without saying, but for a customer behind you to have spoken up for you to move along, that probably means you had already been arguing for quite some time. Then, when you were told "no" a SECOND time, by a different supervisor, that was the time to cut your losses, and leave. You should've just complained to PCO, and you probably would've gotten some PCO points credited immediately for the trouble.

THEN, after you got what you wanted (stealing the bananas), PLUS the potatoes, you felt the need to go back to these poor souls and rub-in the fact you ended up with the bananas... and then acted surprised when they wanted the potatoes back? All of that for what, like <$2 worth of bananas? I'd hate to know how much time this whole ordeal took.

I think the issue is becoming painfully obvious with your responses in the thread as well. I think everyone will agree that the point is that you have to pick your battles in life, and know when to walk away, especially when there are several other easy solutions that existed. You don't have to make sure everyone knows you were "right", nor do you have to always make a stand to get your way, especially when it inconveniences other people. People who base their decisions solely on being "out of principle", or just because you are "right", tend to be those who set out and seek confrontation with others, which is not cool.

I do not miss working at a grocery store. Ordeals like these would always ruin your day.
I'll maybe reply to you later ... as I have to leave very soon.

But good story, bro ...

Go and reread maybe (re: First of all).

No one told me to move along ..... (but that mean (to me anyhow) employee ... and it was only a suggestion. Plus I am also a customer ... deal with me, and then to the next customer we can go :)

The dude was not behind me ... he was in front of me (re-read) .. and he offered me to go before he goes cuz he had many items to pay for ... and I only had 3 or so maybe.

The rest is history ... and your interpretation of it ... and, currently, i neither have time for the history nor for that interpretation of yours of it ...

Maybe to be continued. But no promises. (all depends if i want to waste more energy and time on this) :)
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
1094 posts
1895 upvotes
GTA
Please don’t reply. No one needs to hear anymore about $2 worth of bananas.
Sep 15, 2018
380 posts
509 upvotes
Edmonton
Well I couldn't be bothered with going to No Frills this morning. Went to Superstore instead because they are significantly closer, they had better deals that were not advertised in the flyer so NF wouldn't be able to PM. And they PMed the deals that NF had in their flyer. I also found some surprisingly very nice bananas reduced on clearance (looked just like the regular ones) and cost me $1.60 for 3 lbs ($0.77/lb reg price X 3 lb X 30% off). But I saved much more than that on other items and reduced gas to travel back & forth. I also avoided any drama over free bananas at the local NF. Face With Tears Of Joy
Banned
Jan 1, 2021
374 posts
158 upvotes
Darkman wrote: Well ... I went there this morning .. for store opening ... to my local No Frills.

And I have a TRUE Saga story to tell to y'all ... which involved totally elevated levels of creativity, determination, good luck, bad luck and whatever else ... all neatly wrapped up in one package ... inside the covers of this dramatic Saga story book. :)

I arrived there maybe 7:58 am ... there were few people lined up there already ... maybe 10 or 15 ... ( cold Winnipeg sunny morning --- was -23 below outside or so )

When i went inside ... I noticed that they are not giving out bananas ... but rather something else .... When I got a bit closer, I noticed it was bag of no name potatoes ... (maybe 5 or 6 pounds bag) ... and the woman asking people: "red or white / grey" ... So when it was my turn, I go "BUT ... where are the bananas ... it says in the flyer, it supposed to be bananas" :(
She goes we don't have bananas to give out -- so we are giving free potato instead (this freaking store, even though I like it -- they take Visa there, unlike other No frills stores in Winnipeg ... etc --- never have enough stock, unlike other stores ... Often you see empty shelves here and there and hear "sorry, we are out of this, it's on order" when ask them about goods ... The store opened around a year or two ago (after they closed out Extra Foods at the same location).

Anyhow ... I am not happy ... but i take white bag of potato, when asked again which one I wanted.

I go inside ... straight to bananas ... and they have bananas there ... not TOO TOO many ... but have some never the less.

I take 3 lb of bananas (weight 'em to be 3 lb) ... and go take few more items into my basket -- Cold pressed coconut oil (at wife's request), PC, liquid one (more expensive one), instead of the cream one that they didn't have in stock of course), package of decent quality bacon ( $2.97, 3 dollars off ) and reduced (to clear out fast) package of lemon tarts - 50% off lol :D

And go to cashiers to negotiate the goods I selected.

The lady that was giving out free potatoes was now there ... doing this and that.. --- I go to her. Here are the bananas, I took 3 lb of them ... I don't want the potatoes, I am gonna take these bananas instead?

She goes: NO! ... I am getting p*ssed off .. and go ... where is store owner? ... -- He is not here now?
Who is the supervisor? ... You? ... Yes, she said (they are all supervisors there seemingly, lol).
I go to her... It's in the flyer, advertised and you have 'em ... Just give 'em to me. don't make an issue out of nothing ... and we are done!
She goes NO ... they didn't have 300 lb of bananas to give away, therefore the potatoes at owner's orders (who, again, wasn't there) ... and they must give out potatoes, without making an exception for me ... "What if everyone asks for bananas instead of potatoes" ... I go to her ... I am me, I am not everyone ... I don't care about anyone else. I only speak for myself.
If you don't give it to me ... I guess I'll have to call the head office and complain about the whole thing.
There was a guy in front of me with many items in his cart.

So she is at cash register now ... calling next customer ... the guy in front of me letting me go ahead of him (to her, lol) ... and i go to him: "thank you, but no. You go to her. I'll go to the other cashier" (the guy heard the entire altercation by the way).

So I go to another cashier when it's my turn ... I actually like that guy .... Go to him: Are you a supervisor? ... He goes: Yes, I am (I am telling you, they all are there .. haha).

So I tell him the whole story .. pointing at the woman ... and of course he can't / is not willing to do anything about it :(

Owner is not there to talk ... I told him: "I'll come home and will be complaining to the head office about the whole matter" ... He goes "Sorry".

Meanwhile that woman comes to us ... and goes .. "you are taking TOO LONG .. there are other customers behind me" ... I go to her "I am a customer as well. And have and issue".

Anyhow ... I paid for my items ... and go aside ... The guy clerk is now moved from the cash registers to the front of store, to give out the rest of free potatoes etc I guess.

I check my receipt for errors ... and noticed that he didn't charge me for bananas .. hahahaha ....

I wasn't going go say anything, just walk out of there ... but you know me!

On the way out ... (there wasn't anyone else there at that moment) ... I come to the guy and tell him: "look at the receipt ... -- you didn't charge me for the bananas ... but / so ... let's just keep it that way ... we are DONE basically ... and i won't need to call head office, complain etc .. We are done!"

But, hahaha ... the guy goes to me: "I didn't give you the bananas, I didn't think you want them" ...

WTF ... I look in my bag ... and sure thing ... there are no bananas there ... only the free potatoes and the other items that i bought ... WTF, I go to him, I NEED / WANT the bananas regardless ... we are out of bananas at home ... and i came here for free bananas, but I didn't tell you to put them aside / away ... if you didn't give it to me for free, I want to pay for them ... then come home and complain about the whole thing.

He replies to me: "Give me your potatoes" ... I go: Huh? ... They are free though, no?

He goes: "Give me your potatoes and I'll give you those bananas for free" :)

Wow .. problem solved ... Finally ... in a weird way, but solved ... --- I gave him that bag of potatoes ( we got bunch of potatoes at home by the way ... my wife is Chinese .. hardly even consumes those ... asian people eat rice :) )

We go back inside and he gives me my bananas ... and I walk out of the store ... So i did get my free bananas after all ( probably, to be exact, 3.1 lb of 'em) :D
You should be filming yourself anytime you go for a promo or freebie.

I think people would want to watch this.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11764 upvotes
GTA
faihai wrote: You should be filming yourself anytime you go for a promo or freebie.

They could use it as an educational film on how not to act in public. He couldn't just leave the store when he thought they didn't charge him for the bananas, he had to go over to the other cashier and gloat/rub it in that he got his free bananas. The cashier must have had a laugh at his reaction when he told him the reason he wasn't charged was there were no bananas in the bag. Astonished Face
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2011
11896 posts
24207 upvotes
Darkman wrote: Well ... I went there this morning .. for store opening ... to my local No Frills.

And I have a TRUE Saga story to tell to y'all ... which involved totally elevated levels of creativity, determination, good luck, bad luck and whatever else ... all neatly wrapped up in one package ... inside the covers of this dramatic Saga story book. :)
I check my receipt for errors ... and noticed that he didn't charge me for bananas .. hahahaha ....

I wasn't going go say anything, just walk out of there ... but you know me!

WTF ... I look in my bag ... and sure thing ... there are no bananas there ... < ---THIS LINE WAS PRICELESS!!!

We go back inside and he gives me my bananas ... and I walk out of the store ... So i did get my free bananas after all ( probably, to be exact, 3.1 lb of 'em) :D
OMG, Darkman, your post... I think you can get a paperback going... I was laughing at this story, thanks! :)
faihai wrote: You should be filming yourself anytime you go for a promo or freebie.

I'd watch something like that!