Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1005 posts
247 upvotes
Ontario

[No Frills] Italpasta - 750g - 2 for $1 - ON

No Frills Ontario (Peterborough) flyer today has 2 for $1 Italpasta 750 g on sale effective Thurs Feb 22, 2018 thru Wednesday Feb 28 2018.

This is a great price for pasta. Time to stock up and put some away for a rainy day.
Images
  • pasta.JPG
28 replies
Jan 15, 2018
53 posts
74 upvotes
Can't argue it's a great price but Italpasta is no bueno. Try one pack before you stock up.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1005 posts
247 upvotes
Ontario
FrozenFinger wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 7:55 pm
Can't argue it's a great price but Italpasta is no bueno. Try one pack before you stock up.
Couldn't agree more.

Our family (2+2 young kids) plows through pasta and we try to maintain a food budget so we stock up on this stuff when it is on sale.

Wife and I like to buy some nicer pasta for when we want to really enjoy it (as in, not with the $1 Ragu, also on sale @ No Frills this week iirc)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9500 posts
1239 upvotes
I've always wondered why some pastas have literally 5+ ingredients.... and some brands are only: "durum semonlina pasta". The ones I buy only have 1 ingredient, which is that one, "La Molisana". I've always wondered why there's so much crap in the other pastas....... usually those are the ones that are the cheapest too.

http://www.molisana.com/shop/traditiona ... o4sF5M-dE4
Last edited by aquariaguy on Feb 21st, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Jan 15, 2018
53 posts
74 upvotes
Because the other four ingredients are fillers that are cheaper.

Pasta is traditionally made from durum semolina. Even then, many companies use what's called 'enriched durum semolina' which is not made from pure durum wheat.

Making pasta is really simple and may I add fun, the difference in taste is humongous and its also cheaper than store bought pasta. Almost as cheap as the Italpasta deal OP posted. The only thing is it takes time to make.
aquariaguy wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 8:39 pm
I've always wondered why some pastas have literally 5+ ingredients.... and some brands are only: "durum semonlina pasta". The ones I buy only have 1 ingredient, which is that one. I've always wondered why there's so much crap in the other pastas....... usually those are the ones that are the cheapest too.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
13581 posts
2318 upvotes
I find 907g for $1 pretty rare these days, so 750g for $0.50 is even better.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
1972 posts
1344 upvotes
GTA
FrozenFinger wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 7:55 pm
agreed, heck No Name is better
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
1972 posts
1344 upvotes
GTA
The better deal at NF this week is 1 kg No Name peanut butter for $1

EDIT: 750g Blue Menu same price.

I just created a thread for this
Last edited by Kfox on Feb 21st, 2018 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 17, 2018
29 posts
6 upvotes
Probably the best cheap pasta you can get, way better than Unico or Primo in my opinion. I've never bought those 400g tiny boxes for $1 with this as an option, and I probably never will.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9115 posts
4105 upvotes
FrozenFinger wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:07 pm

Pasta is traditionally made from durum semolina. Even then, many companies use what's called 'enriched durum semolina' which is not made from pure durum wheat.

Making pasta is really simple and may I add fun, the difference in taste is humongous and its also cheaper than store bought pasta. Almost as cheap as the Italpasta deal OP posted. The only thing is it takes time to make.
Really? We have made some home made pasta and its not cheap with the amount of eggs.

Although im sure theres other cheaper recipes post one that you use or pm me.

As for taste homemade is 100 times better
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9500 posts
1239 upvotes
CLMF9867 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:26 pm
Probably the best cheap pasta you can get, way better than Unico or Primo in my opinion. I've never bought those 400g tiny boxes for $1 with this as an option, and I probably never will.
I always buy the $1 boxes for 450g. Yea you get 450g instead of 900g for same price, but like an above poster said you get a ton of filler crap in the pasta.

http://www.molisana.com/shop/traditiona ... o4sF5M-dE4

Has no filler this brand.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
1972 posts
1344 upvotes
GTA
FrozenFinger wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:07 pm

there are no "fillers" in big brand Canadian pasta. the other "4 ingredients" are vitamins that big Canadian companies often add. The same way they add vitamin C to apple juice. It's a long standing Canadian thing done in order to get vitamins into kids, or so they say....IMO it's more like a marketing play as I doubt much of those vitamins survive 10 minutes in boiling water.
Jan 15, 2018
53 posts
74 upvotes
Kfox wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:42 pm
there are no "fillers" in big brand Canadian pasta. the other "4 ingredients" are vitamins that big Canadian companies often add. The same way they add vitamin C to apple juice. It's a long standing Canadian thing done in order to get vitamins into kids, or so they say....IMO it's more like a marketing play as I doubt much of those vitamins survive 10 minutes in boiling water.
I agree, if you are talking about riboflavin, niacin, follic acid etc right those are aditivies but I was talking about what goes in their semolina. Very, very wholesale price of durum semolina is about 24 cents a pound. There is just no way you can use pure durum semolina to make 3lbs of pasta, package it, add a bit of profit, distribute it and have No Frills sell it at a dollar. Mind you, No Frills is making something on it too.

I second that No Name is better than Italpasta.

And someone asked about a recipe for homemade pasta: I usually do 4 eggs and about 1.5 pound of semolina but I've done it with no eggs, just a bit of oil and it works too. Retail price on durum semolina is around $7.5 for 5kg(you can get it cheaper from any African store just make sure it's Durum).
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15113 posts
5379 upvotes
Kfox wrote:
Feb 21st, 2018 9:42 pm
While not specifically about pasta, this article does address mineral loss when cooking, boiling, etc.:
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/jn ... I_S25/_pdf
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2006
1023 posts
457 upvotes
Toronto
The brand used to be premium. I found that over the past year, the quality is not the same.