• Aug 14th, 2019 6:27 pm
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23415 posts
9058 upvotes
mobile_mic wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 6:03 pm
OK, not for my car
If you have a diesel, this could actually be used for your car.

Also chain oil? I don't know anything about chain oil, but this gums up pretty badly.
Does chain oil do that?
TorontoEh wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 6:47 pm
Is this better or avocado or Olive oil?
3 different uses
Canola is a good general purpose oil
Avocado can sub in pretty much everywhere Canola can but it's far more expensive. It also has a much higher smoke point which makes it excellent for searing. Avocado can be used for something like deep frying, but the cost makes it prohibitive.
Olive Oil is a whole different animal, especially extra virgin. This should NOT be used for cooking, but more like finishing. Refined olive oil can be used for cooking, but the additional cost to me doesn't make it worth it over Canola.
I used Pam spray oil for lining pans .
That's usually Canola with a propellant.
Oct 13, 2016
182 posts
157 upvotes
In a galaxy far far …
dekvitaly wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 6:51 pm
Rooster brand is always less than $5 per 3 L bottle :)))
Frankly even cheaper than No Name, not as cheap as Walmart Unico on sales
When that Unicorn oil goes on sale at No Frills it’s a better deal - something like $.8 per L if I recall
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
6628 posts
591 upvotes
TO
Mr.Conviviality wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 11:02 pm
if this is a serious question, the answer is No. Nothing is better than olive (and avocado) oil.

these highly processed oils, sale or not, are perfect for inflammation in your body and messing with your overall heath.
Thanks, yes it was a genuine question, family still uses old style mazola vegetarian or corn oil and I've been telling them to start cooking in olive or avocado oil. They like to use mazola more in curries.
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC ;)

"You can’t soar with the eagles if you’re hanging with the turkeys.”Gary Kent
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1169 posts
384 upvotes
Vaughan
death_hawk wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:14 am
If you have a diesel, this could actually be used for your car.

Also chain oil? I don't know anything about chain oil, but this gums up pretty badly.
Does chain oil do that?
https://www.fs.fed.us/eng/pubs/html/985 ... 11316.html

I switched to straight canola oil as my bar and chain lubricant for my pole saw and chain saws and have no issues with gumming (2 years now). I love not having to keep a container of bar oil in the shed (how long has that been sitting there for?), and instead just grab a fresh container of canola from the kitchen to refill my tank or oil can. And it ain't just me, lots of guys who do way more cutting than I do have happily switched to canola! Very popular in Europe where there is a strong push to reduce fossil oil use in the forest.

Mic
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23415 posts
9058 upvotes
mobile_mic wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 6:18 pm
lots of guys who do way more cutting than I do have happily switched to canola! Very popular in Europe where there is a strong push to reduce fossil oil use in the forest.
Neat!
My only experience with canola is for cooking purposes so it's kind of neat to see other uses.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1169 posts
384 upvotes
Vaughan
Mr.Conviviality wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 11:02 pm
if this is a serious question, the answer is No. Nothing is better than olive (and avocado) oil.

these highly processed oils, sale or not, are perfect for inflammation in your body and messing with your overall heath.
My kitchen cupboard holds many oils, including avocado oil, olive oil, grapeseed oil, sesame oil, canola oil, and they each have different applications they are suited for when cooking. I have read different opinions of the health value of canola oil. There certainly are arguments in favour of its use like this one:

https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/th ... ealth.html

But, whatever you are comfortable with. I also enjoy supporting Canadian canola farmers too, especially since they became a retaliatory target of the Communist Chinese government. Go Canada!

Mic
# D4HK
# FreeSpavor&KovrigNow