[No Frills] New Crop BOTAN CALROSE RICE $12.88 starts Thursday May 16

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 1:48 pm
[OP]
Jan 20, 2018
28 posts
194 upvotes

[No Frills] New Crop BOTAN CALROSE RICE $12.88 starts Thursday May 16

I been waiting for this brand of sushi rice on sale for so long after the winter. No frills will have the new crop for $12.88 tarts tomorrow (Thursday May 16). Real Canadian Superstore occasionally have it on sale for $14.99. Best price was happened last year in Walmart for $9.88, and OSS in three days.

This is my favorite rice, it's incredible, perfect sushi rice. Please don't give me down vote if you prefer long grain jasmine rice.

You can also price match in nearby Walmart store, but remember to choose NEW CROP ONLY, that makes a big difference.

Here is a review from Amazon that may helps you know how to cook it:
This is short grain white rice, which is the most commonly used rice to make "sticky rice" for sushi. I am a novice sushi maker myself and this the only rice I use for my home made sushi. You'll want to read up on how to prepare sushi rice but I can give you my general steps. First, I wash the rice in a strainer until the water runs as clear as possible. Otherwise, the rice powder from processing and packaging will make your rice overly sticky. Next, I soak the rice in my rice maker for 30 minutes, then I use the white rice setting and cook until done, then I leave the rice in the machine on the warm setting for 30 minutes. Afterwards, I season the rice with my rice-vinegar sushi seasoning mix and fan to cool. These basic steps will give great tasting sticky rice.

actng wrote:
May 15th, 2019 5:40 pm
what's new crop only and why does it make a big difference?

also, i don't think you're supposed to wash this rice, cuz it's so expensive it's already prewashed or something?
I bought both New crop and 'old crop' (no New Crop sticker on the bag, see picture) before, I found the new crop smells much fresher and much more sticky. I think this is the time every year the rice just been cropped, and kinda of have all the flavors fresh inside. It's all from my experience.

Yes, you are right, wash is not necessary, but that's not a rule, it all depends on what's your personal preference. Botan is a musenmai rice brand, that can be prepared easily by just adding water. I am copying the Amazon review there to just to bring more aspects how people cook it. To use the rice for sushi, you don't want the rice to be very sticky, that's why he washes three times. Thanks for bring that into my attention, I should clarify it in my OP.

Here is a website to explain what is Musenmai Rice for people don't know what it is
Images
  • Annotation 2019-05-15 170008.png
Last edited by BlankdeBlack on May 15th, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15405 posts
1288 upvotes
Scarborough

also, i don't think you're supposed to wash this rice, cuz it's so expensive it's already prewashed or something?
[OP]
Jan 20, 2018
28 posts
194 upvotes
actng wrote:
May 15th, 2019 5:40 pm

I bought both New crop and 'old crop' (no New Crop sticker on the bag, see picture) before, I found the new crop smells much fresher and much more sticky. I think this is the time every year the rice just been cropped, and kinda of have all the flavors fresh inside. It's all from my experience.

Yes, you are right, wash is not necessary, but that's not a rule, it all depends on what's your personal preference. Botan is a musenmai rice brand, that can be prepared easily by just adding water. I am copying the Amazon review there to just to bring more aspects how people cook it. To use the rice for sushi, you don't want the rice to be very sticky, that's why he washes three times. Thanks for bring that into my attention, I should clarify it in my OP.

Here is a website to explain what is Musenmai Rice, if people still don't know what it is.
Images
  • Annotation 2019-05-15 174830.png
Oct 8, 2015
535 posts
245 upvotes
white rice is yummy, I've had it for 30 years in my life...but you can intake brown rice instead for a healthier life...
Jul 4, 2018
198 posts
114 upvotes
naticom wrote:
May 15th, 2019 6:12 pm
white rice is yummy, I've had it for 30 years in my life...but you can intake brown rice instead for a healthier life...
Oh man i would love to be 30 again. Thumbs Up SignThumbs Up Sign

I didnt like the brown rice when ive tried it. May be i didn't try it long enough.

This is my go to brand. Ive stocked up from last sale. I cant go by too long without having rice in my system. Feels like im missing something. May be its all in the mind.
Last edited by TomRFD on May 17th, 2019 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed inappropriate comment
Put some resphek on my name!
Aug 10, 2013
253 posts
140 upvotes
Mississauga
BlankdeBlack wrote:
May 15th, 2019 5:26 pm
I been waiting for this brand of sushi rice on sale for so long after the winter. No frills will have the new crop for $12.88 tarts tomorrow (Thursday May 16). Real Canadian Superstore occasionally have it on sale for $14.99. Best price was happened last year in Walmart for $9.88, and OSS in three days.

This is my favorite rice, it's incredible, perfect sushi rice. Please don't give me down vote if you prefer long grain jasmine rice.

You can also price match in nearby Walmart store, but remember to choose NEW CROP ONLY, that makes a big difference.

Here is a review from Amazon that may helps you know how to cook it:

Here is a website to explain what is Musenmai Rice for people don't know what it is
Does this rice have some preservatives? It is a common problem of all white rice.
Thanks Op anyway!
[OP]
Jan 20, 2018
28 posts
194 upvotes
bonegraft wrote:
May 15th, 2019 10:02 pm
Does this rice have some preservatives? It is a common problem of all white rice.
Thanks Op anyway!
I think not just preservative, also Musenmai Rice has a better flavor, healthier and environment friendly.
Oct 3, 2018
770 posts
729 upvotes
GTA
Thanks @BlankdeBlack

If not looking specifically for a 'sushi rice', @BlankdeBlack or anyone, thoughts on the Rooster Scented Jasmine Rice also at No Frills 8kg bag $12.87?

A bag this size lasts so long ... remember buying Rooster when it was on sale for $9.97, which means we bought ages ago! lol
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2010
2374 posts
437 upvotes
Montreal
such a shame I didn't stock enough during the walmart deal and running low in stock and we got no "no frills" over here =/
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
15405 posts
1288 upvotes
Scarborough
tarushin wrote:
May 17th, 2019 10:01 am
such a shame I didn't stock enough during the walmart deal and running low in stock and we got no "no frills" over here =/
there's a post on subtle asian traits that rice after 6 months will grow cockroaches cuz that's how rice is. i still don't believe it but apparently it's a thing.

i've had rice open for a year and nothing grows out of them. i wonder if they're talking about wild rice sold in the open and not the packaged stuff we get.