No Name 8.3lbs Charcoal Briquettes $1.50 YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2021 5:24 pm
[OP]
Sep 3, 2008
425 posts
426 upvotes

[No Frills] No Name 8.3lbs Charcoal Briquettes $1.50 YMMV

Just saw at my local No Frills (Winnipeg) they are selling the 8.3lbs bags of No Name charcoal briquettes for $1.50.

Enjoy
Last edited by Omnicron204 on Sep 25th, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 2, 2008
2446 posts
1724 upvotes
GTA
Be warned and watch out.
Some one will say stop burning coal. It is BAD for the environment, it is killing the ozone.
¸

- - - - -
;)
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2150 posts
1546 upvotes
Ottawa
We got a few of them couple years ago and they're useless, I wouldn't recommend them. They can't even keep the bbq warm and they only last for a bit.

Give 1 a try before the end of the season before stocking up
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2018
1174 posts
1162 upvotes
Toronto
DragOnT wrote: Be warned and watch out.
Some one will say stop burning coal. It is BAD for the environment, it is killing the ozone.
I hear you haha.

My reply to them is so is methane, and we all have to pass gas at some point in time haha.
Youth is the gift of nature, age is a work of art.
Apr 8, 2005
819 posts
306 upvotes
I used these on a few smokes and have not had any issues. For this price, use a whole bag if need be.
And definitely agree with others, not recommended for longer smokes.
Last edited by karlsberg on Sep 25th, 2021 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 26, 2008
973 posts
963 upvotes
Surrey
DragOnT wrote: Be warned and watch out.
Currently burning briquettes right now to cook. Yum yum yum
Feb 26, 2008
973 posts
963 upvotes
Surrey
Just be mindful these are pretty much one time use so if you are expecting to reuse some of these later...forget it. They crumble to ashes. These really are by far the worst briquettes I have ever used but I say this because I used these for longer cooks and the amount of ash and briquettes used was pretty crazy. They tend to burn up quick. In terms of weight and size, they are a bit smaller than the Kingsford.

Any bets on which one of us is gonna go up in a massive inferno with the stock pile we will amass? I am already into my second bag of the royal oak briquettes...I can't stop grilling!

For the price, light 'em up!
Apr 7, 2015
631 posts
498 upvotes
Vancouver Island
rancid82 wrote: Just be mindful these are pretty much one time use so if you are expecting to reuse some of these later...forget it. They crumble to ashes. These really are by far the worst briquettes I have ever used but I say this because I used these for longer cooks and the amount of ash and briquettes used was pretty crazy. They tend to burn up quick. In terms of weight and size, they are a bit smaller than the Kingsford.

Any bets on which one of us is gonna go up in a massive inferno with the stock pile we will amass? I am already into my second bag of the royal oak briquettes...I can't stop grilling!

For the price, light 'em up!
I bought an entire pallet of 38 of the Kingsford premium briquettes and the grilling has been amazing - no idea why I never knew charcoal was that much better than propane for flavour. A bunch of my friends are also now new converts!

Hopefully my home doesn't go up in flames for the sake of BBQ 🤣
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
3153 posts
4795 upvotes
GTA North
Hot price. Last year around this time I remember they were selling the 8lb bags at $2.94 at the Loblaws by Markville Mall. Got like 8 bags back then but didn't BBQ much this year. :(
...Location: GTA North
If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.
GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread
[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100)
Jun 10, 2018
2 posts
2 upvotes
I bought these a while ago as they were on sale and then tried them on my charcoal grill. They were absolute garbage. They wouldn't even stay on long enough after lighting them multiple times, I even put a bunch of paper under the briquette mound and lit it too and they still wouldn't light. Honestly I never expected to have to deal with something that didn't work at all!!. I had to go out and buy another brand and use those ones as the majority of briquettes to get the grill going. What a disappointment this purchase was!
Nov 1, 2017
219 posts
185 upvotes
I used these for smaller BBQs at the park.
bought a small bbq from dollarama a year ago, brought some small pieces of wood and would light the wood, add the coals and then let it go out.
Was able to bbq skewers and slim sirloin steaks, hamburgers without a problem.
Didnt try on anything that needed more time such as chicken breast.