Pineapple $1

No Frills (Ontario)
May 30 to June 5, 2019
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
28 replies
Feb 7, 2017
115 posts
60 upvotes
I had bad experiences with dollar pineapples, they're often greenish and turn rotten brown later.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2678 posts
4297 upvotes
pchiggy wrote: Are these the bad pineapples? greenish brown and will never ripen just rot.
Produce is going to vary in quality from store to store and from day to day for any fruit or vegetable. I've gotten some from No Frills before that weren't sweet, but also some that if you wait about a week, are super-sweet. The No Frills pineapples are usually small. Sometimes, I pricematch at Walmart, and get ones that are double the size.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2012
5671 posts
1848 upvotes
Space
That happens with all of them. You have to eat it within the sweet spot.
pchiggy wrote: I had bad experiences with dollar pineapples, they're often greenish and turn rotten brown later.
Feb 24, 2012
215 posts
131 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
I dont wanna make a whole thread but is 2.88 a pound of lean ground beef at food basics considered a good deal for ground beef?.

To the above poster, iv bought a couple of pineapples at no frills and all have been good so far.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2002
1640 posts
1045 upvotes
I am in the produce wholesale business and purchase pineapples from Costa Rica from the grower and pay more than that direct from the farm, without adding freight and exchange !

I was shocked to see such a price ! They could be from Mexico, which is cheaper, and could explain some of the inconsistancies in quality some have found in the past.

If they are from Costa Rica, i would stock up ! The ONLY pineapple grown there is MD2 variety and is the MOST common variety sold in North America!
What dancing banana ?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
2223 posts
1243 upvotes
GTA
If the pineapple is green when I purchase it I usually leave it out for about a week. On sunny days I let the pineapple see some sun but putting it beside the kitchen window.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2678 posts
4297 upvotes
Curiosity wrote: I am in the produce wholesale business and purchase pineapples from Costa Rica from the grower and pay more than that direct from the farm, without adding freight and exchange !

I was shocked to see such a price ! They could be from Mexico, which is cheaper, and could explain some of the inconsistancies in quality some have found in the past.

If they are from Costa Rica, i would stock up ! The ONLY pineapple grown there is MD2 variety and is the MOST common variety sold in North America!
Not to say that there couldn't be stock substitutions, the flyer does say product of Costa Rica.
Last edited by computergeek541 on Jun 2nd, 2019 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2678 posts
4297 upvotes
dan1709 wrote: I dont wanna make a whole thread but is 2.88 a pound of lean ground beef at food basics considered a good deal for ground beef?.
It's about as good as you're going to get. Some people might tell you that it's not a.good price because Costco has it about the same price. However, then sometimes, no one is able to show you a lower price. Anything below $3/lb for fresh lean ground beef is excellent as regular pricing is usually about double. In recent times, I can't rememeber this going below $2.77/lb.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9123 posts
7462 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Thanks, picked up 2.
Got some for the same price from Asian supermarket last year.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2008
1786 posts
807 upvotes
Home
Curiosity wrote: I am in the produce wholesale business and purchase pineapples from Costa Rica from the grower and pay more than that direct from the farm, without adding freight and exchange !

What type are the large pineapples grown and consumed on Oahu ( Hawaii)?
Oct 16, 2007
337 posts
63 upvotes
Barrie
I bought 2 they were fantastic buying 2 more tomorrow
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2008
1153 posts
223 upvotes
Shaikh2020 wrote: Thanks op !
Bought 2 from Walmart, price matched .
This is new to me, does fruit have to be same brand (like electronics, lol) for price-matching?
another thread says watermelon was also price matched...
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2678 posts
4297 upvotes
phht wrote: This is new to me, does fruit have to be same brand (like electronics, lol) for price-matching?
another thread says watermelon was also price matched...
Fruit is usually fine as long as no brand name is mentioned in the competitor's advertisement. They could use the different brand argument if there is a brand sticker on the produce in-store. They probably have that clause so that they have another possible reason to not price match. My experiences are that they often refuse to price match meat because Your Fresh Market (even though that is just Walmart) is a different "brand" than the competitor's no-name store packaged meat. I''ve been refused by Walmart because their chicken and pork is Maple Leaf, altbough I bet that many times, the competitor is using the same supplier.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
4814 posts
2718 upvotes
Toronto
Shaikh2020 wrote: Thanks op !
Bought 2 from Walmart, price matched .
I'm curious - how do they compare size wise with No Frills?
Is it the same?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2007
2415 posts
1192 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't mind having the size but surely getting 10000 for whole year cheap pineapples
Optimus prime I need your help ( your truck)
Apr 20, 2015
185 posts
155 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I got Walmart to price match and grabbed 4
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
959 upvotes
YK

NF near us, pineapples were product of Chile
these can be frozen, since President's Choice sells them for $4.99
https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/F ... 0977547_EA
you may be able to grow your own from the NF pineapple
Dec 2, 2017
86 posts
35 upvotes
shikotee wrote: I'm curious - how do they compare size wise with No Frills?
Is it the same?
danned wrote: I don't mind having the size but surely getting 10000 for whole year cheap pineapples
Optimus prime I need your help ( your truck)
It’s normal with Walmart ,
They price matched every advertised price and in case of produce , all are same in terms of quality.
They don’t need to match costarica vs Mexico .
Just pine apple or watermelon is ok!
Grab n enjoy!