Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
No Frills

PC Knife Set $24.33 (forged)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2023 5:21 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1251 posts
1638 upvotes
Grand Prairie
djzapz wrote: I don't understand this. For one, nobody should leave a honing steel laying on a counter unless it's sitting neatly in a knife block. Put that thing in a drawer. But also, it's not really the counter space that's the problem, it's the sharpening. I don't want to freehand drag a carbide chunk across my knives every week scraping off a bunch of metal. I don't need to sharpen my knives every few uses, they stay sharp for months or years, so when I get around to sharpening them, I take my time and do it well.
I used to be like this, hand sharpening my carbon steel japanese knives, taking great care. Now I use cheap stainless knives from ikea or costco, they go into the dishwasher everyday. They get honed on the bottom of a coffee mug, way easier.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10492 posts
7618 upvotes
ON
miningminer wrote: I used to be like this, hand sharpening my carbon steel japanese knives, taking great care. Now I use cheap stainless knives from ikea or costco, they go into the dishwasher everyday. They get honed on the bottom of a coffee mug, way easier.
So what you're saying is we should all just give up and not care about anything because it's way easier that way ? I see...sound logic.
Nov 19, 2016
905 posts
621 upvotes
Ferinthu1 wrote: Sharpened on a speedy sharp and you’ll be surprised of the results
I have an old German made chef's knife that has lost it's edge. I tried Speedy Sharp a few times and not sure why but it just hasn't gotten sharp. I've followed youtube instructions but unsure what I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions on how to use speedy sharp on a knife?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1251 posts
1638 upvotes
Grand Prairie
dilligafeh wrote: So what you're saying is we should all just give up and not care about anything because it's way easier that way ? I see...sound logic.
pretty much, if it serves the same purpose in the end. Sharpness is a curve, you could spend an hour stropping a knife until its sharp enough to shave but after a few cuts you're back to not sharp enough to shave again.
Mar 10, 2012
336 posts
343 upvotes
THORNHILL
miningminer wrote: pretty much, if it serves the same purpose in the end. Sharpness is a curve, you could spend an hour stropping a knife until its sharp enough to shave but after a few cuts you're back to not sharp enough to shave again.
Then you did it wrong, or your steel is crap, or both. My edges stay sharp for months (years?) with only the occasional honing on a ceramic rod.

I do take care of my blades, they don't go into the dishwasher and I clean them as soon as I'm done with them - but that's only part of it.
Feb 2, 2015
675 posts
1217 upvotes
Calgary, AB
It's a cheap knife set at a low price and will work just fine for many people. +1
Deal Addict
May 13, 2015
1426 posts
1989 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Are these forged by the Dark Lord Sauron in the fires of Mount Doom?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1251 posts
1638 upvotes
Grand Prairie
brianl999 wrote: Then you did it wrong, or your steel is crap, or both. My edges stay sharp for months (years?) with only the occasional honing on a ceramic rod.

I do take care of my blades, they don't go into the dishwasher and I clean them as soon as I'm done with them - but that's only part of it.
sharp enough to shave? I'm not the best at sharpening but I have a set of stones, the chef's choice electric sharpener, and I used to pay for professional sharpening. The truth is when I'm cooking there's more important things to worry about than washing/wiping a knife immediately after cutting something acidic and then putting it back on the wall to dry. My handmade santoku is just for decoration at this point. I much prefer chinese cleaver style of knife and the lack of maintenance associated with them.
Last edited by miningminer on Mar 20th, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 16, 2007
507 posts
503 upvotes
dilligafeh wrote: You can forge chocolate, and sharpen it, but it still won't hold an edge. Material of the blade is what makes a high quality knife, not the looks or "forged" moniker.
But will it keel?
Mar 10, 2012
336 posts
343 upvotes
THORNHILL
miningminer wrote: sharp enough to shave?
Absolutely. I have a splitting axe that will shave the hair off your forearm (and it sees regular use).
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2008
1142 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
Don't use a speedy sharp for your kitchen knives. Save it for outdoor gear. There's too much unpredictability and risk of a wrong angle to use a speedy sharp on a kitchen knife, but that's just my opinion. I've got all kinds of sharpening devices, from manual $30 push/pull-type sharpeners, to electric ones (Trizor XV), to whetstones, to speedy sharps, and they all have their purpose and use cases, whether for indoor or outdoor knives and blades.

Like someone else said, that speedy sharp shouldn't go anywhere near your kitchen knives. If your knives cost $5, then do whatever your want with them to sharpen, whether that's the bottom of a ceramic mug or a speedy sharp, but for your $50 Victorianox and above, stick to proper sharpening tools for your kitchen knives.

I'd suggest one of these if you're looking for something fast and easy, and fairly inexpensive. You'll see these and variations of this from Costco or elsewhere for like $30, so that's the price I'd aim for before pulling the trigger.
MisterTeee wrote: I have an old German made chef's knife that has lost it's edge. I tried Speedy Sharp a few times and not sure why but it just hasn't gotten sharp. I've followed youtube instructions but unsure what I'm doing wrong.

Any suggestions on how to use speedy sharp on a knife?
Nov 19, 2016
905 posts
621 upvotes
TH3R wrote: Don't use a speedy sharp for your kitchen knives. Save it for outdoor gear. There's too much unpredictability and risk of a wrong angle to use a speedy sharp on a kitchen knife, but that's just my opinion. I've got all kinds of sharpening devices, from manual $30 push/pull-type sharpeners, to electric ones (Trizor XV), to whetstones, to speedy sharps, and they all have their purpose and use cases, whether for indoor or outdoor knives and blades.

Like someone else said, that speedy sharp shouldn't go anywhere near your kitchen knives. If your knives cost $5, then do whatever your want with them to sharpen, whether that's the bottom of a ceramic mug or a speedy sharp, but for your $50 Victorianox and above, stick to proper sharpening tools for your kitchen knives.

I'd suggest one of these if you're looking for something fast and easy, and fairly inexpensive. You'll see these and variations of this from Costco or elsewhere for like $30, so that's the price I'd aim for before pulling the trigger.
Thank you.. RFD education for the win
Dec 27, 2008
797 posts
748 upvotes
miningminer wrote: sharp enough to shave? I'm not the best at sharpening but I have a set of stones, the chef's choice electric sharpener, and I used to pay for professional sharpening. The truth is when I'm cooking there's more important things to worry about than washing/wiping a knife immediately after cutting something acidic and then putting it back on the wall to dry. My handmade santoku is just for decoration at this point. I much prefer chinese cleaver style of knife and the lack of maintenance associated with them.
Why would you need a cooking knife to be sharp enough to shave though? I have a Masakage that'll do that, but you don't need to be a knife snob to have good sharp knives. Victorinox makes solid knives with metallurgy that's tried and true and it'll get plenty sharp. It'll hold an edge for a long time and definitely doesn't need to be babied.
Last edited by djzapz on Mar 20th, 2023 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2017
1251 posts
1638 upvotes
Grand Prairie
djzapz wrote: Why would you need a cooking knife to be sharp enough to shave though? I have a Masakage that'll do that, but you don't need to be a knife snob to have good sharp knives. Victorinox makes solid knives with metallurgy that's tries and true and it'll get plenty sharp. It'll hold an edge for a long time and definitely doesn't need to be babied.
I also have a carbon steel Masakage. It really turned me off japanese knives because of the care it needs.

I know where you're coming from. I'm just sharing that my light bulb moment for knives went off when I started not caring and using cheap knives (as long as the shape and size are correct) and giving them a couple of flicks on a ceramic mug whenever I need the sharpness. They always go in the dishwasher.

I think 99% of people who cook at home are best served with cheap knives, frequent sharpening, and this fad in Japanese Damascus santoku is kind of silly.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
4313 posts
2738 upvotes
Canada
Not a fan of the PC logo on the knife block.
Dec 27, 2008
797 posts
748 upvotes
miningminer wrote: I also have a carbon steel Masakage. It really turned me off japanese knives because of the care it needs.

I know where you're coming from. I'm just sharing that my light bulb moment for knives went off when I started not caring and using cheap knives (as long as the shape and size are correct) and giving them a couple of flicks on a ceramic mug whenever I need the sharpness. They always go in the dishwasher.

I think 99% of people who cook at home are best served with cheap knives, frequent sharpening, and this fad in Japanese Damascus santoku is kind of silly.
I have 2 fancy Japanese knives and I rarely use them for the same reason.

But there's such a huge difference between random Chinese knives that claim to be "forged" (please...) and decent European knives. No one needs expensive knives, but I really don't see why anyone would buy stuff like this when Victorinox knives are so affordable and so good.
Deal Guru
Aug 15, 2015
10492 posts
7618 upvotes
ON
falkon57 wrote: But will it keel?
It will make yout teeth rot...then not being able to eat solid food will keel...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2008
1142 posts
830 upvotes
Toronto
It’s funny we’re all kinda in the same boat. I’ve got some carbon steel aogami supers that can slice atoms but they’re so high maintenance I rarely use them as well. Then there’s some VG10 blades that I’ll use 30% of the time. Then there’s my OG Zwillings that I use 70% of the time as my beater knives which honestly, feels great that I don’t have to worry about and can abuse them (mildly) and really not give af.

And yeah agree also about this silly fad of owning fancy Japanese knives. Of course I have some, as I think we all start with that obsession and eventually old age and/or wisdom sets in and we realize a low maintenance knife is really the way to go. That said, I won’t go as far as sharpening my knives from a mug, nor throw them in the dishwasher Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Winking Eye
djzapz wrote: I have 2 fancy Japanese knives and I rarely use them for the same reason.

But there's such a huge difference between random Chinese knives that claim to be "forged" (please...) and decent European knives. No one needs expensive knives, but I really don't see why anyone would buy stuff like this when Victorinox knives are so affordable and so good.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
djzapz wrote: random Chinese knives that claim to be "forged" (please...)
Is there some doubt that they are forged?
That in no way implies quality.
It is just a method of manufacture.
EnthusedLemur wrote: Hand forged on an anvil
Similar here.
Are you assuming forged requires a hammer and anvil?
Things can be machine forged.
Nov 5, 2018
845 posts
1009 upvotes
djzapz wrote: I don't understand this. For one, nobody should leave a honing steel laying on a counter unless it's sitting neatly in a knife block. Put that thing in a drawer. But also, it's not really the counter space that's the problem, it's the sharpening. I don't want to freehand drag a carbide chunk across my knives every week scraping off a bunch of metal. I don't need to sharpen my knives every few uses, they stay sharp for months or years, so when I get around to sharpening them, I take my time and do it well.
brianl999 wrote: I have one of these. Works great on my lawnmower blade. Not a chance it's getting anywhere near my kitchen knives...
Very disappointing to see that people do not know how to use a speedy sharp and see the benefits to it. The speedy sharp can also be used as a straightening steel.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)