Shopping Discussion

No Frills on a thursday.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2010 3:27 pm
Oct 20, 2006
94 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
The No Frills at my place always has the sale items at the Dufferin Mall location. When something is on sale at WalMart I still go to No Frills to price match just to get PC Points with my Mastercard plus the bonus 50 PC Points for using my resusable grocery bad :D
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
I PMed lean ground beef at No Frills :)

The grocery highlights thread has saved me a ton of time running round.
I think I will try the price match at Walmart if anything good comes up.

As it stands now, for the rest of the year my laundry will cost pennies as far as laundry soap goes. I have a few cases of the arm and hammer + old dutch that I got for $2 per bottle.

I just wish Egg Beaters would go on sale again as my freezer is running low. (yes they freeze great)
Mar 18, 2002
457 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
must be specific to the store. In mine, most of the time, I cannot find sale things Tue/Wed, but they usually get refilled last day of the sale.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
xxmike83xx wrote: The No Frills at my place always has the sale items at the Dufferin Mall location. When something is on sale at WalMart I still go to No Frills to price match just to get PC Points with my Mastercard plus the bonus 50 PC Points for using my resusable grocery bad :D
Kuurgen wrote: I PMed lean ground beef at No Frills :)

The grocery highlights thread has saved me a ton of time running round.
I think I will try the price match at Walmart if anything good comes up.

As it stands now, for the rest of the year my laundry will cost pennies as far as laundry soap goes. I have a few cases of the arm and hammer + old dutch that I got for $2 per bottle.

I just wish Egg Beaters would go on sale again as my freezer is running low. (yes they freeze great)
Just curious how the PM went at No Frills. I've tried it at 2 No Frills and it wasn't worth it as at both stores the cashier isn't allowed to authorize PMs. They have to call a manager, wait, the manager has to come and initial the flyer. The cashier then has to file a copy (or the actual flyer) with the manager's initial in the till. It took a long time and the line up was growing at both stores I was at. The total opposite of price matching at Walmart (which is the main reason I now do most of my shopping at the Walmart Superstore).

Just wondering if your experience was the same or if the policy is store specific?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
I went to the no frills today an hour ago (Thursday) and remembered this thread. For front page sales they were out of the Bounty paper towels and the Tide on sale. They had lot of those back ribs left though....apparently many stores are stuck with a bunch. I don't like those cryovac back ribs anyway.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2010
1229 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I would hate to see welfare recipients shop at Loblaws or Metro then. I mean, what the hell is that guy's problem with poor people? Does he laugh and point at people who drive beaters or wear sneakers with their toes poking out of the shoe?

Show some class!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8910 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
i go out of my way to hit up Costco for the ground beef when needed and we freeze it in 1 pound servings...it's just world better and waaaay cheaper than all the grocery stores.
Jan 3, 2009
328 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
Agreed the paper towel/ Toilet paper.
At the No Frills that I work at its very small compared to other No Frills. (literally about half the size.)

We don't have room for unlimited skids of that stuff.

Four skids on the floor of paper towel/ Toilet paper and that can be gone in an hour if each person buys the limit.

Another thing is we just don't have the room to store more specials.

If we order too much and it isn't selling and it spoils who's on the hook for paying that.....the customers?

You get what you pay for.

Also about PM's each store only has certain competitors that they will match and shoppers is not one of them for any store.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2497 posts
388 upvotes
Ajax
sillysimms wrote: Just curious how the PM went at No Frills. I've tried it at 2 No Frills and it wasn't worth it as at both stores the cashier isn't allowed to authorize PMs. They have to call a manager, wait, the manager has to come and initial the flyer. The cashier then has to file a copy (or the actual flyer) with the manager's initial in the till. It took a long time and the line up was growing at both stores I was at. The total opposite of price matching at Walmart (which is the main reason I now do most of my shopping at the Walmart Superstore).

Just wondering if your experience was the same or if the policy is store specific?
It wasn't bad, but it was the same process. It wasn't busy so I had no problems waiting.

They have never seen anybody PM lean ground beef, but it saved me about $12 off what it would have normally cost.

They would only PM a max of four meat trays, and I think this policy applies to all items that they PM.

Overall not a bad experience, definitely don't do it on a Saturday or Friday night, I have found Sunday night at 6pm to be an optimum shopping time. (no crowds, and sometimes OOS on sale items)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Kuurgen wrote: It wasn't bad, but it was the same process. It wasn't busy so I had no problems waiting.

They have never seen anybody PM lean ground beef, but it saved me about $12 off what it would have normally cost.

They would only PM a max of four meat trays, and I think this policy applies to all items that they PM.

Overall not a bad experience, definitely don't do it on a Saturday or Friday night, I have found Sunday night at 6pm to be an optimum shopping time. (no crowds, and sometimes OOS on sale items)
Thanks for posting your experience. It would be worthwhile for saving $12 :)
Jan 3, 2009
328 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
Btw we have 4 skids of that Nestle pure life water left.....the one that was on sale last week.

I'm just saying.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
1168 posts
53 upvotes
gostinger wrote: You have to be unemployed , welfare mom to snag the specials cause while we work they pillage the deals

Or you have to be married to a man/woman making a decent salary so you have the opportunity to take care of the kids the traditional way instead of being forced to farm them out to daycare.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 26, 2008
5135 posts
55 upvotes
sillysimms wrote: Best thing is just take the flyer and go to Walmart and price match. I find this at No Frills, but also other grocery stores. There often is low stock or little selection for some sale items. I just take the flyer and go to Walmart. Price matching there is very quick and easy and they more frequently have the item in stock than the stores with the sale. Having said that, I do sometimes shop at No Frills, but have been doing more and more price matching at Walmart because of the issue you mention (and it isn't just on Thursdays). I also tried a price match twice at No Frills under their new price matching policy and it wasn't easy and took a lot of time as they have to call a manager, get them to come over and sign the flyer and they have to keep the flyer in their till. Not simple or quick at all.

Can you get a raincheck?
I always do that with other stores.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
Bookpreviews wrote: Can you get a raincheck?
I always do that with other stores.

Nope. No Frills doesn't offer rain checks. I actually did mention in one of my posts in the thread, that would be a way for them to ease some of these customer complaints, but it isn't something they do so it is often best to price match somewhere else. I still do go to No Frills for some of the No Name products I do like (and can only get at the Loblaws chain of stores) and will pick up some other things while I'm there.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8910 posts
852 upvotes
Toronto
no frills needs to start carrying that PC Guacamole mix so I don't need to make a special trip to Loblaws anymore :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
sillysimms wrote: Nope. No Frills doesn't offer rain checks. I actually did mention in one of my posts in the thread, that would be a way for them to ease some of these customer complaints, but it isn't something they do so it is often best to price match somewhere else. I still do go to No Frills for some of the No Name products I do like (and can only get at the Loblaws chain of stores) and will pick up some other things while I'm there.
One reason that may prevent rainchecks are several products that NF has on sale are not always regularly carried at all stores and some may be one time things. This includes a few brands of cheese that usually have a good sale price, those 2lb strawberries, many of the cryovac meats, I recall a few bread brands, and just think about the semi annual dollar ad merchandise portions. These would make the raincheck useless.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7816 posts
1290 upvotes
GTA
No Frills wrote: One reason that may prevent rainchecks are several products that NF has on sale are not always regularly carried at all stores and some may be one time things. This includes a few brands of cheese that usually have a good sale price, those 2lb strawberries, many of the cryovac meats, I recall a few bread brands, and just think about the semi annual dollar ad merchandise portions. These would make the raincheck useless.

That makes sense also. I'm sure customers would be even more upset if they couldn't get the product when it was on sale AND they couldn't use the raincheck later on :)