• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2022 11:13 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 28, 2010
293 posts
516 upvotes
vancouver
it isn't inflation that is causing the rise in canola/vegeoil. Heat wave this summer, record low yield.
Dec 20, 2018
653 posts
1022 upvotes
stcv3 wrote: Vegetable Oil sounds just a healthy as corn syrup...If veggies produce oil why do people put oil on their salads?
Is this a troll question? Look up how we got antibiotics.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4633 posts
5831 upvotes
GTA
sushibucket wrote:
This is the best vegetable oil I've used from a grocery store. Seems to be much more pure and even after multiple deep fries it doesn't give off the oxidizing smell and food doesnt get dark. I bought 5 containers of them last time they were on sale and after 2 years I'm on my 3rd
What's the ingredients?

The Unico is "Soybean Oil And/or Canola Oil And/or Corn Oil"
Aug 15, 2018
270 posts
578 upvotes
The No name brand 3L Canola Oil will be on sale for $5.88. Personal offer 1400 points for every $7 available as well if you happen to have it
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36807 posts
4972 upvotes
Winnipeg
is there an oil shortage I don't know about? these prices are messed up.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1788 posts
3493 upvotes
droopytrash wrote: I got one for xmas. Every time half the fires were over cooked and the rest uncooked. Gave it away. Deep fryer is the way to go.
You're supposed to mix them up or shake them halfway you know that right??
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Nov 26, 2016
453 posts
915 upvotes
Imagine how much us South Asian Canadians are hurting.. making curry is so damn expensive now.. vegetable oil went from $3.97/$4.97 to $10.99 🤦🏽🤷🏽‍♂️
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3528 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote: is there an oil shortage I don't know about? these prices are messed up.
xbournex wrote: it isn't inflation that is causing the rise in canola/vegeoil. Heat wave this summer, record low yield.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3528 upvotes
Toronto
AndrewT5406 wrote: The No name brand 3L Canola Oil will be on sale for $5.88. Personal offer 1400 points for every $7 available as well if you happen to have it
When is that and at which store?
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36807 posts
4972 upvotes
Winnipeg
mysttz wrote: Imagine how much us South Asian Canadians are hurting.. making curry is so damn expensive now.. vegetable oil went from $3.97/$4.97 to $10.99 🤦🏽🤷🏽‍♂️
everyone uses cooking oil though
WTB amazon gc @90%
Oct 2, 2009
571 posts
371 upvotes
divx wrote: is there an oil shortage I don't know about? these prices are messed up.
Prices for everything has been messed up for a while.

There was a post on insta by a chef saying how prices for oil, wings, take out containers and many other things are forcing her to increase prices.
Oct 2, 2009
571 posts
371 upvotes
mysttz wrote: Imagine how much us South Asian Canadians are hurting.. making curry is so damn expensive now.. vegetable oil went from $3.97/$4.97 to $10.99 🤦🏽🤷🏽‍♂️
If you are vegetarian/vegan then not much I can help.

If you eat meat save and hoard the fat.

If you eat lots of chicken then buying whole chicken and butchering it yourself is worth it. Save the spine/bones/other inedible parts for chix stock. Skim and save the chix fat for cooking. If you are super frugal like me pick the bones clear of meat after making stock. Not much flavour left but throw it into your curry or what not to bulk it up.

Searing beef/pork for w.e? Dont use oil. Sear the fatty bits first. Plenty of oil, usually.

Bonus: Save all veg trimmings like onion end and skins and even carrot skins (make sure they are clean or wash). Keep them in an airtight container in the freezer and once you accumulate enough either throw it in your chix stock or make a vege stock just with the trimmings.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3528 upvotes
Toronto
AndrewT5406 wrote: Also No Frills from Jan 13 to Jan 19
I didn't spot the sale in the flyer
Jan 23, 2019
205 posts
137 upvotes
Leafs Nation
herrdude wrote: Or air fry!
Air frying is an oxymoron. One cannot fry with air. Air fryers are glorified convection ovens.
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1622 posts
905 upvotes
SW Ontario
mmartins25 wrote: Poison for your body. Same is Canola oil. Extra virgin Olive oil is the way to go fellas and stop frying everything Face With Tears Of Joy
Olive oil and vegetable oil are two different things. Vegetable oil is a cooking oil. You should definitely eat more olive oil but you probably shouldn't cook with it. It breaks down at such a low temperature even baking with it isn't wise.

Unless you're just eating raw or steamed this probably isn't the best advice. If you want to saute or make a stir fry and you only have EVO you're probably doing yourself more harm than good. There's a place for everything in moderation.
Sep 21, 2020
127 posts
119 upvotes
alpha2omega wrote: Olive oil and vegetable oil are two different things. Vegetable oil is a cooking oil. You should definitely eat more olive oil but you probably shouldn't cook with it. It breaks down at such a low temperature even baking with it isn't wise.

Unless you're just eating raw or steamed this probably isn't the best advice. If you want to saute or make a stir fry and you only have EVO you're probably doing yourself more harm than good. There's a place for everything in moderation.
Precisely the awesomeness about the Extra virgin olive oil is that you can eat it at room temperature or cook it at pretty high temperatures and still conserve its good properties, whereas with any other oils you basically burn the oil generating bad substances for your body. This is not an opinion, it is science. Olive oil is the best for cooking and to eat raw. Another story is if you don't like the taste as much for desserts, where maybe you can use coconut oil.