580 upvotes
WMPCOT wrote: I didn't spot the sale in the flyer
Looks like West is Canola Oil, Ontario and East is Vegetable Oil
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1622 posts
905 upvotes
SW Ontario
mmartins25 wrote: Precisely the awesomeness about the Extra virgin olive oil is that you can eat it at room temperature or cook it at pretty high temperatures and still conserve its good properties, whereas with any other oils you basically burn the oil generating bad substances for your body. This is not an opinion, it is science. Olive oil is the best for cooking and to eat raw. Another story is if you don't like the taste as much for desserts, where maybe you can use coconut oil.
Sorry but that's incorrect. Olive oil starts to smoke around 375°, which is your typical baking temperature. Medium heat on a stove top can burn olive oil pretty quick. Even at low temperature you're breaking down all of the good stuff in olive oil anyways. That's why cold pressed olive oil is better for you. Just heating it up to process it breaks all those vitamins and compounds that make it a "super food" (I hate that term but olive oil probably deserves it)

It's just my opinion, but I don't see the point of using olive oil for cooking anymore. At least not on the stove top, I still add it to my baking. You're much better off adding the olive oil after you cook. If not because of what the heat does to the nutrients and vitamins, but because it tastes better. If you have good olive oil and you want to maximize the benefits from it I personally wouldn't cook with it. ymmv
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9049 posts
4884 upvotes
dodher wrote: Canola oil is far better than vegetables oil for health. Vegetables are good but vegetables oil is not.
Always check for the content of monosaturates
There is a lot to know about cooking oils. I used to think vegetable oil was healthy because it had the name "vegetable" in it.

Here is a video of a scientist who has some information that is food for thought.
Aug 19, 2013
979 posts
1028 upvotes
TORONTO
mmartins25 wrote: Poison for your body. Same is Canola oil. Extra virgin Olive oil is the way to go fellas and stop frying everything Face With Tears Of Joy
I do everything with olive oil. Things still taste epic!
May 28, 2009
173 posts
159 upvotes
choclover wrote: There is a lot to know about cooking oils. I used to think vegetable oil was healthy because it had the name "vegetable" in it.

Here is a video of a scientist who has some information that is food for thought.
I want to know what she said after Bill's last rant. Not all carbs are bad, excess calories make you fat, and to suggest that everyone should be on such a strict diet to allow for ketosis is unreasonable.

I've heard good things about frying in peanut oil in a Wok to reduce the oil required, and reusing the oil several times depending on the food, but I don't want to know how much more peanut oil is going to cost.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3773 posts
3528 upvotes
Toronto
AndrewT5406 wrote: Looks like West is Canola Oil, Ontario and East is Vegetable Oil
Not on sale in Ontario. Maybe store specific?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9049 posts
4884 upvotes
saudor wrote: I do everything with olive oil. Things still taste epic!
I have been too but am curious to know what you use for baking or pan frying? I have tried olive oil for both but wasn't sure if there was something recommended instead. Since seeing Dr. Shanahan's presentation, I am now interested to learn more. Apparently, consuming certain oils actually interfere with the immune systems so I want to better understand the metabolic nature of different oils in the diet.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
2144 posts
2623 upvotes
West GTA
dodher wrote: Canola oil is far better than vegetables oil for health. Vegetables are good but vegetables oil is not.
Always check for the content of monosaturates
Canola oil is typically hot extracted and solvent extracted, then it's heavily refined. Oils with a lot of unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats in them don't like periods of heat, light or oxygen exposure and will break down over time. Those breakdown products can be bad for you, with free radicals and other reactive molecules in the mix. Solvent extraction (usually hexane at high heat) can powerfully dissolve any pesticides and herbicides used on the plants into the oils, which isn't really ideal to eat at volume. The refining and deodorization process to make a neutral and sediment-free oil also involves high heat, some chemistry and a lot of air exposure.

Cheap canola oil is often already lightly rancid by the time it gets bottled, and then is stored for often extended periods in clear bottles at room temperature, which can make it go off more. That is one reason why I suspect that the 'vegetable oil is better for you' studies are so contradictory depending on where they're performed - fresh, unrefined and cold pressed vegetable oil, stored properly and used often cold on food (dressings, dips, etc.) is good for you. Rancid vegetable oil is not. Saturated fat is slower to go rancid due to more double carbon bonds, so even if it isn't as good for you 'fresh', it's better than year-old discount refined canola oil you've got propped up next to the stove and use for extended high-heat cooking.

For that reason I own vegetable oil (unrefined and cold pressed), keep it in the fridge, and use it in dressings, dips and other stuff. If It gets old, I toss it and buy a new one - it's still pretty cheap. For cooking I use mostly saturated fats, and if I go unsaturated I try not to leave it on for too long. I try to buy from know sources, since fraud and poor quality is ridiculously common - in one test of 22 avocado oils, three of them were 100% soybean oil (six of them were cut total) and 15 of them were rancid in the bottle.
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11686 posts
5687 upvotes
CyprusTM wrote: The 16L big jugs of canola oil used to be 19-20$ in 2019, now they are 43$. And they'll keep going up unfortunately
Yes we dont buy oil often but at costco we would buy the big jug and it lasts us a long time then we went to buy one a couple months ago and saw the crazy price increase haha.

Ended up buying canola and vegetable 4L from walmart for $6 and still have.Glad we dont use much oil but now with prices we use even less.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Jan 19, 2017
837 posts
1449 upvotes
droopytrash wrote: These prices are ridiculous. This stuff used to be at the end of the aisle for $3.49 everyday. I can't deep fry at these new prices.
Regardless of personal opinion, politics, wealth level or any other opinionated divide, i think this is something we can all agree with and needs to be discussed more.
Jan 12, 2008
457 posts
270 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: Yes we dont buy oil often but at costco we would buy the big jug and it lasts us a long time then we went to buy one a couple months ago and saw the crazy price increase haha.

Ended up buying canola and vegetable 4L from walmart for $6 and still have.Glad we dont use much oil but now with prices we use even less.
What's your solution to safely dispense that 16L jug out?
Deal Guru
Jul 8, 2009
11686 posts
5687 upvotes
Disciplinz wrote: What's your solution to safely dispense that 16L jug out?
We purchased a pump from amazon for like $8 drilled a hole in the lid and then its easy to use. the pump reaches about an inch from the bottom. We then fill our glass oil dispensers in the kitchen and use a smaller 2 liter jug. Ill see if i can find my order in the morning to post a link.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Public Mobile user! Fido User!
EQ BANK!! SIMPLii !! Tangerine!!
Buy first think later!
Nov 26, 2016
453 posts
915 upvotes
5yrs from now there will be a cooking oil price collusion class action lawsuit just as there’s one for bread prices going on now
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2018
1245 posts
985 upvotes
droopytrash wrote: These prices are ridiculous. This stuff used to be at the end of the aisle for $3.49 everyday. I can't deep fry at these new prices.
Welcome to the new world of inflation.

I just bought awhole bunch....

I bought 3 boxes of 2l at $2 dollar each 3 years ago. It lasted me 2 years.

Now I face the music....
NOT A WOMAN. JUST GOT A WEIRD NAME. I AM A MAN. THANKS.
Deal Addict
Jul 8, 2011
1487 posts
1462 upvotes
WESTMOUNT
Completely unrelated to anything in this thread but bears mentioning, sesame oil smells amazing. I loved going to the supermarkets in Seoul when they made fresh fresh sesame oil.
Mar 19, 2012
872 posts
181 upvotes
Are you smelling them or using for cooking? :) Joking. You have to tell us how you managed to use only 5 Liter oil in one year.
sushibucket wrote: This is the best vegetable oil I've used from a grocery store. Seems to be much more pure and even after multiple deep fries it doesn't give off the oxidizing smell and food doesnt get dark. I bought 5 containers of them last time they were on sale and after 2 years I'm on my 3rd
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
3357 posts
3407 upvotes
Montreal, QC
pewlykertor wrote: any canola oil deals for quebecois?
Walmart which has been posted up above. $9.88 for 5L which is not bad. It comes out to just under $6 per 3L (which is what the Unico is).
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plochmans- ... 0202491639

They also have Vegetable oil same brand, same price, same size
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plochmans- ... 0202491925

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)