• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2022 11:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1389 posts
2869 upvotes
Cocoon wrote: Are you smelling them or using for cooking? :) Joking. You have to tell us how you managed to use only 5 Liter oil in one year.
Oh you'll know when you use poor quality oil to deep fry, has a very nasty, chemically plasticky artificial carcinogenic smell in the food (even when you keep it under the smoking point)

I primarily use avocado and grapeseed oil for most cooking, this is for cheap deep frying
Mar 19, 2012
872 posts
181 upvotes
sushibucket wrote: Oh you'll know when you use poor quality oil to deep fry, has a very nasty, chemically plasticky artificial carcinogenic smell in the food (even when you keep it under the smoking point)

I primarily use avocado and grapeseed oil for most cooking, this is for cheap deep frying
I have a question. Does Avocado oil has shelf life? I have a bottle (or two) sitting on the self and the best before date was a year ago but the bottle was never opened. Thanks
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2016
1389 posts
2869 upvotes
Cocoon wrote: I have a question. Does Avocado oil has shelf life? I have a bottle (or two) sitting on the self and the best before date was a year ago but the bottle was never opened. Thanks
Yes, usually doesn't last that much longer after the best before date if just stored at room temperature; if it's been a year past the best before date, by all means open and smell it but it definitely won't taste the best even if it isn't rancid. Fortunately most avocado oils are sold in smaller containers unlike cheaper oils, so you shouldn't be wasting much
Deal Addict
Mar 19, 2011
1620 posts
904 upvotes
SW Ontario
herrdude wrote: Completely unrelated to anything in this thread but bears mentioning, sesame oil smells amazing. I loved going to the supermarkets in Seoul when they made fresh fresh sesame oil.
lol, seems related to me. I use toasted sesame oil the same way I use olive oil, as a dressing or as topping or "flavour enhancer". But you can also get refined sesame oil, which has a high smoke point for frying. And like olive oil there's cold pressed sesame oil which is supposed to be better for you.

I prefer peanut oil for frying though. Mainly because it works well for stir fry and potatoes, which is about all I fry.
Jan 12, 2008
457 posts
270 upvotes
blazed16 wrote: We purchased a pump from amazon for like $8 drilled a hole in the lid and then its easy to use. the pump reaches about an inch from the bottom. We then fill our glass oil dispensers in the kitchen and use a smaller 2 liter jug. Ill see if i can find my order in the morning to post a link.
Send that link over when you get the chance. I was thinking of using a turkey baster
Dec 18, 2006
92 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Why all the downvote? It's not OP's fault the oil price is ridiculous right now.... and this is the new cheap. I see these oil goes up to 11$ each. Take my upvote sir and I'm going to grab a few tmr!
I'm Cheap And I'm [email protected]!
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
5157 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
My friends, I recently discovered the power of the air frier. It uses 5% of oil to deep fry anything. I now make fries in the air frier. I highly recommend it for cost saving, health and for better environment.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
36806 posts
4970 upvotes
Winnipeg
blaznazn22 wrote: My friends, I recently discovered the power of the air frier. It uses 5% of oil to deep fry anything. I now make fries in the air frier. I highly recommend it for cost saving, health and for better environment.
how does that work?
WTB amazon gc @90%
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
5157 posts
1887 upvotes
Scarborough
divx wrote: how does that work?
Well, it's not really a fryer, it's a table top oven. Though it's smaller, and overall cooking time is lower, cleaning is easier. The fries get pretty crispy, just spray some oil and cook.
Oct 2, 2009
571 posts
371 upvotes
divx wrote: how does that work?
Blasts large amounts of hot air directly on the food in a very smol and confined space.

Compared to a normal convection oven its faster and consumes way less energy at the cost of space/versatility. Limited options/accessories can be used in it that are usually specialized for a certain brand/model (correct me if Im wrong about this, I don't really care about air fryers)

For people that don't know how to cook it's pretty good. My parents love theirs. For people who do know how to cook might find it limiting and end results just arent the same as deep fat frying or even pan frying.

If it was my money I rather get a tabletop convection oven.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2006
3620 posts
2220 upvotes
Toronto
herrdude wrote: Also, we cheat a little bit, we mix in 1/2 tablespoon of oil for the taste.
Not a cheat, you're supposed to use a bit of oil
Jun 21, 2021
358 posts
240 upvotes
Real Canadian Superstore has the 2.84 L Mazola corn, canola and vegetable oil for $5.98 will get a couple
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
2576 posts
5749 upvotes
Windsor
I'd rather use peanut oil and an air fryer.
Apr 30, 2020
227 posts
250 upvotes
Vancouver
unless you're deep frying then 3L of cooking oil lasts a pretty long time, if it costs $4 more than it did a few years ago it's still really not a big deal.
3L would probably last me close to a year for me and my wife.
Penalty Box
Nov 5, 2018
52 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
xbournex wrote: it isn't inflation that is causing the rise in canola/vegeoil. Heat wave this summer, record low yield.
What a reason. Can I get the reason for gasoline price increase? May be cold wave somewhere!!
Mar 28, 2010
293 posts
516 upvotes
vancouver
Kanatakool wrote: What a reason. Can I get the reason for gasoline price increase? May be cold wave somewhere!!
ignorance is bliss.
inflation is not a cause for price increases. it's a symptom, not a cause. far too much money chasing far fewer goods causes inflation. this is a supply and demand shift causing prices to rise. Low yield, fewer goods. This isn't ultra refined super premium oil that demands a higher price.

at 1.7/l, You can look to refinery slowdown in Burnaby, recent pipeline closures due to flooding, lack of investment in OG, not just in Canada but globally, and an increase in taxes Jan1. Across the board, global stockpiles are down and excess production capacity is limited. We from negative $ per barrel in 2020, or an average of $45 to now $80.

Arctic outflows actually disrupt production of OG.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1167 posts
288 upvotes
mewko1502 wrote:
If it was my money I rather get a tabletop convection oven.
My air fryer has virtually replaced my tabletop convection oven for cooking from raw. I only use the oven for reheating or for saucy food that doesn't fit in the air fryer.

I find that because the air fryer is able to cook food hotter and quicker, the food is much more moist compared to a normal oven. I can cook thick, untenderized pork chops and still have them come out moist. For chicken drumsticks, the air fryer renders fat out of the skin so that it is crispy, yet the meat is moist. An air fryer is also great for cooking a crackling crispy pork belly with moist meat and crunchy skin. The slowness of a traditional convection oven tends to dry out food.

It is simplistic to call an air fryer a glorified convection oven because the concentrated heat that it produces makes it a completely different animal when it comes to cooking meat. It's like calling a car's turbocharger a glorified hair dryer. The difference in operational attributes makes the comparison pointless.