• Jan 23rd, 2022 11:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1269 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
OB2BO wrote: ...unless Unico is considered superior, as an alternative slightly better deal, Walmart has the 5L Plochman's Vegetable or Canola oil currently on sale for $9.88

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plochmans- ... 0202491925

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/plochmans- ... 0202491639
Yep, I just stocked up on canola today. Not as cheap as it used to be when 2.84L would occasionally go on sale for $4.99 or even $3.99 a couple of years ago, but it's the best price I've seen in a while.
Flemeth wrote: Real Canadian Superstore has the 2.84 L Mazola corn, canola and vegetable oil for $5.98 will get a couple
I checked 4 different RCSS locations and couldn't find a single jug of Mazola corn oil.
Penalty Box
Nov 5, 2018
52 posts
101 upvotes
Toronto
illest-One wrote: Why all the downvote? It's not OP's fault the oil price is ridiculous right now.... and this is the new cheap. I see these oil goes up to 11$ each. Take my upvote sir and I'm going to grab a few tmr!
It is Turdy Gov fault but I see lot of supporters of this gov here. The best way to end poverty is to end poor. This Gov is doing good...All good..nothing to worry about.
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
3428 posts
2153 upvotes
B.C.
OB2BO wrote: ...unless Unico is considered superior, as an alternative slightly better deal, Walmart has the 5L Plochman's Vegetable or Canola oil currently on sale for $9.88

We bought a bunch of Plochman's Canola in September when it was on for $8.87. We used a discount voucher for a $75 minimum order and found enough additional stuff to make it worth our while. Under the circumstances, that $9.88 now isn't bad, particularly if you could use a discount voucher.

We used to buy the 16L No-Name canola oil from the Superstore. This time last year, that 16L cost $19.99 plus we had points. Suddenly we blinked and it went up to $30+. We blinked again and it went to $40+. Seeing staples like this -- because oil's one of many things -- get so pricey so quickly just makes me wonder if supermarkets are ever going to put the brakes on their greed.
If I had more time, I would have written a shorter post
Oct 2, 2009
571 posts
371 upvotes
jh1 wrote: My air fryer has virtually replaced my tabletop convection oven for cooking from raw. I only use the oven for reheating or for saucy food that doesn't fit in the air fryer.

I find that because the air fryer is able to cook food hotter and quicker, the food is much more moist compared to a normal oven. I can cook thick, untenderized pork chops and still have them come out moist. For chicken drumsticks, the air fryer renders fat out of the skin so that it is crispy, yet the meat is moist. An air fryer is also great for cooking a crackling crispy pork belly with moist meat and crunchy skin. The slowness of a traditional convection oven tends to dry out food.

It is simplistic to call an air fryer a glorified convection oven because the concentrated heat that it produces makes it a completely different animal when it comes to cooking meat. It's like calling a car's turbocharger a glorified hair dryer. The difference in operational attributes makes the comparison pointless.
I see you did not read my full post.

I actually listed the same pros as you did.

If you are drying your food in a convection oven you are simply using it wrong. Restaurants all over the world and even lots of home cooks are able to cook juicy pork chops or crispy and juicy chix legs without air fryers. Chinese people have been making crispy pork belly before ovens even exists. The difference is in skill level required.

You really should read one's whole post instead of just cherry pick a quote that suits your narrative.

Edit: Wording
Jun 21, 2021
358 posts
240 upvotes
blueangel2323 wrote: Yep, I just stocked up on canola today. Not as cheap as it used to be when 2.84L would occasionally go on sale for $4.99 or even $3.99 a couple of years ago, but it's the best price I've seen in a while.

I checked 4 different RCSS locations and couldn't find a single jug of Mazola corn oil.

You could have asked for a rain check.
Sep 8, 2010
481 posts
1210 upvotes
Windsor
mewko1502 wrote: If you are vegetarian/vegan then not much I can help.

If you eat meat save and hoard the fat.

If you eat lots of chicken then buying whole chicken and butchering it yourself is worth it. Save the spine/bones/other inedible parts for chix stock. Skim and save the chix fat for cooking. If you are super frugal like me pick the bones clear of meat after making stock. Not much flavour left but throw it into your curry or what not to bulk it up.

Searing beef/pork for w.e? Dont use oil. Sear the fatty bits first. Plenty of oil, usually.

Bonus: Save all veg trimmings like onion end and skins and even carrot skins (make sure they are clean or wash). Keep them in an airtight container in the freezer and once you accumulate enough either throw it in your chix stock or make a vege stock just with the trimmings.
Yep we are definitely in a recession.
Dec 27, 2007
854 posts
599 upvotes
loletifie wrote: I agree that olive oil is the way to go but not in dessert (cookies, cake...). I used to buy grapeseed oil at Costco but Costco stopped selling it and grocery store oil is expensive! I wonder what is the healthiest and tastiest oil for dessert.
I used to buy grape seed oil from Costco all the time, it was around $15/5L, but now I can only afford getting canola oil for the same price, didn't even bother looking at canola oil back then:(
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1167 posts
288 upvotes
mewko1502 wrote: I see you did not read my full post.

I actually listed the same pros as you did.

If you are drying your food in a convection oven you are simply using it wrong. Restaurants all over the world and even lots of home cooks are able to cook juicy pork chops or crispy and juicy chix legs without air fryers. Chinese people have been making crispy pork belly before ovens even exists. The difference is in skill level required.

You really should read one's whole post instead of just cherry pick a quote that suits your narrative.

Edit: Wording
I did read your full post and wasn't cherry picking but rather commenting on why my air fryer was superior in performance to my convection oven. It isn't rocket science to use an oven. My experience with using full sized high end convection ovens as well as tabletop models has shown that my air fryer produces superior results due to the concentrate heat and air flow. It isn't an issue of skill.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 1, 2001
6028 posts
873 upvotes
What’s the healthiest type of oil if the main usage is pan frying?
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16181 posts
3992 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
mmartins25 wrote: Precisely the awesomeness about the Extra virgin olive oil is that you can eat it at room temperature or cook it at pretty high temperatures and still conserve its good properties, whereas with any other oils you basically burn the oil generating bad substances for your body. This is not an opinion, it is science. Olive oil is the best for cooking and to eat raw. Another story is if you don't like the taste as much for desserts, where maybe you can use coconut oil.
Smoking point of olive oil is too low for frying etc
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
16181 posts
3992 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Arrow wrote: What’s the healthiest type of oil if the main usage is pan frying?
Avacado, personally I use ghee
Deal Guru
Jan 6, 2005
12100 posts
3423 upvotes

picked up a jug of veggie oil last week to deep fry some pickerel. Went back to get another to have on hand, and the shelves were nearly picked clean. Tasted and smelled as good as any of the other brand name oils we've used.
The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD.

The second rule of RFD is, you DO NOT talk about RFD.
Oct 2, 2009
571 posts
371 upvotes
jh1 wrote: I did read your full post and wasn't cherry picking but rather commenting on why my air fryer was superior in performance to my convection oven. It isn't rocket science to use an oven. My experience with using full sized high end convection ovens as well as tabletop models has shown that my air fryer produces superior results due to the concentrate heat and air flow. It isn't an issue of skill.
Ok...so because you cant cook something properly in an oven = all ovens are inferior?

Sure it ain't rocket science to use an oven but knowledge and skill is required. Again, people all over the world are able to produce juicy meat in ovens. Assuming your oven isn't broken or really really bad/old the main difference would be the user and their knowledge and skill level.

Air fryers lowers the required knowledge and skill required to produce the same results as an oven. I also find it funny how we are comparing air FRYERS to ovens when air fryers should really be compared to fryers. Only reason people compare air fryers with convection ovens in the first place is because they work the same way, fan blows heated air on food and cooks it . Main difference is in flow rate and capacity.
Oct 2, 2009
571 posts
371 upvotes
StudYork wrote: Yep we are definitely in a recession.
Lul

I mean most restaurants always saves fat from stock, its free flavour/oil.

As to picking the bones it depends on how good a job the person butchering did and whether its worth paying someone to pick the meat. Current place I work at always picks the meat as to not waste any food. We only use it to bulk staff meals. Its really more like extra protein vs supplementing protein.

Saving veg trimmings for veg stock is also just free flavour. Why add bland water to a vegetarian/vegan dish when there is veg stock?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1269 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
Flemeth wrote: You could have asked for a rain check.
It never even occurred to me. I don't think I've asked for a raincheck from anywhere since I was a teenager (I'm now in my mid-30s).
Jun 21, 2021
358 posts
240 upvotes
@blueangel2323 not all stores are issuing rain check because of COVID but I am 100% positive that RCSS, FreshCo and SDM are giving them out and it’s always a good thing to get one if there is no stock
Sep 8, 2010
481 posts
1210 upvotes
Windsor
mewko1502 wrote: Lul

I mean most restaurants always saves fat from stock, its free flavour/oil.

As to picking the bones it depends on how good a job the person butchering did and whether its worth paying someone to pick the meat. Current place I work at always picks the meat as to not waste any food. We only use it to bulk staff meals. Its really more like extra protein vs supplementing protein.

Saving veg trimmings for veg stock is also just free flavour. Why add bland water to a vegetarian/vegan dish when there is veg stock?
I use stock.... all the time. But I can afford $1.50 per litre to buy veg/chicken/beef stock and not bother to wash and store onion skins. Of course making your own stocks tastes way better, but anything home made is better than store bought. Also the fat argument. Of course animal fats have their place in cuisine (ie. duck fat), but are you gonna deep fry chicken wings in litres of captured animals fats? (Barf)

I think you missed the point that I made.. I'll make it clear. The lengths people are going to are proof that prices of groceries are WAY too high right now and penny pinching everywhere is evident that people are having issues affording basic necessities. You know... like a recession...
Oct 2, 2009
571 posts
371 upvotes
StudYork wrote: I use stock.... all the time. But I can afford $1.50 per litre to buy veg/chicken/beef stock and not bother to wash and store onion skins. Of course making your own stocks tastes way better, but anything home made is better than store bought. Also the fat argument. Of course animal fats have their place in cuisine (ie. duck fat), but are you gonna deep fry chicken wings in litres of captured animals fats? (Barf)

I think you missed the point that I made.. I'll make it clear. The lengths people are going to are proof that prices of groceries are WAY too high right now and penny pinching everywhere is evident that people are having issues affording basic necessities. You know... like a recession...
Nono I agree with you. I might have used "lul" wrong...

My intentions were to just point out that recession or not restaurants do it for flavour and not waste food.

In the same vein I believe these are simple things that we should all do instead of buying chicken stock only to throw out ingredients that can make it. To add on its better for the environment.

Anyways...whats wrong with using chicken fat/"captured animal fat" (not sure what that means) thats been filtered and stored correctly? I don't understand how duck fat is ok but schmaltz is "barf".

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)