• Jan 23rd, 2022 11:13 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9784 posts
2847 upvotes
Vancouver
xbournex wrote: it isn't inflation that is causing the rise in canola/vegeoil. Heat wave this summer, record low yield.
Yes was all over the news with the heat waves in western and central Canada
divx wrote: is there an oil shortage I don't know about? these prices are messed up.
Disappointed a proud winnipeger wouldn’t know about what’s going on their back yard

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cana ... SKBN2A00EL

There was even some post from some restaurant owner how he’s stocking up on it. It was a discussion. About rising prices of chicken wings at bars
mmartins25 wrote: Precisely the awesomeness about the Extra virgin olive oil is that you can eat it at room temperature or cook it at pretty high temperatures and still conserve its good properties, whereas with any other oils you basically burn the oil generating bad substances for your body. This is not an opinion, it is science. Olive oil is the best for cooking and to eat raw. Another story is if you don't like the taste as much for desserts, where maybe you can use coconut oil.
You don’t deep fry do you? You absolutely cannot and should not deep fry with evoo the smoke point is 375. You could have a grease fire on your hands

I don’t deep fry often because it is expensive and messy. However fresh deep fried breaded cheese I’ll whip up for guests. Way better than any garbage bar mozza sticks. Can do multiple types of cheese. Since it’s a treat may use peanut oil despite high cost.

Anyone want to group buy some gutter oil :p

Anyone comparing air fryer to deep fryer should be reported to mods and post removed. It’s not almost similar at all. It’s too different techniques and air fryers suck imo. If you enjoy them great. However it’s simply not deep frying.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1167 posts
288 upvotes
mewko1502 wrote: Ok...so because you cant cook something properly in an oven = all ovens are inferior?

Sure it ain't rocket science to use an oven but knowledge and skill is required. Again, people all over the world are able to produce juicy meat in ovens. Assuming your oven isn't broken or really really bad/old the main difference would be the user and their knowledge and skill level.

Air fryers lowers the required knowledge and skill required to produce the same results as an oven. I also find it funny how we are comparing air FRYERS to ovens when air fryers should really be compared to fryers. Only reason people compare air fryers with convection ovens in the first place is because they work the same way, fan blows heated air on food and cooks it . Main difference is in flow rate and capacity.
The problem is that you have been mislead into thinking an air fryer is somehow a replacement for or equivalent to a deep fryer because of a name that someone in marketing decided to use to sell what are essentially compact powerful convection ovens.

The notion of critical mass comes into play where some results can only be achieved when there is sustained high volume of heat and airflow. If you can get food up to the safe cooked temperature quicker, it has that much less time for moisture to escape. This isn't a matter of skill, just science.
Oct 2, 2009
571 posts
371 upvotes
jh1 wrote: The problem is that you have been mislead into thinking an air fryer is somehow a replacement for or equivalent to a deep fryer because of a name that someone in marketing decided to use to sell what are essentially compact powerful convection ovens.

The notion of critical mass comes into play where some results can only be achieved when there is sustained high volume of heat and airflow. If you can get food up to the safe cooked temperature quicker, it has that much less time for moisture to escape. This isn't a matter of skill, just science.
No. I have not been mislead. I knew the first time I heard about air fryers it was just marketing BS. That being said shouldn't we all be mad about it? Also since they labelled it as a "fryer" it is only fair we compare it to a fryer.

Here's the thing though. Lets say you are cooking steak to med rare which is around 135f or 54c. At that temp moisture lost from heat is minimal. What you really want is slow even heat to bring the internal to temp instead of blasting the outer surface which results in a higher amount of well done meat. Higher % of well done meat = more moisture lost.

Ever heard of reverse searing? Slow gentle heat to bring up the temp then you sear it quick on a blazing hot pan. Maximizing the % of med rare meat.

Also you still have not addressed how other people are able to produce juicy meats in traditional ovens but apparently you cant. Logically speaking the difference is the user and the difference in level of skill/knowledge.

There is a reason why the restaurant industry are not cramming their kitchens full of air fryers.

You can say all you want. Fact is other people can do it but you cant. Let that sink in.
Last time I'm replying to you. Have a great day/night!
Jul 8, 2018
123 posts
90 upvotes
Toronto
choclover wrote: There is a lot to know about cooking oils. I used to think vegetable oil was healthy because it had the name "vegetable" in it.

Here is a video of a scientist who has some information that is food for thought.
I wish Bill Maher would stop talking over the doctor and let her speak. I want to hear what she was going to say.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1167 posts
288 upvotes
mewko1502 wrote: Here's the thing though. Lets say you are cooking steak to med rare which is around 135f or 54c. At that temp moisture lost from heat is minimal. What you really want is slow even heat to bring the internal to temp instead of blasting the outer surface which results in a higher amount of well done meat. Higher % of well done meat = more moisture lost.
A skilled craftsman understands which is the correct tool to use for the job. No where did I mention using an air fryer for cooking steak so your example is completely irrelevant to the discussion. It is asinine to use a high temperature cooking device when the use case requires low temperature.

It also appears that you are deliberately trying to misread my statement about moister results. The key is relative moisture. NOT that conventional oven produces dry pork/chicken (notice I did not mention steak) and that only the air fryer produces moist pork/chicken but rather in that the difference in cooking time to reach the same temperature results in a difference of relative moistness level. Your extreme offense against air fryer seems to indicate that you are not speaking from first hand experience but rather from a biased perspective based on theory rather than practical use.