• Last Updated:
  • Nov 7th, 2020 10:37 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3959 posts
1155 upvotes

No Hot Water in the House

This morning my water softener overflowed and I took it apart to try to repair it. I put the softener in bypass mode then put it back in the regular mode. The issue I have no is that there's no hot water going to anywhere in the house. I checked my water heater and the there's power going in there, I was able to turn up the temperature and the the fan turned on.

When I felt the hot pipe, it was hot. The basement shower now keeps on dripping and the when I turn the hot water on the faucets on the other floors, nothing happens, it's as if I'm bleeding the tap. Does anyone have any suggestions? Anyone know a good plumber in Markham?

There was hot water this afternoon, my wife just noticed that there was nothing tonight.

Thanks in advance.
5 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
4216 posts
1467 upvotes
WFH
Do you mean there's no water coming out the hot faucets or is the water cold?

If the former, you may have flooded your hot water plumbing with resin beads when you tampered with the softener.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3959 posts
1155 upvotes
Thanks, yes it is the former. When I turn it to hot, nothing comes out, some cold water comes out then goes to nothing. Any idea how to clear out the resin beads?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2017
5374 posts
2373 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
How big are the beads?

You could try each fixture in turn, testing to see if it flows (back flush if necessary), by taking out valves, disconnecting intakes and outlets, shower heads, etc.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3959 posts
1155 upvotes
I have no idea how big the beads are, not even sure what they are. I'm trying to google this......what a waste of a Saturday.........
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2005
3959 posts
1155 upvotes
The issue is now resolved, I had someone come to look at it. The issue was there was a check valve that was stuck in the cold water pipe. This prevented the cold water from going in and he said the tank has to have cold water coming in to replenish the hot water going out. If there are any clogs then it won’t work.

He had to cut the pipe in order to remove it. He checked both sides and only the cold water pipe had it.

Edit: Just to add, I have a 50 gallon rheem tank that I bought out from direct energy or enercare. I think he said that check valve piece is added by one of those companies. If you buy a tank from one of the big box stores, it doesn’t come with that piece. This was a one time fix and I should not have this problem again.

Hope this helps someone in the future if they ever have issues with their hot water tank.