Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

no longer available

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2017 1:41 pm
Nov 27, 2004
992 posts
245 upvotes

no longer available

no longer available
Last edited by liquid_paper on Nov 13th, 2018 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
FYI, since being taken over their shipping options have changed. My buddy just had an order from them, he was charged a processing fee by the carrier as well as the taxes on top. I think during your checkout process you would have been charged the carrier handling fee. Then the processing fee by CBSA and taxes if any were assessed.

It is hit or miss with the taxes but the past few times I've ordered, I've had to pay. No biggie as I was still saving quite a bit.

As with the bag, have you contacted Deuter? They will either fix it or send you a new bag.
Nov 27, 2004
992 posts
245 upvotes
rancid82 wrote: It is hit or miss with the taxes but the past few times I've ordered, I've had to pay. No biggie as I was still saving quite a bit.

As with the bag, have you contacted Deuter? They will either fix it or send you a new bag.
i noticed if you select the free tracked shipping option, then there is a few it talks about. but the free untracked option did not mention a fee.

I may just send Deuter an email, but it looks like general wear and tear since its at the base of my bag where the air vent protrudes. might try sending an email anyways. no harm in doing so, thanks for the tip!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
Good deal for Osprey quality/warranty.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 18, 2013
5659 posts
9734 upvotes
BC
liquid_paper wrote: i noticed if you select the free tracked shipping option, then there is a few it talks about. but the free untracked option did not mention a fee.

I may just send Deuter an email, but it looks like general wear and tear since its at the base of my bag where the air vent protrudes. might try sending an email anyways. no harm in doing so, thanks for the tip!
Try taking it back to MEC. Their warranty/guarantee is quite solid and they may replace your bag or give you credit
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
liquid_paper wrote: i noticed if you select the free tracked shipping option, then there is a few it talks about. but the free untracked option did not mention a fee.

they are a bit sneaky cause I did not notice it at first till i looked closely. In the description of the free shipping option is this:

"All orders over $20 will incur Canadian import duty + a handling charge from our courier"

They don't specify how much the handling charge is. You will pay it at the door when you receive the item. Regardless, the bag is still a good deal even if you got hit with the charges and taxes.

As for the bag warranty, if Deuter won't do anything for you, MEC guarantees the stuff they sell for life so they maybe able to direct you to a repair spot. I have found the staff there to be quite helpful. If the gear you got from them didn't work out, they will generally take it back.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
rancid82 wrote: they are a bit sneaky cause I did not notice it at first till i looked closely. In the description of the free shipping option is this:

"All orders over $20 will incur Canadian import duty + a handling charge from our courier"

They don't specify how much the handling charge is. You will pay it at the door when you receive the item. Regardless, the bag is still a good deal even if you got hit with the charges and taxes.

As for the bag warranty, if Deuter won't do anything for you, MEC guarantees the stuff they sell for life so they maybe able to direct you to a repair spot. I have found the staff there to be quite helpful. If the gear you got from them didn't work out, they will generally take it back.
Don't be too optimistic about the MEC warranty these days. I tried to get something repaired or replaced recently (bag with broken zipper) and no such warranty.

They wouldn't repair for free or replace. Would repair if I paid. Finally they just gave me a courtesy partial refund on the original price if I gave them the old bag. Since their prices have gone up quite a bit the refund would only cover about 1/3 of the cost of the same new item.

I think they Osprey or Arc'teryx warranties might be better. Maybe Patagonia too.
Jul 29, 2011
221 posts
297 upvotes
Vancouver
Chain Reaction's most basic Free shipping option uses Royal Mail that I've used multiple times, without any GST / PST / courier fees. I even received $400 wheels without fees. Of course ymmv.
Jul 21, 2016
23 posts
3 upvotes
I had a Talon 22 on order. Will cancel in favour of this - cheaper than the Kids' Osprey backpacks I picked up at Sail today!
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
Inno wrote: Don't be too optimistic about the MEC warranty these days. I tried to get something repaired or replaced recently (bag with broken zipper) and no such warranty.

They wouldn't repair for free or replace. Would repair if I paid. Finally they just gave me a courtesy partial refund on the original price if I gave them the old bag. Since their prices have gone up quite a bit the refund would only cover about 1/3 of the cost of the same new item.

I think they Osprey or Arc'teryx warranties might be better. Maybe Patagonia too.
That would depend on the circumstance. How long did you have the product for? They also have a wear and tear policy they spell out so if it fell under that, then likely you would pay for the repairs. I remember many years ago when I had a High Sierra backpack. That thing was bombproof for the most part but the zippers kept malfunctioning. However, the repairs were made for free as they had a lifetime warranty. I bought it at one of those luggage shops in the mall and they took care of the warranty process. MEC has their own process but for the most part, many retailers will try to help out in some ways but it is always through the manufacturer. Was it an MEC branded product you had?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
rancid82 wrote: That would depend on the circumstance. How long did you have the product for? They also have a wear and tear policy they spell out so if it fell under that, then likely you would pay for the repairs. I remember many years ago when I had a High Sierra backpack. That thing was bombproof for the most part but the zippers kept malfunctioning. However, the repairs were made for free as they had a lifetime warranty. I bought it at one of those luggage shops in the mall and they took care of the warranty process. MEC has their own process but for the most part, many retailers will try to help out in some ways but it is always through the manufacturer. Was it an MEC branded product you had?
MEC branded, ten years. Not sure what they consider "lifetime", but less than ten years for sure.
Deal Addict
Feb 26, 2008
1274 posts
1454 upvotes
Surrey
Inno wrote: MEC branded, ten years. Not sure what they consider "lifetime", but less than ten years for sure.
Yeah, I can see why. After around 10 years, I would say the zipper portion is part of the usual wear and tear. However, if a seam busted during that time, I think MEC would still honor the lifetime warranty. Manufacturers will usually set out the terms of the lifetime warranty. If you really liked the bag (i know you've been given a refund), the best thing to do is to find a reputable repair shop and get the best zipper and assembly sewn in. I did that for one of my backpacks. Couldn't let it go even though it cost a bit to do it!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 5, 2006
7774 posts
1646 upvotes
Toronto
rancid82 wrote: Yeah, I can see why. After around 10 years, I would say the zipper portion is part of the usual wear and tear. However, if a seam busted during that time, I think MEC would still honor the lifetime warranty. Manufacturers will usually set out the terms of the lifetime warranty. If you really liked the bag (i know you've been given a refund), the best thing to do is to find a reputable repair shop and get the best zipper and assembly sewn in. I did that for one of my backpacks. Couldn't let it go even though it cost a bit to do it!
I had to give the bag back to get the $13 refund.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
They shipped my bag using DHL and I am about to get dinged $40 in duties. I can't recommend this company, its YMMV on the duties. Not sure what I should do now... just pay it?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
philelmo wrote: They shipped my bag using DHL and I am about to get dinged $40 in duties. I can't recommend this company, its YMMV on the duties. Not sure what I should do now... just pay it?
What shipping option did you select? Just the standard free option?
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2004
3194 posts
493 upvotes
Ya just standard free shipping
If I knew they were gonna use DHL I would've prepaid the duties, much cheaper
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2008
1315 posts
684 upvotes
For those looking for bags, Timbuk2 is currently having a sale, ending on Tuesday! http://www.timbuk2.com/
I just picked up the "Robin" backpack and it's pretty amazing. Magnet claps etc. Very well designed.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2010
1056 posts
370 upvotes
liquid_paper wrote: ***update*** my bag arrived today, so literally 5 days, free shipping and was not dinged any duties or tariffs. these guys are great!
Who did they use to ship your bags?
Nov 27, 2004
992 posts
245 upvotes
Priestlydoolong wrote: Who did they use to ship your bags?
they used royal mail. i selected just the free shipping option. there was a tracking and one without tracking under free options. i selected the one with no tracking. if you selected with tracking maybe they use dhl?