• Dec 6th, 2020 12:13 pm
Tags:
66 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2471 posts
3660 upvotes
Quebec
Weston — the scion of the third-richest family in Canada, worth roughly $13 billion at last count — said in the letter that he is "a strong believer in a progressive minimum wage and would support any government-led effort to establish a living wage."
...lol
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Why do they deserve a bonus anymore? It was only for the chaos during the last couple of months.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
I think amazon stopped it too
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
jackrabbit000 wrote: As per a lot of people, they think the pandemic is over and it's back to normal.
The stores shelves for I'd say 90% of the items are stocked and are not nearly as crazy as they were before.

The pandemic is not over but there's something many are forgetting

Loblaws if I'm not mistaken was the first employer to even give a temporary wage increase. They didn't have to do it at all. They did it because of just how much their employees were working and the danger and all that.

Soon after that's when other retailers started doing the same.

It's completely their choice to take it away and keep in mind they've extended the end date a couple times already.

Also don't forget the longer higher wages go on the more and more expensive our grocery items are going to get.

I don't know, I'm not saying specifically that it should be taken away but I'm also not saying it should stay... It's a weird situation.

Just wanted to add, keep in mind these workers were never considered essential until the pandemic came.
Last edited by XtremeModder on Jun 12th, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
May 20, 2020
464 posts
310 upvotes
City of Toronto
smartie wrote: I think amazon stopped it too
Yes, ended May 30th

from https://www.thestar.com/business/2020/0 ... r-may.html
Company spokesperson Kelly Cheeseman confirmed Saturday the online retail giant will stop paying employees the extra $2 per hour and double overtime incentives they had been receiving since the COVID-19 pandemic began.

Amazon’s pay incentives were initially supposed to end at the end of April but the company extended the program in the U.S. and Canada through May 30.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
jackrabbit000 wrote: It's great that these people at least got something out of it for working through the pandemic. Nice gesture from these employers to do so, they didn't have to but it doesn't last forever. Our family worked through it as front line and essential and none of us got anything special. So they should'nt complain when it's taken away.
Didn't front line get a lot "offers" As appreciation during pandemic time?

Don't get me wrong, I highly appreciate front line and essential workers, without you, we cannot be here.

Just say I don't think front line get nothing
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
They've got them here. As long as the public doesn't go into an uproar and starts boycotting whoever did this first, then it's a great move on the balance books.

Besides, all of you love using self-checkouts (according to my stop using self checkouts thread) so why do you even care what bonus they are or are not getting?

If you don't like it, get another job, we will find someone else. That's the mentality. And guess what? If there was a job fair 200 people would show up for that job.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Wash your car at Petro-Canada? Think again! Car damaged and nobody cares
Esso Price Privileges Card, 25% Off - save some money on gas
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12575 upvotes
Markham
DaVibe wrote: They've got them here. As long as the public doesn't go into an uproar and starts boycotting whoever did this first, then it's a great move on the balance books.

Besides, all of you love using self-checkouts (according to my stop using self checkouts thread) so why do you even care what bonus they are or are not getting?

If you don't like it, get another job, we will find someone else. That's the mentality. And guess what? If there was a job fair 200 people would show up for that job.
Even with self checkout, you still need people load inventory, clean the store and alot other things to make store function, right?

Not mention people care each other is the foundation of a good society
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote: The stores shelves for I'd say 90% of the items are stocked and are not nearly as crazy as they were before.

Loblaws if I'm not mistaken was the first employer to even give a temporary wage increase. They didn't have to do it at all. They did it because of just how much their employees were working and the danger and all that.

It's completely their choice to take it away and keep in mind they've extended the end date a couple times already.

Also don't forget the longer higher wages go on the more and more expensive our grocery items are going to get.

I don't know, I'm not saying specifically that it should be taken away but I'm also not saying it should stay... It's a weird situation.

Just wanted to add, keep in mind these workers were never considered essential until the pandemic came.
Lets be honest, stores didn't do it out of the good of their heart. They did it to motivate their workers to come in, so they could make profits. Also to avoid backlash from customers and a little good PR.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
12807 posts
3837 upvotes
--
engineered wrote: Lets be honest, stores didn't do it out of the good of their heart. They did it to motivate their workers to come in, so they could make profits. Also to avoid backlash from customers and a little good PR.
I'm not sure they would have received much backlash at all if no businesses gave a raise. Like I said, it was their choice to do it. Employees didn't demand it, it was just given.

$2/hr is not enough to keep people coming in for work to begin with.

People need to relax about this, there are far greater problems in the world to worry about other than money right now.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
XtremeModder wrote: I'm not sure they would have received much backlash at all if no businesses gave a raise. Like I said, it was their choice to do it. Employees didn't demand it, it was just given.

$2/hr is not enough to keep people coming in for work to begin with.

People need to relax about this, there are far greater problems in the world to worry about other than money right now.
And it's their company, they can do whatever the heck they want. Don't like what your employer is paying you? QUIT
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
7156 posts
7138 upvotes
DaVibe wrote: And it's their company, they can do whatever the heck they want. Don't like what your employer is paying you? QUIT
Not a very business-savvy or compassionate way to look at things. Stores would be pretty screwed if their staff decided to quit- many opted not to work. Some of the ones who did continue to come in were spat on and verbally abused.
Last edited by hierophant on Jun 13th, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
26683 posts
15290 upvotes
Toronto
hierophant wrote: Not a very business-savvy or compassionate way to look at things. Stores would be pretty screwed if their staff decided not to quit- many opted not to work. Some of the ones who did continue to come in were spat on and verbally abused.
Fair enough, but I think they are beginning to roll out new phases of this pandemic and some "normalcy" within the grocery store. More hours, more staff. Again, it was a nice gesture but now it's over.
If anything, I think it's SAFER to work as a cashier in one of these stores than it has been from ever before. Think about it.

You are on the front line, you may wear a mask if you choose to. If you are a cashier, you have glass in front of you and in behind you. Customers are asked to wear masks.
If you are on the floor stocking, customers can walk up to you - yes - but that's not unique to grocery stores. This is all retail.
RedFlagDeals Addict
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2013
2916 posts
4473 upvotes
West
The $2 pay was a nice gesture, despite it likely being a PR move. People are moaning about free money they got, what else is new? It was never here to stay. Geez, things will never be good enough for people - damned if you do, damned if you don't.
MP3_SKY wrote: And so? What is your point?
The point is that any businessman who makes it big is for some reason expected to turn into a non-profit organization/charity, and are simply not allowed to reap any rewards for their efforts/endeavors. Just like how it's bloody murder for the banks to run their businesses. The other way to analyze this is via the poster's username.......... perhaps that will be easier to understand.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
4962 posts
6862 upvotes
GTA
XtremeModder wrote: The stores shelves for I'd say 90% of the items are stocked and are not nearly as crazy as they were before.

Union response :

"The pandemic is not over. The danger has not passed. These workers are no less at risk and are no less essential today than they were yesterday. There is no justification for ending pandemic pay now, or ever," Unifor National President Jerry Dias said.

"Retail workers have always been essential, and they have always deserved much better. The fact is, the pandemic did not make these workers essential and did not create the inequities in retail, it simply exposed them."

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/l ... 68231.html
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
2684 posts
3199 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote: As per a lot of people, they think the pandemic is over and it's back to normal.
its back to normal in BC. a lot of stuff is reopened.
Deal Expert
Aug 6, 2001
17811 posts
5762 upvotes
Stuck in a Box
Phonophoresis wrote: The $2 pay was a nice gesture, despite it likely being a PR move. People are moaning about free money they got, what else is new? It was never here to stay. Geez, things will never be good enough for people - damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The pandemic had opened us upto the realities of the society -- the most essential roles were / are were under paid, high-at-risk community members. The incentive was to encourage more particpation, along with acknowleding the risk. There are theories out there indicating that we were supposed to evolve as a society, a society that would be less capitalistic, more focused on human and social benefit, vs. individualistic capital gains.

None the less, Galen profited from this more so than others. So he's richer, while majority of the folks will be coming out of CERB pretty soon and will have no where to land.. lets see how that pans out.

The point is that any businessman who makes it big is for some reason expected to turn into a non-profit organization/charity, and are simply not allowed to reap any rewards for their efforts/endeavors. Just like how it's bloody murder for the banks to run their businesses. The other way to analyze this is via the poster's username.......... perhaps that will be easier to understand.