• Last Updated:
  • Nov 13th, 2020 3:08 pm
41 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5330 posts
3798 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Too bad the memory capped at 16GB right now. Probably not a big issue for the consumer line. Need to see when they upgrade the 15” and decide if I wanna upgrade mine.

EDIT: Looking at the prices now, it's actually cheaper than the Intel version. Base 13" MacBook Pro starts at $1699 CAD vs $2399 for the Intel. $700 difference lol.
Last edited by bomber17 on Nov 10th, 2020 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2017
1138 posts
817 upvotes
bomber17 wrote: Too bad the memory capped at 16GB right now. Probably not a big issue for the consumer line. Need to see when they upgrade the 15” and decide if I wanna upgrade mine.

EDIT: Looking at the prices now, it's actually cheaper than the Intel version. Base 13" MacBook Pro starts at $1699 CAD vs $2399 for the Intel. $700 difference lol.
Be interested in how the Mac Mini performs in games, it looks even smaller than it was and the performance claims are high of 6X faster graphics.
Nov 29, 2011
968 posts
343 upvotes
Milton
DecayHeat wrote: Highly dependent on software. I hope the full adobe creative suite is compatible eventually.
Yeah I was burned by that the last time Apple switched. I had a PowerPC-run PowerBook just before they switched to Intel. I couldn't update past OSX 10.5, which made the thing obsolete much sooner than it otherwise would've been.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19558 posts
5635 upvotes
Toronto
bomber17 wrote: Too bad the memory capped at 16GB right now. Probably not a big issue for the consumer line. Need to see when they upgrade the 15” and decide if I wanna upgrade mine.

The M1 Macs replace the low end Intel Macs. The higher end Intel Macs in the same lines don't have replacements yet. For example, you can spec up to 64 GB RAM in the Intel Mac mini, and 32 GB RAM in the Intel 13" MacBook Pro. The higher end replacements (likely 8+4 core CPU) will come in 2021.

It kind of makes sense to do it this way.
1) It's probably based off A14X.
2) A14X probably has a maximum of 16 GB addressable memory, using LP-DDR4.
3) Low end Mac users don't need so much RAM. 16 GB is plenty for most. In fact, 8 GB is fine for many.
4) Low end Mac users are less likely to be dependent on software that is locked to Intel.
Last edited by EugW on Nov 10th, 2020 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2005
4835 posts
777 upvotes
Burlington
MacBook Air looks perfect for what I need and my current 10 year old MacBook Pro is on its last legs. Ordered.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9953 posts
5099 upvotes
Markham
EugW wrote: The M1 Macs replace the low end Intel Macs. The higher end Intel Macs in the same lines don't have replacements yet. For example, you can spec up to 64 GB RAM in the Intel Mac mini, and 32 GB RAM in the Intel 13" MacBook Pro. The higher end replacements (likely 8+4 core CPU) will come in 2021.

3) Low end Mac users don't need so much RAM. 16 GB is plenty for most. In fact, 8 GB is fine for many.
4) Low end Mac users are less likely to be dependent on software that is locked to Intel.
Low end users can also be scared if not Intel inside :)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19558 posts
5635 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Low end users can also be scared if not Intel inside :)
True enough, but it should be noted that Apple does have Rosetta 2 as well, which does both on-the-fly translation as well as translation at install. But anyone just surfing and using standard mainstream applications would be fine.

Still, I wouldn't be in a rush to go with M1. Luckily I don't have to. I have an (ironically) m3 12" MacBook 2017 with 16 GB, and that should suit me fine for a long while. I'm on my iPad Pro 10.5" 2017 most of the time anyway. My next upgrade will be to a 2021 iPad Pro most likely.

Nice to see they've dropped prices with the new Apple SoC models though.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15275 posts
6670 upvotes
Ottawa
yeah, I'm in no rush to replace our Intel Macs. Battery life is excellent, but the designs are still the same, as the number of ports is limited. I like that they still offer a fanless option (Air).

It still makes sense to wait it out a bit
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2005
4741 posts
2098 upvotes
GTA
warpdrive wrote: yeah, I'm in no rush to replace our Intel Macs. Battery life is excellent, but the designs are still the same, as the number of ports is limited. I like that they still offer a fanless option (Air).

It still makes sense to wait it out a bit
I feel the same about anything that is first generation
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19558 posts
5635 upvotes
Toronto
Dave98 wrote: I feel the same about anything that is first generation
A lot of the bigger apps won't be native for a while yet anyway. For example. Apple mentioned Adobe Photoshop will be native next year. I'm suspect Apple is paying Adobe to speed things along, but they same might not be true for other applications. 2022 would be a great year to upgrade though.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2007
1155 posts
197 upvotes
AVOID. You will just be a beta tester for first year products with limited applications.

Wait a few years for the app ecosystem to catch-up.
Mar 6, 2013
325 posts
130 upvotes
engmsf wrote: AVOID. You will just be a beta tester for first year products with limited applications.

Wait a few years for the app ecosystem to catch-up.
I mean, if someone needs a new MacBook now, it makes sense to get it than one that will be obsolete sooner than without this change. But if you can wait, sure.
Oct 9, 2006
602 posts
94 upvotes
EugW wrote:
Eight is not Enough.
Apr 7, 2007
678 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
I got a 2019 Air and if I wasn’t for the Xbox Series X that I just got, I’d be trading it in for one of these. The M1 is going to be so much faster than that dual core i5. I know the software will take at least a year to catch up for my usage. I’ll probably in on the 2nd gen Apple Silicon Macs.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19558 posts
5635 upvotes
Toronto
Nevyn wrote: Eight is not Enough.
While 16 GB is benefit for many people (including myself), 8 GB is perfectly fine for tons of people. I use 8 GB Macs and 8 GB Windows 10 machines every day just fine. My primary Macs are not 8 GB, but my primary Windows machine is 8 GB, cuz I mainly just run business apps on it... like a ton of other mainstream users.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2009
4683 posts
2801 upvotes
Dave98 wrote: I feel the same about anything that is first generation
I bought first gen Intel powered Macbook Pro.

And yes that was very beta feel....ran hot enough to cook...