Tags:
None
[OP]
Jan 23, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Calgary

Is no name beer a craft beer?

I am wondering no name beer is Drummond brewing company that is a craft beer?
Images
  • Screenshot_20210527-111639_Samsung Internet.jpg
26 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
1565 posts
1120 upvotes
Brampton
I think I can safely say not. But hey it might be for you.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17360 posts
4466 upvotes
Toronto
automachine wrote: I am wondering no name beer is Drummond brewing company that is a craft beer?
I think it's just an average joe beer trying to compete with the big guys under another big guy's name for less money.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Banned
Dec 1, 2020
862 posts
339 upvotes
Moderators lick khun…
The beer that is good is the beer you like devoid of all the bullcrap that makes or tells you what you should like.

I do not like coors light. Just an example. It would be like drinking my carbonated urine after I had been drinking a six pack of pale ale. Just context.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17751 posts
15206 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
A craft beer in my mind ... is like anything else that is “hand crafted” / artisan in nature

I would NEVER consider a No Name Product off a massive assembly line
That produces a lot of the same stuff with different labels / names
Would fit that description

But the others are right ...

You should drink, eat, enjoy ... whatever you like in life

Labels & Marketing are just spin / buzz
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11399 posts
4005 upvotes
It's very decent beer if you can get past the awful packaging. I believe it's brewed by Brick.

Just making the boxes black with white "BEER" on it would change the entire image.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17360 posts
4466 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: Just making the boxes black with white "BEER" on it would change the entire image.
Yes, that would make it President's choice. lol

Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5296 posts
1628 upvotes
0 downvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Yes, that would make it President's choice. lol

I miss that guy what ever happened to him?
Hi
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
11399 posts
4005 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote: Yes, that would make it President's choice. lol
There already is PC Beer which is a step up in price just like other PC product.

I just mean change the colors as the yellow turns off a lot of people.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14238 posts
9015 upvotes
Markham
PointsHubby wrote: A craft beer in my mind ... is like anything else that is “hand crafted” / artisan in nature

I would NEVER consider a No Name Product off a massive assembly line
That produces a lot of the same stuff with different labels / names
Would fit that description

But the others are right ...

You should drink, eat, enjoy ... whatever you like in life

Labels & Marketing are just spin / buzz
Sometimes ppl like the cachet of drinking craft or artisinal beer. They think drinking something that is hand crafted or artisinal means they are drinking a BETTER PRODUCT and that makes them a connoisseur of something fine/refined. Fact is they [especially ordinary ppl] do not have the ability to discern the difference. If they did totally BLIND taste tests, they'd be very surprised. The link is one of many such "tests" and these types of tests have been run on water, beer, wine etc etc. and they all pretty much say the same thing.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2 ... sting.html

Beer produced by the big players are consistent, that doesn't make it bad in any way shape or form IMO.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17360 posts
4466 upvotes
Toronto
kool1 wrote: I just mean change the colors as the yellow turns off a lot of people.
Too bad Yellow is what it is. Without the yellow, it's not no name.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46714 posts
9817 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
gr8dlr wrote: Sometimes ppl like the cachet of drinking craft or artisinal beer. They think drinking something that is hand crafted or artisinal means they are drinking a BETTER PRODUCT and that makes them a connoisseur of something fine/refined. Fact is they [especially ordinary ppl] do not have the ability to discern the difference. If they did totally BLIND taste tests, they'd be very surprised. The link is one of many such "tests" and these types of tests have been run on water, beer, wine etc etc. and they all pretty much say the same thing.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2 ... sting.html

Beer produced by the big players are consistent, that doesn't make it bad in any way shape or form IMO.
I think craft beer is over rated. They’re just trying to over do each other by making the most
-skunky
-bitter
-hoppy
Flavours. Yes it is “complex”. But how? I am an avid cognac drinker.
If you go from Hennessy VS to VSOP to XO
Then try Louis Xiii , it gets smoother. Not more harsh.

And how the heck does it pair with any food? I find that my appetite is spoiled by drinking “craft” beer. Its just so heavy and calorie dense.

Food & drink... they have to go together somehow.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/we ... opped-beer

“ In an interview two years before his death, food maven Anthony Bourdain described popping into a San Francisco bar for a cold beer, only to gape at what he described as an alien invasion.

“I looked around: the entire place was filled with people sitting there with five small glasses in front of them, filled with different beers, taking notes. This is not a bar. This is f—ing Invasion of the Body Snatchers,” he said.”

https://www.foodandwine.com/drinks/anth ... -beer-dumb

They got mad after that. Lol...
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6441 posts
2110 upvotes
BC
XmasTreelights wrote: The beer that is good is the beer you like devoid of all the bullcrap that makes or tells you what you should like.

I do not like coors light. Just an example. It would be like drinking my carbonated urine after I had been drinking a six pack of pale ale. Just context.
I would call that comparison perspective rather than context.

The context is that there are a lot of available products labelled "beer".

The perspective is that there is a wide variation in how those beers taste, and how people differ in their opinion of what tastes good.

The No Name beer is more likely to taste like any other mass-produced and heavily advertised beer. Not likely that it would be enjoyed by those that normally seek out craft beers.
So, a good money saving opportunity for some, false economy for others.
All part of life's rich pattern.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17751 posts
15206 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
kool1 wrote: It's very decent beer if you can get past the awful packaging. I believe it's brewed by Brick.

Just making the boxes black with white "BEER" on it would change the entire image.
playnicee1 wrote:
Yes, that would make it President's choice. lol

kool1 wrote:
There already is PC Beer which is a step up in price just like other PC product.

I just mean change the colors as the yellow turns off a lot of people.
playnicee1 wrote: Too bad Yellow is what it is. Without the yellow, it's not no name.
Old enough to remember Dave Nichols

Great Guy ... the man who put Loblaws Group on the map
Built Presidents Choice etc

Also remember the introduction of No Name Products (aka Generic Groceries)
And the BIG grocery wars in Canada during the 1980s & 1990s
After mega inflation in the 1970s and the resulting Recession waves that followed

Back then ... Loblaws introduced generics to Canada
The industry standard black & white labelling tho was soon in all the grocery store chains across Canada
(IGA Group - Steinberg’s Group - Dominion Group - A&P etc )

https://daily.ds106.us/tdc2484/

Along with bulk buying ... called Club Packs
Which we still have some versions left today in ALL CDN Grocery Stores

Black & White Generics ... not so much

But to stand apart ...
Loblaws took it up a notch ... and went to colour to stand out
But also to look better than the Uber boring black & white
And hence ... their trade mark yellow & black design was born
As was their trademarked “No Name Maple Leaf “ line
And their No Frills Grocery Chain
(First one I ever saw of those was around 1990 )

Today No Frills and No Name is an important core of Loblaws Group

Others have tried to copy ... but still 40-ish years on
Fall short

I mean look at the current marketing happening for No Frills
Now it’s considered a sort of status thing to be “a Hauler”

As they say ...You’ve come a long way baby !
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17360 posts
4466 upvotes
Toronto
^
Before No Frills there was a store in Scarborough that was all red on the outside called "ROCK BOTTOMS". I honestly do not know if it was independent or already owned by Loblaws, but it did close down.
The red got a yellow coat of paint over it and it re opened as No Frills in the late 80's.

According to CBC, the first No Frills store actually opened in 1978: https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/first ... ns-in-1978
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
17360 posts
4466 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Loblaws took it up a notch ... and went to colour to stand out
But also to look better than the Uber boring black & white
And hence ... their trade mark yellow & black design was born
As was their trademarked “No Name Maple Leaf “ line
And their No Frills Grocery Chain
(First one I ever saw of those was around 1990 )

Today No Frills and No Name is an important core of Loblaws Group

Others have tried to copy ... but still 40-ish years on
Fall short
Basics is Green but what failed was the all orange Price Chopper, which is now ripping off No Frills as a Freshco, even going so far as to have yellow and black flyers, ripping off No Frills.

BTW: According to CBC, the first NO FRILLS launched in 1978- https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/first ... ns-in-1978

(Loblaws got back at Sobey's opening some newer Loblaws stores with Orange carts and an Orange floor to really hint to Sobey's that maybe being orange wasn't the problem. lol)

Back to the beer, no I do not believe No name Beer is a Craft Beer. It's just (as I already said) some big name brand trying to draw attention to itself.

Now, if we see some green bottles from Basics trying to be Basics "Craft" beer, that'll change everything! lol
(or better yet, no name launching an actual "craft beer" as "No name Craft beer" lol)
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17751 posts
15206 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
playnicee1 wrote: Basics is Green but what failed was the all orange Price Chopper, which is now ripping off No Frills as a Freshco, even going so far as to have yellow and black flyers, ripping off No Frills.

BTW: According to CBC, the first NO FRILLS launched in 1978- https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/first ... ns-in-1978

(Loblaws got back at Sobey's opening some newer Loblaws stores with Orange carts and an Orange floor to really hint to Sobey's that maybe being orange wasn't the problem. lol)

Back to the beer, no I do not believe No name Beer is a Craft Beer. It's just (as I already said) some big name brand trying to draw attention to itself.

Now, if we see some green bottles from Basics trying to be Basics "Craft" beer, that'll change everything! lol
(or better yet, no name launching an actual "craft beer" as "No name Craft beer" lol)
1978 ... I was living in Quebec (Montreal)
At the time, groceries there was all about Steinberg’s & Dominion

My first run in with Loblaws Group was in the 1980s ... after I moved to Ontario (not Toronto)

So I never heard of No Frills
Until I saw one in Ottawa like I said around 1990

By that time ...
Yellow No Name had taken off for Loblaws
As had the Presidents Choice branding ... c/o Dave Nichol

These 2 branding choices ... literally MADE the Loblaws Brand we all know today
They then stood aside from the every other grocery store chain in Canada

The PC Brand was so revolutionary ... that the little cookie (PC Decadent Chocolate Chip) that started it all
Is today sold worldwide ... as PC = Presidents Choice Brand
Pretty much the first “store brand” item to ever do that (not just marketed within a single chain )

And as far as I can tell ... everyone else in Canada has spent the last 40+ years trying to catch up
And ya ... that means a lot of copying

Food Basics - FreshCo - Price Chopper Canada - Super C
All clones

I still prefer the main lines ... but I get what the appeal is for these discount stores (there is a niche)
Personally ... my niche would be more RCSS
But they are few and far between in some parts of Ontario / Canada

Back to beer ...
Agree on your views on Craft Beers
Be it No Name, or Presidents Choice
But a lot of things have changed in the beer world too since the 1980s
Heck, changed in Ontario for Beer in the last 5 to 10 years (more brewery start ups)
Even more so ... during the pandemic
(Like home delivery )
Last edited by PointsHubby on May 28th, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14238 posts
9015 upvotes
Markham
I bet I can do a test and a whole bunch of ppl would not be able to consistently identify which is a craft beer and which is mass produced if we stay within a type category.

At the end of the day, beer for the most part are produced with the exact same ingredients ie Water, grains, Hops, Yeast. The difference is one is doing it with much biggest volume batches.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!