Tags:
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18845 posts
2529 upvotes
Woodbridge

No Outside Food Allowed. Why?

We went out last night, got take out but decided to eat in, weather is great. Patio.

Since the manager didn't want to talk to us, just to get an explanation I'll ask here. We weren't going to eat the take out, we were all going to order.

We even ask if they can hold for us, hide it I guess but they refused. They also seemed so offended by it. No apology, we had to go. We've eaten here at least 7 times.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
38 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5087 posts
4040 upvotes
bembol wrote: We went out last night, got take out but decided to eat in, weather is great. Patio.

Since the manager didn't want to talk to us, just to get an explanation I'll ask here. We weren't going to eat the take out, we were all going to order.

We even ask if they can hold for us, hide it I guess but they refused. They also seemed so offended by it. No apology, we had to go. We've eaten here at least 7 times.
Please edit your post to clearly state what the problem is - it makes no sense.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9703 posts
1973 upvotes
Toronto
You opted for take out but dined in instead after receiving your take out order?
This works at fast food places like Mc Donanld's, but probably not fine dining, where tips are expected by servers and covid distancing seating in place.
With limited seating due to covid requirements, diners and those with reservations may be inconvenienced.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13599 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Please edit your post to clearly state what the problem is - it makes no sense.
Oh.... I think I get it.

OP placed a takeout order at another restaurant. Picked it up and walked by a different restaurant and thought "Hey! It's nice out. Let's eat here and take the first takeout home after we eat at restaurant 2. To not offend the restaurant, let's ask them to hide it"

If that's accurate, it is kind of weird. Maybe they're afraid you'll break into the bags and start eating takeout but that would be solved by the restaurant holding them.

Still... it took a few tries and some mental gymnastics to figure that out.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Jul 16, 2019
1156 posts
540 upvotes
Assuming its takeout food from the same restaurant, takeout orders are normally discounted. I have a friend who worked at a restaurant and some customers would order takeout (10% discount plus some dishes were priced differently) and then ask for takeout cutlery and then sit down at a table to eat - till he turfed them.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18845 posts
2529 upvotes
Woodbridge
It doesn't makes sense. lol I was still half asleep.

Anyways...

It was from a different restaurant and we changed our mind. We went to a different restaurant to dine in. Patio.

Yes, it's weird but we just don't see the big deal. We ate there several times and leave a great tip too.

It's not like one of us was going to eat the take out from the other restaurant while the rest order. We parked far so not exactly an option to leave it in the vehicle.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Apr 7, 2012
51 posts
68 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Oh.... I think I get it.

OP placed a takeout order at another restaurant. Picked it up and walked by a different restaurant and thought "Hey! It's nice out. Let's eat here and take the first takeout home after we eat at restaurant 2. To not offend the restaurant, let's ask them to hide it"

If that's accurate, it is kind of weird. Maybe they're afraid you'll break into the bags and start eating takeout but that would be solved by the restaurant holding them.

Still... it took a few tries and some mental gymnastics to figure that out.
Thank you for the clarification - it's much appreciated!

bembol, I would think the 'big deal' would be that the restaurant would be opening itself up to a bunch of potential problems by holding your food. It's a completely different issue from holding a customer's jacket or hat. Perhaps there was no space available to hold it away from public view. By holding that food, they would likely have to assume responsibility for it, and these days, that's definitely too much to ask of service staff - what if it was taken or accidentally thrown out? As you know, food must be held at a certain temperature to remain safe - what if that food made you sick when you got home? The restaurant has no way of knowing whether you'll claim that they altered your food or tainted it somehow while it was in their care and press charges. Businesses must protect themselves from litigious customers - and until it happens, they just never know who these folks are. Also, the optics of this are bad - I'm having a hard time explaining why exactly, perhaps it's just one of those "it's just not done" type of things. Just...no.

In my opinion, the restaurant did the right thing.
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1144 posts
341 upvotes
Mississauga area
I think the restaurant you decided to eat at was confused. They probably thought you were going to eat some of the food you brought from the other restaurant.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
46692 posts
9783 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
They can’t just start stuffing customer outside food into their fridge. Due to covid… and even if it was fully sanitary and covid free, the optics of it is bad.
They can leave it behind the count. But then they are now in health violation for storing food @ improper holding temps for too long.
And who knows how long its been.
If you get diareah mama mia, food poisoning, and get violently ill… they are technically liable. Because now they are the ones giving you improperly stored food.
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
4926 posts
7255 upvotes
Ontario
Mall food courts/mall outside eating areas have the same rules too. YMMV-read the mall websites!
Given how sensitive some customers are to COVID price increases or separate charges on bills to cover PPE, some businesses are in the mood for income, not hassles or letting things slide during a really tough year and now the hot weather.
2021-Be more colourful and generous.😎
[OP]
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18845 posts
2529 upvotes
Woodbridge
All good we get it we just wanted an explanation. The manager didn't want to talk to us. The lady just said we had to go.

We admitted it's weird, we even tied the bag up and set it aside in the corner were we sat, they didn't like it so we ask if they wanted to hold it. No either. So we left.

Not like we were going to be Karen/Kent's about it.

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3456 posts
3092 upvotes
Toronto
bembol wrote: All good we get it we just wanted an explanation. The manager didn't want to talk to us. The lady just said we had to go.

We admitted it's weird, we even tied the bag up and set it aside in the corner were we sat, they didn't like it so we ask if they wanted to hold it. No either. So we left.

Not like we were going to be Karen/Kent's about it.
I don't see what the big deal is and I would say the restaurant made an issue of something that isn't an issue at all. If you made it clear that you were going to order and the other food was tied up and in a corner this makes no sense. Even if you weren't going to order food there and only have drinks as long as you're not going to eat that other food it makes no sense. All they had to do was say sorry you can't eat that here.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18018 posts
1032 upvotes
there's places that will only offer "bar snacks" with their beers/alcohol and those are the kinds of places that usually allow or even encourage outside food.. Block Three Brewing etc you can bring outside food of any kind, even whole pizzas
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
10419 posts
4530 upvotes
duckdown wrote: there's places that will only offer "bar snacks" with their beers/alcohol and those are the kinds of places that usually allow or even encourage outside food.. Block Three Brewing etc you can bring outside food of any kind, even whole pizzas
My water hole used to do bar snacks every day for the regulars..... Always a good time.

Post Covid though, that thought seems a bit gross and scary now. Lol
Deal Guru
Apr 24, 2006
10358 posts
706 upvotes
Mississauga
Ciel wrote: Mall food courts/mall outside eating areas have the same rules too. YMMV-read the mall websites!
Given how sensitive some customers are to COVID price increases or separate charges on bills to cover PPE, some businesses are in the mood for income, not hassles or letting things slide during a really tough year and now the hot weather.
Mall food courts work how the OP is asking. You can easily bring outside food. No one will tell you to leave or throw it out if you have a slice of pizza while their aren't any places that sell pizza etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2010
2137 posts
575 upvotes
Toronto
Tijuana wrote: Mall food courts work how the OP is asking. You can easily bring outside food. No one will tell you to leave or throw it out if you have a slice of pizza while their aren't any places that sell pizza etc.
I used to think the same until Chick-Fil-A opened in Bloor/Yonge.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2020
1720 posts
1211 upvotes
They might not have the fridge space to hold your take out order from a competitor, and even if they did, they could be sued if you got sick eating that take out after it's been in their fridge. Of course they shouldnt hold it for you.
Jun 3, 2006
785 posts
197 upvotes
Markham
That's really weird. Is it really much different than if you had shopping bags and then went to a restaurant in the mall to eat? Why didn't you just put the bags of food under your table or chair?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27969 posts
13599 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: All restaurants on this planet work this way. If they don't, they are an exception & rarity. Not the norm.
As management (assuming OP explained it better in person rather than on here) I don't think I'd have a problem with it.
If anything it looks better since they're eating at my joint rather than the competitors.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.