Automotive

No Ownership / Only Bill of Sale - Out of Province Vehicle

  • Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 9:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2004
4573 posts
432 upvotes

No Ownership / Only Bill of Sale - Out of Province Vehicle

Is it possible to register a classic car from Alberta with just the bill of sale, no ownership?

I bought a vehicle and got it shipped here. I have the complete signed bill of sale, safety records, copies of the owner's insurance papers, the previous Alberta safety, but says he can’t find the previous ownership papers.

Thanks for any tips / suggestions. I am not overly miffed about it as I think he will go get a new one if I absolutely need it. I do trust the seller isn't lying or anything. Seems like a good guy, checks out. I legit believe he can't find...
10 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
Where is here? COTU?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6786 posts
2546 upvotes
BC
Even though it is a classic car, he would still have been required to carry the registration/ownership papers in the vehicle when driving it.

So somewhat odd that it is missing. Copies of his insurance coverage and Alberta safety won't be of any help to you.

If he hasn't handed his plate back in, he should be able to buy a replacement ownership to send you.
If has already notified them that the vehicle is no longer his, might be a bit harder.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
4260 posts
3106 upvotes
Edmonton
What do you mean, ownership? Bill of Sale is ownership. To register a vehicle in Alberta, you need the following:

proof of ownership document, such as a lease, bill of sale, probated will or letters of administration.

proof of valid insurance for the vehicle that includes the name(s) of the person(s) requesting the registration.

acceptable identification.

an out-of-province, salvage or commercial inspection (if applicable)

if you are registering a used vehicle in Alberta for the first time, you may require an inspection if the vehicle was purchased outside of Alberta
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2564 posts
1283 upvotes
Hometown
starchoice wrote: What do you mean, ownership? Bill of Sale is ownership. To register a vehicle in Alberta, you need the following:

proof of ownership document, such as a lease, bill of sale, probated will or letters of administration.

proof of valid insurance for the vehicle that includes the name(s) of the person(s) requesting the registration.

acceptable identification.

an out-of-province, salvage or commercial inspection (if applicable)

if you are registering a used vehicle in Alberta for the first time, you may require an inspection if the vehicle was purchased outside of Alberta
Umm are you claiming that any individual not a dealer selling a NEW car. Could just draw up a bill of sale for a vehicle in Alberta, and it would be considered as the valid ownership? Talk about the real wild west if that is so. LOL

In Ontario if the seller was in fact the "real" owner of the vehicle, it would not be an issue they would just have to head themselves down to their local Service Ontario and PAY 32.00 dollars for a replacement.... Sign it and then forward it to the OP

Assuming the seller is honest and the REAL registered owner as the OP noted it should only take a bit of effort and money to replace the ownership even in Alberta...
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4585 posts
4827 upvotes
GTA
Canuck2fan wrote: Talk about the real wild west if that is so. LOL
I always joke with my friend from BC about this too. They don't need safety certificates for used car sales. He bought a car out of a field, and drove it across Canada the next day. God knows what kind of mechanical condition it was in.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 28, 2004
4573 posts
432 upvotes
Sorry. My bad.

Here is ONTARIO.

I have the bill of sale from Alberta but not the ownership papers. THe seller has offered to go get the replacement this week, but still need to get it couriered here.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2564 posts
1283 upvotes
Hometown
derass wrote: I always joke with my friend from BC about this too. They don't need safety certificates for used car sales. He bought a car out of a field, and drove it across Canada the next day. God knows what kind of mechanical condition it was in.
Sounds like a Canadian's YouTube channel operators paradise!!!! NO sales tax on used private sales and no safety?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7033 posts
3794 upvotes
Ottawa
Check with Service Ontario but I do not believe you can register a vehicle without the ownership. If it was last registered in Ontario, the previous owner would likely be able to apply for a replacement ownership and then you could transfer it with that but I suspect you'll need to get the previous owner involved and even then there will be hoops to jump through.

Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6786 posts
2546 upvotes
BC
starchoice wrote: What do you mean, ownership? Bill of Sale is ownership. To register a vehicle in Alberta, you need the following:

proof of ownership document, such as a lease, bill of sale, probated will or letters of administration.
proof of valid insurance for the vehicle that includes the name(s) of the person(s) requesting the registration.
acceptable identification.
......


Maybe we are talking at cross purposes.

You are correct in saying that a Bill of Sale serves as proof of ownership in order to register a vehicle in Alberta, but,
what you then get is a Certificate of Registration (commonly referred to as 'ownership'). This gets renewed annually.

That piece of paper is what OP needs to register a used vehicle in Ontario, which gets him an Ontario registration certificate (again renewed annually when getting a plate decal).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 13, 2007
4260 posts
3106 upvotes
Edmonton
macnut wrote: Maybe we are talking at cross purposes.

You are correct in saying that a Bill of Sale serves as proof of ownership in order to register a vehicle in Alberta, but,
what you then get is a Certificate of Registration (commonly referred to as 'ownership'). This gets renewed annually.

That piece of paper is what OP needs to register a used vehicle in Ontario, which gets him an Ontario registration certificate (again renewed annually when getting a plate decal).
I see what you are saying but when you register your vehicle, you get a registration document. I have never heard it referenced as an ownership document. My wife purchase a vehicle solely in her own name but I registered it solely in my name.

If you look at the criteria I itemized for registering a vehicle, you don’t need a registration certificate (of the previous owner or registrant). Once you register the vehicle, you have the new document in your name.

Of course, this applies to Alberta and things may be different in Ontario.

My error, anyways. When reading the initial post, I thought he was registering in Alberta but it was only an Alberta purchase to be registered in Ontario.

It’s easy enough to get a duplicate registration but there is a fee.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)