Shopping Discussion

No Price Match @ Staples for Boxing Week (Not B-Day specials)?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2004 1:33 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23814 posts
5478 upvotes
where I belong

No Price Match @ Staples for Boxing Week (Not B-Day specials)?

Long story short
1. I tried to price match a keyboard & mouse combo (Logitech MX Duo) at Staples in Waterloo with Future Shop

2. My cashier was just about to take a look and the cashier beside her just said "We don't do Price Match this week"
I said but it's not a "Boxing Day ONLY" sales price, she said still NO

3. I left pissed, and determined to go back and PM if I have valid grounds...
I have seen 2 other persons PM at Staples successfully and posted
One PM'ed 2 CompactFlash cards (he bought at FS, went to Staples for PM, and will return the FS ones)

One PM'ed a 802.11g PCI Adapter
showthread.php?t=126901
So am I allowed to Price Match on Boxing Week for Boxing Week Sales Items (not Boxing Day ones)?

I tried to do online, but guess what --- everything is OOS
I don't see the policy anywhere...........

I will be PM-only customers from now, determined to get back at them
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
AMEX Personal 60K || Business Platinum 75K || Biz Gold 40K
25 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2004
1904 posts
589 upvotes
Ottawa
Here is e-mail from Staples regarding my price match request. Anybody did the price match successfully. Please give us your update.

=============================================
We appreciate your inquiry concerning this issue,

Unfortunately we were unable to match our 150% Price Guarantee for the
following reason.

Due to competitors special sales and promotions, we will not be able to
honour any boxing day sales for price match.

Please click the link below to review our Price Match Policy.
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Static/static ... pricematch
Jun 19, 2002
319 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I realize our right to price match acording to Staples policy but I think I have to side with Staples on this one. Boxing day is the one day where all rules are thrown out the window, except that you can't steal a product (this does not include bargains that feel like stealing). If you can get a PM then good, if you can't too bad for you.
University of Toronto - Engineering Science
Co-Founder www.internshare.com
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23814 posts
5478 upvotes
where I belong
novastar wrote:I realize our right to price match acording to Staples policy but I think I have to side with Staples on this one. Boxing day is the one day where all rules are thrown out the window, except that you can't steal a product (this does not include bargains that feel like stealing). If you can get a PM then good, if you can't too bad for you.
I understand that they won't PM Doorcrasher, or Dec. 26/27 ONLY items
But they won't PM Boxing Week sales? That's just weird......

Logitech Cordless MX Duo $89.99 at FS (from 99.99) Quantity: 49x
Staples has $149.95 (OOS of course), so PM will bring it down to $59.99
It's not like I'm PMing a FREE item.

Anyway, my eyes are on whatever PM's I can get from Stooples this coming month, just to fulfill my anger, ha ha
Which Credit Cards to sign up? >> Jerry's List of Credit Cards with $200+ Welcome bonus/Aeroplan & AMEX Churning FAQ
Dec 31, 2001
760 posts
BC
Most stores don't do pm on boxing day, because they only pm "in stock" items, and all boxing day sale items are limited quantity or "while quantity last"
Jun 25, 2002
18 posts
novastar wrote:I realize our right to price match acording to Staples policy but I think I have to side with Staples on this one. Boxing day is the one day where all rules are thrown out the window, except that you can't steal a product (this does not include bargains that feel like stealing). If you can get a PM then good, if you can't too bad for you.
I'll disagree with you on this one. I can see that boxing day itself might be a special case; but not boxing week. I don't see anything in their pricematch policy that they only PM on certain dates. Next it will be that they won't PM on the day that their competitors flyers come out; giving them a chance to either adjust prices or hide stock.
I agree with Jerry that Staples isn't winning over many fans with their customer relations.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2002
6849 posts
7 upvotes
Raxel wrote:Most stores don't do pm on boxing day, because they only pm "in stock" items, and all boxing day sale items are limited quantity or "while quantity last"
I received a PM from Staples both yesterday and today. Both for the same item. Yesterday was a piece of cake and I was in and out in 10 minutes. Today, in a different Staples, they tried the no PM on Boxing Day Sales. Limited quantity or not -- the fact is they have to honour a PM request as long as the competitor has the item in stock at the same point in time.

Do yourself a favour and print out web pages showing in-stock items 10-15 minutes before going into Staples. Call the competitor 10-15 minutes before and have them put the item in question aside with your name on it. Or do what I did and place an online order with the competitor. I could then show Staples a confirmed order for the item in question.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23814 posts
5478 upvotes
where I belong
Mark099 wrote:I received a PM from Staples both yesterday and today. Both for the same item. Yesterday was a piece of cake and I was in and out in 10 minutes. Today, in a different Staples, they tried the no PM on Boxing Day Sales. Limited quantity or not -- the fact is they have to honour a PM request as long as the competitor has the item in stock at the same point in time.

Do yourself a favour and print out web pages showing in-stock items 10-15 minutes before going into Staples. Call the competitor 10-15 minutes before and have them put the item in question aside with your name on it. Or do what I did and place an online order with the competitor. I could then show Staples a confirmed order for the item in question.
My Staples will NOT even look at my printout. Straight "NO PM this week" BS at me, I was so freaking pissed!!!

Will it help if I
1. Buy the same item at FS first and bring it in?
2. Talk to the manager? (I can't believe I got shut down by a cashier, not even manager)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2002
6849 posts
7 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:My Staples will NOT even look at my printout. Straight "NO PM this week" BS at me, I was so freaking pissed!!!

Will it help if I
1. Buy the same item at FS first and bring it in?
2. Talk to the manager? (I can't believe I got shut down by a cashier, not even manager)
Today, when I was having a little bit of a problem, I just asked the sales associate to show me where in their policy are Boxing Day deals excluded. Sure, limited quantity items (20 or less) may be exempt because it is assumed that they well sell out within a few hours and most will. But when a limited quantity item is still available 36-72 hours after it was first offered for sale and the price is available for another week I do not think Staples has any valid arguement not to PM at 150%.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2004
1443 posts
413 upvotes
Toronto
Mark099 wrote:Today, when I was having a little bit of a problem, I just asked the sales associate to show me where in their policy are Boxing Day deals excluded. Sure, limited quantity items (20 or less) may be exempt because it is assumed that they well sell out within a few hours and most will. But when a limited quantity item is still available 36-72 hours after it was first offered for sale and the price is available for another week I do not think Staples has any valid arguement not to PM at 150%.
I have to side with Staples. How can the price still be available a week later if they sell out in 72 hours? Is it just me??????

Honestly though, you guys spend way too much time trying to screw Staples when Staples is one of the better stores.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 25, 2002
6849 posts
7 upvotes
James_TheVirus wrote:I have to side with Staples. How can the price still be available a week later if they sell out in 72 hours? Is it just me??????
I think you need to read what I wrote, again. If a competitor has an item in-stock when you are in a Staples store requesting a PM there is no valid reason for Staples to deny your request.

BTW... we are not trying to screw Staples. We are shopping for the best price on items we want to purchase.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
James_TheVirus wrote:I have to side with Staples. How can the price still be available a week later if they sell out in 72 hours? Is it just me??????

Honestly though, you guys spend way too much time trying to screw Staples when Staples is one of the better stores.
Mark099 wrote:I think you need to read what I wrote, again. If a competitor has an item in-stock when you are in a Staples store requesting a PM there is no valid reason for Staples to deny your request.

BTW... we are not trying to screw Staples. We are shopping for the best price on items we want to purchase.
--------------

thats right!.... we're NOT trying to screw staples....just tryin to save some $$$$....!

but i gotta agree with James_TheVirus b/c staples is the better store ... NOT in terms of service and/or customer relations... but in terms of quality of most (but not ALL) of their products.....
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2004
1090 posts
22 upvotes
jerryhung wrote:NOW Stooples removed the Logitech MX Duo from the website completely, WOW.......... No longer available

strange
If you'd bother to read the last dozen threads where someone has said "HOT DEAL CORDLESS MX DUO", and about a dozen people smack said person for being clueless - here's another. Staples hasn't carried that item in stock for oh...about 4 or 5 months now. IF you find it lying on a shelf in a store, then its your luck and its a clearance item. The reason it was probably removed from the website is because they got tired of people trying to buy it every Saturday night/Sunday morning when the inventory screw up/changover thing happens.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23814 posts
5478 upvotes
where I belong
Howlader wrote:If you'd bother to read the last dozen threads where someone has said "HOT DEAL CORDLESS MX DUO", and about a dozen people smack said person for being clueless - here's another. Staples hasn't carried that item in stock for oh...about 4 or 5 months now. IF you find it lying on a shelf in a store, then its your luck and its a clearance item. The reason it was probably removed from the website is because they got tired of people trying to buy it every Saturday night/Sunday morning when the inventory screw up/changover thing happens.
Well, I was guessing that as none was in stock when I visited, still when I tried to PM another kb & mice combo, didn't have the chance at all

Sour grape - maybe I don't need that stuff :(
Deal Fanatic
Nov 20, 2003
6592 posts
2947 upvotes
Moncton, NB
I was able to get 2 X 256 Sandisk SD cards and 1 256 Sandisk Compact flash with no problem... also I got a Gamecube game for 15$ and I used a 20$ / 100$ off coupon... my total came to about 92$
Deal Addict
Sep 1, 2003
1547 posts
10 upvotes
Has anyone tried contacting Staples head office to ask their stance on the policy some stores seem to be adopting, or better yet reported a store/employee/manager who refused to honour a valid PM?

Staples head office takes the price guarantee policy pretty seriously from my understanding.

'Boxing Week' (non-doorcrasher items) is just like any other flyer sale price IMO
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2004
1090 posts
22 upvotes
Well, I did some price matches this week, and I asked one of my managers, and we both agreed that as long as its not a door crasher item (ie: they've got stock when I make the call to verify the product), then price matches go along as normal. But realistically, its very dependent on the management.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Sep 19, 2004
23814 posts
5478 upvotes
where I belong
pluto wrote:Has anyone tried contacting Staples head office to ask their stance on the policy some stores seem to be adopting, or better yet reported a store/employee/manager who refused to honour a valid PM?

Staples head office takes the price guarantee policy pretty seriously from my understanding.

'Boxing Week' (non-doorcrasher items) is just like any other flyer sale price IMO
How do we contact Head Office? Thru "Contact Us" on Stooples website? I think not. Any direct e-mail or phone # I can call
I am still upset on their dumb excuse and gonna report Waterloo Stooples