• Aug 4th, 2020 9:16 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4161 posts
1075 upvotes
Charlottetown

No sound on Win 10 laptop

There was a Windows and a Redeon update update for my Win 10 Asus Vivobook 14 last night, which I installed, and now I have no sound/audio on my laptop, tried Troubleshooter, checked Settings, etc, Audio Troubleshooter couldn't find anything, nothing is set to Mute........ one strange thing I noticed is FN key stays on, won't respond to Off/On. Thanks for any advice.
6 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3384 posts
809 upvotes
You sure your playback device is set to your laptop speaker and not some HDMI/other out put? You should be able to roll back the update if that's interfering .
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12331 posts
1861 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Happened to my sister's computer. Everything looked fine, but no audio. I had to install some audio driver update.

PoS Win10. What's the use of having updates if the update is going to cause issues? That in itself is malware.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4161 posts
1075 upvotes
Charlottetown
coilz wrote: You sure your playback device is set to your laptop speaker and not some HDMI/other out put? You should be able to roll back the update if that's interfering .
rabbit wrote: Happened to my sister's computer. Everything looked fine, but no audio. I had to install some audio driver update.

PoS Win10. What's the use of having updates if the update is going to cause issues? That in itself is malware.
My opinion, Windows should have stuck with Windows 7. Well, weird one but got it fixed, I had run a malware scan, nothing, then uninstalled update, Bitdefender detected something and quarantined it, reinstalled Windows Update and now sound works. Rookie mistake, but i had run Malwarebytes first. Thanks for the help!!
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12331 posts
1861 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
townie22 wrote: My opinion, Windows should have stuck with Windows 7.
Microsoft didn't, but I did :D .

FYI, Intel i?-6??? is the last generation to have Win7 drivers.
May 29, 2008
754 posts
279 upvotes
Hamilton
rabbit wrote: Microsoft didn't, but I did :D .

FYI, Intel i?-6??? is the last generation to have Win7 drivers.
That's not true. I have an i9-9900k on Windows 7. It's running on a Z370 chipset, which has official support for Windows 7 drivers. Z390 doesn't have official support but people have modified the USB 3 drivers to get it working anyway. Even before those modified drivers were released, you could get Windows 7 installed and working on a Z390 system anyway. You would have to use an expansion card to have working USB 3 ports though.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
12331 posts
1861 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I'll take your word for it. Intel only shows the Management Engine Driver for Win7x64.