No tdsb info for 1st school day

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2021 5:03 pm
[OP]
Mar 10, 2004
762 posts
274 upvotes

No tdsb info for 1st school day

I haven t received any info from the school about the 1st day of school which is tomorrow on thurs sept 9. Child going into grade 7 at glenview public school in toronto. Other parents are in same position. Anybody know what s going on? I don t even know when school starts or ends.
14 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2006
1019 posts
709 upvotes
Ottawa
Every school has a website. Get on there and you'll find everything you need. School calendar, safety protocols, etc, etc. Then, send them an email to update your contact information to ensure that you are on their list for electronic communication.
Mar 1, 2015
214 posts
134 upvotes
Toronto
Teachers are barely finding out before you and I'm sure admin just a little before that. It is a weird time. People are getting calls 9PM the night before with info so hopefully you get some info today.
[OP]
Mar 10, 2004
762 posts
274 upvotes
Just got email with start and stop times. All good. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2015 posts
1800 upvotes
Ottawa
One of the Ottawa school boards sent out the information at 5:30 am the day school started.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1241 posts
711 upvotes
Ripley
Our schools don't send out information like that past kindergarten. It's all on the website.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2015 posts
1800 upvotes
Ottawa
zeddy wrote: Our schools don't send out information like that past kindergarten. It's all on the website.
Except when it's not, as happened here.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1631 upvotes
0 downvotes
wow so this is the staggered approach to the start of school that they wanted? what ever happened to starting the day after labour day like in the old days?
Hi
May 21, 2012
294 posts
231 upvotes
Burlington
GoodFellaz wrote: wow so this is the staggered approach to the start of school that they wanted? what ever happened to starting the day after labour day like in the old days?
Some boards started later because Rosh Hashanah conflicted with starting school the day after Labour Day.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2015 posts
1800 upvotes
Ottawa
GoodFellaz wrote: wow so this is the staggered approach to the start of school that they wanted? what ever happened to starting the day after labour day like in the old days?
Different boards have always started at different times.

In Ottawa, some started last week and others started this week. Public Kindergartners start next week.
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1631 upvotes
0 downvotes
wow it was never like that growing up but cool none the less
Hi
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17928 posts
15385 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Dynatos wrote: Different boards have always started at different times.

In Ottawa, some started last week and others started this week. Public Kindergartners start next week.
CC = @GoodFellaz

Yup … been this way forever … when I lived in the National Capital Region
Soooo many boards & so many education options in the region

Ottawa School Board
Carleton School Board
These two merged and became the Ottawa-Carleton School Board (English Public education)

Ottawa Catholic School Board (English Catholic education)

Conseil des écoles publiques de l'Est de l'Ontario (French Public education)

Conseil des écoles catholiques du Centre-Est (French Catholic education)

And that’s not even counting the ones on the Quebec side of the river
Or the various private schools in the region … that a lot of Govt Workers or Diplomats send their kids to
Or the upteen Daycare / Montessori Schools

Literally … everyone of them can all be on different calendars & schedules
Some start late August, some after Labour Day
Some finish mid June, some late June
There’s at least one school that’s even on a year round semestered system

And daily …
There are schools that bus, and schools that don’t
Some start before 8 … and finish by 2
Some as late as 9 … and finish by 4

PD Days, Christmas Holidays, Spring Break
Seems every board has their own schedule

Scheduling kids / families while living in Ottawa was always a real challenge
In fact saw this guy on the CTV News last night … and it brought back all the scheduling issues

1:13 mark in the video
I really feel for him …
https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/driver-shorta ... -1.5577842
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
5309 posts
1631 upvotes
0 downvotes
I was commenting to the STAGGERED approach, NOT Starting on different days compared to other boards. This is new, this was not always the case, they want to slowly gradually let the younger kids start school. did you guys not notice this? young kids go to school Tuesday, stay home Wednesday go to class Thursday etc.
Hi
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
14629 posts
8903 upvotes
Toronto
GoodFellaz wrote: I was commenting to the STAGGERED approach, NOT Starting on different days compared to other boards. This is new, this was not always the case, they want to slowly gradually let the younger kids start school. did you guys not notice this? young kids go to school Tuesday, stay home Wednesday go to class Thursday etc.
Maybe with your school board, not with TDSB (which this thread is about), they all started today
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17928 posts
15385 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
GoodFellaz wrote: I was commenting to the STAGGERED approach, NOT Starting on different days compared to other boards. This is new, this was not always the case, they want to slowly gradually let the younger kids start school. did you guys not notice this? young kids go to school Tuesday, stay home Wednesday go to class Thursday etc.
Over the years have definitely seen that for JK & SK
Kids get added to the class gradually

But I think what you are referring to is the newer concept of Meet & Greet in some schools
So they start back perhaps a week earlier (last week)
With different grades going in on different days to meet the teacher, classmates, etc

So example … Elementary School
Grade ones & twos went in all day Wednesday
3s and 4s went in all day Thursday
And 5s and 6s went in all day Friday
Then all grades … started as per usual this week

I have heard some boards / schools right across Canada are doing this
Or a variation of it …

As teachers / principals like the fact their grades have the whole school to themselves for that one day
No big distractions
They have more time to do a school tour with their classes when rest of the school is empty
Go over hallway rules, recess rules, lunch rules, gym rules, assembly rules, etc
And often there is also time for the kids to see / meet the other teachers & kids in their cohort year etc