• Dec 22nd, 2019 12:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4042 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto

No water for 20 hours: City says pipe is frozen

Hi, my home has had no water for 20 hours. I called Alectra, which transferred me to the city. I told them my issue, and they confirmed on their end that my water line is still active, and will send someone to investigate. A city worker came an hour later, was scanning my front lawn (I assume it was to determine if the pipe underneath my lawn feeding my home was frozen). He came in and told me to put a space heater at the main shutoff valve, which did feel very cold. I did so for 5 hours straight but still I have no water.

Is it just a waiting game? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? I'm starting to stink now and need to do laundry...........
Anyone else facing similar issues? I am in the Hamilton area.
34 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2520 upvotes
There’s should be a bleeder cap on the main valve or a hose bib immediately downstream of the meter, or pen that and check if you have pressure
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2520 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Hi where would that be?
Wow, that setup screams Hamilton. Anyway the bleeder is the small screw cap on your main valve, although it appears that the valve was installed backwards as the bleeder cap should be on the downstream side of the valve when turned off. In your case the bleeder would always be live and would defeat the purpose of it. (To drain residual water in the line when the main is shut off)
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8540 posts
1496 upvotes
Possibly use a propane torch to heat the pipe?
Help an animal charity or sanctuary out today. Become a volunteer, advocate, foster a pet, or donate. They need you as much as you need them!
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
14895 posts
15755 upvotes
Oakville
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: Hi where would that be?
How cold was that room before you started heating it?
Were you away from the house for a while and turned down the heat? Was there any other unusual activity just before this happened?
It hasn't even been that cold yet.

So you have zero water coming out of all your taps?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2520 upvotes
The frozen stage is inconvenient but is not necessarily the part you need to worry about. It’s the thawing stage that can expose any ruptures due to freezing.

Open a few taps now to allow air into the system
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4042 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: How cold was that room before you started heating it?
Were you away from the house for a while and turned down the heat? Was there any other unusual activity just before this happened?
It hasn't even been that cold yet.

So you have zero water coming out of all your taps?
Hi the room was at 67 degrees Fahrenheit. It happened overnight when I was sleeping. I did brush my teeth just before bed which I used the tap. When I woke up today there was no water. Zero water from all pipes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4042 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: The frozen stage is inconvenient but is not necessarily the part you need to worry about. It’s the thawing stage that can expose any ruptures due to freezing.

Open a few taps now to allow air into the system

I did. Just praying to see liquid flowing down soon........
Toilets are a mess now.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1211 posts
1038 upvotes
NEMESIS_2008 wrote: I did. Just praying to see liquid flowing down soon........
Toilets are a mess now.
If you have a water tank instead of a brainless... err... I mean tankless ;) then unplug the tank and connect a garden hose to the drain valve so you can fill up buckets of water to flush toilets. Open hot water faucet or TP valve to get water flowing.

EDIT: If you do so make sure to get all the air out of tank before plugging it in when water is back.
The first person you should appreciate, is yourself. Otherwise you are asking others to do something you refuse to do yourself.

Life is like a roller coaster. You should try to enjoy the ride.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5109 posts
2520 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: If you have a water tank instead of a brainless... err... I mean tankless ;) then unplug the tank and connect a garden hose to the drain valve so you can fill up buckets of water to flush toilets. Open hot water faucet or TP valve to get water flowing.

EDIT: If you do so make sure to get all the air out of tank before plugging it in when water is back.
If your tank is fully electric make sure you shut off the breaker before you do this and make sure the tank is completely full before you turn the breaker back on (when water is restored)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4042 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
Red_Army wrote: There’s should be a bleeder cap on the main valve or a hose bib immediately downstream of the meter, or pen that and check if you have pressure
I found the bleeder cap.. I unscrewed it, some water came out, then stopped. This is with the main shut off valve open.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4172 posts
3449 upvotes
Toronto
Aim a hairdryer at the pipes.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4042 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: If you have a water tank instead of a brainless... err... I mean tankless ;) then unplug the tank and connect a garden hose to the drain valve so you can fill up buckets of water to flush toilets. Open hot water faucet or TP valve to get water flowing.

I think this would be the last resort. Any reason why the hot water wont flow to my faucets? Why is the hot water in the tank not flowing?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4042 posts
439 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: Aim a hairdryer at the pipes.
I have a portable heater aimed at the pipes for more than 6 hours now......