Automotive

Noco GB40 can not boost a 2011 Kia Sportage with 2.4 engine

  • Last Updated:
  • Jan 25th, 2021 4:36 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
1037 posts
97 upvotes
Halifax

Noco GB40 can not boost a 2011 Kia Sportage with 2.4 engine

I have tried to use the GB40 4 different times and it fails every time. Its advertised as being able to start up to a 6 liter gas engine and the Kia has a 2.4

Yes I know we fail for letting our battery die this many times but keep in mind this is over a 6 year period and we have replaced the battery once during that time

The last example was at our house so I have more information.

Why it discharged
Key left in the ignition likely in accessory position, When starting car makes very loud rapid-fire clicking sound and does not start. clicking lasts as long as you hold the key to start position. its 10 degrees in the garage.

GB40
Connected the GB40 with red to red and black to black and turned on power.
the red, yellow, green lights start to "chase" and the boost light turns on indicating the battery is detected and ready to start.
loud rapid-fire clicking sound when attempting to start.
Noco is also making a clicking sound every 3/4 second. Noco says a clicking sound is normal as it is cycling from charging to not, but doesn't clarify if every 3/4 seconds is normal.

Voltage
Measure the battery voltage at 10.2V. Noco says a low battery is below 2V and you need manual mode to jump start.
Cant enter manual mode on Noco after holding over ride button. I assume because the battery is detected and therefor not needed.

Waiting
Wait 30 seconds and even 10 minutes with the Noco connected and attempt again but same loud rapid-fire clicking sound

CAA shows up
He starts with the old school standard jump starting box. Every other time as soon as these are connected the car starts the first try but this time it doesn't.
He then gets jumper cables and connects those to the battery and his truck plus the his booster pack and it starts right away.

Why and whats next?
Why doesn't the GB40 start a 2.4 liter engine? They battery voltage wasn't low enough to allow for manual override. why did it take a battery box plus the CAA truck to start the car?

I am willing to buy something else but I want to be confident that it will work. Do I get a GB150 that can start a 9 liter engine instead of just a 6 liter when Im driving a 2.4 liter?
69 replies
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
16172 posts
4985 upvotes
London
RandomCDN wrote: ..

I am willing to buy something else but I want to be confident that it will work. Do I get a GB150 that can start a 9 liter engine instead of just a 6 liter when Im driving a 2.4 liter?
Was this a regular CAA service truck or the CAA battery service truck?
Call the CAA battery service, they can test your car battery and charging system.
They can also replace your battery on the spot if it tests bad.
https://www.atlantic.caa.ca/automotive/battery.html
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16019 posts
17274 upvotes
Oakville
RandomCDN wrote: I have tried to use the GB40 4 different times and it fails every time. Its advertised as being able to start up to a 6 liter gas engine and the Kia has a 2.4

Yes I know we fail for letting our battery die this many times but keep in mind this is over a 6 year period and we have replaced the battery once during that time

The last example was at our house so I have more information.

Why it discharged
Key left in the ignition likely in accessory position, When starting car makes very loud rapid-fire clicking sound and does not start. clicking lasts as long as you hold the key to start position. its 10 degrees in the garage.

GB40
Connected the GB40 with red to red and black to black and turned on power.
the red, yellow, green lights start to "chase" and the boost light turns on indicating the battery is detected and ready to start.
loud rapid-fire clicking sound when attempting to start.
Noco is also making a clicking sound every 3/4 second. Noco says a clicking sound is normal as it is cycling from charging to not, but doesn't clarify if every 3/4 seconds is normal.

Voltage
Measure the battery voltage at 10.2V. Noco says a low battery is below 2V and you need manual mode to jump start.
Cant enter manual mode on Noco after holding over ride button. I assume because the battery is detected and therefor not needed.

Waiting
Wait 30 seconds and even 10 minutes with the Noco connected and attempt again but same loud rapid-fire clicking sound

CAA shows up
He starts with the old school standard jump starting box. Every other time as soon as these are connected the car starts the first try but this time it doesn't.
He then gets jumper cables and connects those to the battery and his truck plus the his booster pack and it starts right away.

Why and whats next?
Why doesn't the GB40 start a 2.4 liter engine? They battery voltage wasn't low enough to allow for manual override. why did it take a battery box plus the CAA truck to start the car?

I am willing to buy something else but I want to be confident that it will work. Do I get a GB150 that can start a 9 liter engine instead of just a 6 liter when Im driving a 2.4 liter?
Your battery is so dead that it's sucking up most of the charge from the chargers/boosters. The truck has enough consistent amperage to overcome the dead battery.
Just get a new battery and keep it maintained.

I would get the noco will start your car if you first disconnect the battery.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Oct 5, 2008
13828 posts
7961 upvotes
Toronto
i had one of these CT booster packs years ago (fully charged) and it wouldn't even boost my Mazda Protege with a 2.0 litre 4.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2015
1286 posts
1544 upvotes
Barrie, ON
Garbage. I don't know how anyone expects that little thing to boost anything.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
1037 posts
97 upvotes
Halifax
BeaverLiquor wrote: Even though Noco overstates their specs, you probably got a defective unit.
I wonder what the voltage should be when the Noco is connected
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
1037 posts
97 upvotes
Halifax
l69norm wrote: Was this a regular CAA service truck or the CAA battery service truck?
Call the CAA battery service, they can test your car battery and charging system.
They can also replace your battery on the spot if it tests bad.
https://www.atlantic.caa.ca/automotive/battery.html
I'm way down in Yarmouth so no battery service truck from CCA down here.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 14, 2010
1037 posts
97 upvotes
Halifax
engineered wrote: I would get the noco will start your car if you first disconnect the battery.
Silly question, but if I disconnected the battery and could start the car. would I then be able to connect the battery again and go?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16019 posts
17274 upvotes
Oakville
RandomCDN wrote: Silly question, but if I disconnected the battery and could start the car. would I then be able to connect the battery again and go?
Not a silly question. The answer is yes. Just watch for sparks. Wear gloves and keep your hand away from the metal connectors. You should disconnect the negative (black) cable, and keep it away from metal. You could rest it on a rag or something.
Last edited by engineered on Jan 21st, 2021 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2004
6359 posts
4976 upvotes
This is my goto if any of my friends need a boost. I keep it top up every month, especially winter months.

I don't trust those tiny Lithium-ion units.

And OP, get your battery tested at nearest CT. Check for abnormal bulges. Could be damaged by low charge under low temp and battery froze.
Last edited by Xtrema on Jan 21st, 2021 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16019 posts
17274 upvotes
Oakville
RandomCDN wrote: I wonder what the voltage should be when the Noco is connected
It should be at least 14V, but it has to have the CCA to start with a dead battery draining it. Your battery is probably around 600CCA. If the battery is now down to 50CCA, then 250CCA is not enough to start.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jun 12, 2007
16172 posts
4985 upvotes
London
RandomCDN wrote: Silly question, but if I disconnected the battery and could start the car. would I then be able to connect the battery again and go?
I would avoid this. If you screw up and run the engine with only the alternator connected (i.e. no battery or Noco), it could cause a big voltage spike and do mucho $$$$ damage on some cars.

If you screw up, you could probably buy 10 brand new batteries for cheaper.
Last edited by l69norm on Jan 21st, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Feb 11, 2007
16019 posts
17274 upvotes
Oakville
l69norm wrote: I would avoid this. If you screw up and run the engine with only the alternator connected (i.e. no battery or Noco), it wall cause a big voltage spike and do mucho $$$$ damage on some cars.

If you screw up, you could probably buy 10 brand new batteries for cheaper.
I had not issues doing this on my BWM, but I suppose that's possible. Doing that might be a last resource if you're stuck and really need the boost to get going.
Ideally you should connect the jumper pack in place of the battery, start the car, then reconnect battery, then disconnect jumper. That way you always have a load connected.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 11, 2006
1813 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
You're parked in a garage. Buy a battery tender. Then you won't need the jump starter at all.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 1, 2005
5712 posts
3300 upvotes
Toronto
engineered wrote: Not a silly question. The answer is yes. Just watch for sparks. Wear gloves and keep your hand away from the metal connectors. You should disconnect the negative (red) cable, and keep it away from metal. You could rest it on a rag or something.
Isn't the negative the black cable?
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A

Top