[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3289 posts
996 upvotes
Belle River

Noctua NF-A12 alternatives - regular and slim

I watched this video about running a 3080 in the NR200P ITX case:

It recommends de-shrouding the GPU, removing the plastic shroud and fans, and instead letting the nearby bottom case fans blow directly onto the GPU heatsink to cool it. They claim it cools better than the fans the GPU came with, and has the added benefit of also bringing in some additional cooling to the case overall.

Seems pretty cool, but the fans they recommend are the very expensive and seemingly hard to find in Canada Noctua NF-A12. They also mentioned 2 cheaper alternatives, the Noctua NF-P12 Redux, and the Arctic P12.
https://www.amazon.ca/redux-1700-high-P ... B07CG2PGY6
https://www.amazon.ca/Arctic-ACFAN00137 ... B07HC782D5

With the tight space in that case, if you don't deshroud the 3080 you can probably only fit 15mm fans in the bottom such as the 15mm version of the Noctua NF-A12 (NF-A12x15). I may go that route, not sure.

I'd appreciate any suggestions in either direction. Tonnes of info like this out there but I like to get RFD opinions.
24 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2913 posts
1565 upvotes
London
is the card overheating and throttling or crashing? if not i don't see the point in doing this why spend money modding a card and probably voiding your warranty
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4106 posts
1246 upvotes
Try the Thermaltake Toughfan12... its basically a NF-A12 clone. A 2pack is ~$54 right now on amazon. whereas NF-A12 are $30+ each if you can find them right now.

I have a pair of the Toughfan12 as my exhaust in my NR200. I find them to have less " hum" than the Arctic P12s, the P12s have a hum at around 1000-1200rpm range.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15902 posts
7476 upvotes
Ottawa
Interesting about the deshroud. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort as mentioned.....did he compare temps vs noise level? I would consider it if I could get the noise down and also get some additional thermal performance.

The Noctua fans come back in stock occasionally on the amazon store. I've picked up a few over the last few months for my build. the A12x25 are on my AIO. They are really great fans at a really crazy price, but I'm the type of guy who spares no expense to reduce noise.

I also picked up the Artic P12 and P14 fans and they work practically as well for a fraction of the cost (no difference in temps that I can notice), but I agree that in the mid-RPM range, there is a bit of a motor noise sometimes (can't be absolutely sure, but the sound quality of the Noctuas does seem better at all RPM ranges)
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3289 posts
996 upvotes
Belle River
aaron158 wrote: is the card overheating and throttling or crashing? if not i don't see the point in doing this why spend money modding a card and probably voiding your warranty
I haven't built using the case yet. It's less about the card's temps and more about the overall case temps and limited fan selection as only slim fans would fit. Either way I will want bottom intake fans. With the shroud removed it opens up possibility of putting any regular sized fans in there, which is better cooling for the case and cheaper. Normally I wouldn't get into any kinda hardware mods, but it seems like removing the shroud is simply unscrewing and unplugging it and you could simply put it back on if you ever needed warranty service.
warpdrive wrote: Interesting about the deshroud. I'm not sure if it's worth the effort as mentioned.....did he compare temps vs noise level? I would consider it if I could get the noise down and also get some additional thermal performance.

The Noctua fans come back in stock occasionally on the amazon store. I've picked up a few over the last few months for my build. the A12x25 are on my AIO. They are really great fans at a really crazy price, but I'm the type of guy who spares no expense to reduce noise.

I also picked up the Artic P12 and P14 fans and they work practically as well for a fraction of the cost (no difference in temps that I can notice), but I agree that in the mid-RPM range, there is a bit of a motor noise sometimes (can't be absolutely sure, but the sound quality of the Noctuas does seem better at all RPM ranges)
I forget what he said about noise, but with those Noctua's I would imagine they make less noise than the stock GPU fans. The way my gaming PC is now it's so loud I couldn't tell you if the GPU is making a lot of noise or not, I'd have to go over to it and stop some fans with my finger to figure that out.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4372 posts
3930 upvotes
Richmond Hill
It also depends on which 3080 you have. Regular sized fans would fit with the EVGA XC3.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3289 posts
996 upvotes
Belle River
rugerty100 wrote: It also depends on which 3080 you have. Regular sized fans would fit with the EVGA XC3.
I have the same MSI Ventus as in the video.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3289 posts
996 upvotes
Belle River
Do any of these higher end fans come in (A)RGB versions as well? Seems like the best fans do not, which makes sense.
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
15902 posts
7476 upvotes
Ottawa
hystavito wrote: Do any of these higher end fans come in (A)RGB versions as well? Seems like the best fans do not, which makes sense.
I noticed the P12 comes in ARGB version. https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX00117111
This is RedFlagDeals, not RedFlagCheapskates. Rich or poor, we all want our deals so we can buy even more stuff we may or may not need.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2017
1618 posts
960 upvotes
Do you need to do this?

Keep an eye out on memory temps, as the GPU fans tied to the GPU's temp and not the memory.

I keep a reference 6800XT in a ridiculously undersized no airflow case.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3289 posts
996 upvotes
Belle River
PerformingAzura wrote: Do you need to do this?

Keep an eye out on memory temps, as the GPU fans tied to the GPU's temp and not the memory.

I keep a reference 6800XT in a ridiculously undersized no airflow case.
I could assemble without any bottom intake fans and see what happens, but I'm trying to figure this all out in advance so that if it turns out I do need them, I know ahead what the options are and what it might cost, etc. This way I can simply decide nah not worth the potential cost or hassle and return the case. I need to find some more slim fan options in case the system temps are kinda high and decide I want intakes without de-shrouding the GPU.

When I have figured out all my options then I will test with the basic setup and see what happens, though ultimately I think I will end up with some kinda bottom intakes, slim or de-shroud method, cuz it will bring a lot more outside air in.

Not sure what you mean about memory though. The GPU memory?
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12429 posts
7021 upvotes
Brampton
I used the P12 Redux recently and they worked great in my application which was a push Pull set up for an H60 AIO.

From what I understand the P12 vs the A12 is pressure vs Airflow. In this application wouldn't the P12's pressure optimized Blades be better than the A12 due to the restrictions here?
Feb 23, 2004
810 posts
110 upvotes
Richmond
tebore wrote: From what I understand the P12 vs the A12 is pressure vs Airflow. In this application wouldn't the P12's pressure optimized Blades be better than the A12 due to the restrictions here?
For the current lineup, F12 is pressure optimized, S12 is free-air / noise optimized, A12 is jack of all.

P12 is an older design replaced by the A12 except for the low cost redux line.

I currently own A12, S12 and P12 fans. A12 have worked the best for me.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
12198 posts
2798 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: is the card overheating and throttling or crashing? if not i don't see the point in doing this why spend money modding a card and probably voiding your warranty
Basically this. There's really no point in doing this unless you know that throttling is an issue.

Ah yes, the wonderful world of SFF where unnecessary spending is a necessity.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3289 posts
996 upvotes
Belle River
joeyjoejoe wrote: Basically this. There's really no point in doing this unless you know that throttling is an issue.

Ah yes, the wonderful world of SFF where unnecessary spending is a necessity.
I swore I was done with ITX stuff but then people mentioned the NR200P, I saw how all the panels come off which eliminates a lot of my frustration and rage with previous builds, and the deal popped up on RFD, so here I go again. When I got the 3080 I had to pull the ITX system and put it into an mATX case that I had. I haven't started this new build yet, I can still return it and end this now :).
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4106 posts
1246 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I swore I was done with ITX stuff but then people mentioned the NR200P, I saw how all the panels come off which eliminates a lot of my frustration and rage with previous builds, and the deal popped up on RFD, so here I go again. When I got the 3080 I had to pull the ITX system and put it into an mATX case that I had. I haven't started this new build yet, I can still return it and end this now :).
You're so close!! You'll love the NR200P . If you want to keep the stock look of the video card, just look out for some 15mm thick noctuas. What CPU cooler did you decide on? Hopefully you got your SFX PSU ready too!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3289 posts
996 upvotes
Belle River
coilz wrote: You're so close!! You'll love the NR200P . If you want to keep the stock look of the video card, just look out for some 15mm thick noctuas. What CPU cooler did you decide on? Hopefully you got your SFX PSU ready too!
I am looking at the different 15mm options, but as others pointed out I will start with no bottom intake fans and see how it goes. I am going to stick with the stock AMD cooler for now.

For PSU I saw that people can fit an ATX size in there so I'm going to try that, at first just zip tied and then maybe buy one of those 3D printed brackets from etsy. Hopefully it fits because I already have a good 850W that I got when I was forced to move my ITX gaming stuff into an mATX case. I do have a Corsair SF600 but people say that might not handle a 3800x+3080 under heavy load / spikes.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4106 posts
1246 upvotes
hystavito wrote: I am looking at the different 15mm options, but as others pointed out I will start with no bottom intake fans and see how it goes. I am going to stick with the stock AMD cooler for now.

For PSU I saw that people can fit an ATX size in there so I'm going to try that, at first just zip tied and then maybe buy one of those 3D printed brackets from etsy. Hopefully it fits because I already have a good 850W that I got when I was forced to move my ITX gaming stuff into an mATX case. I do have a Corsair SF600 but people say that might not handle a 3800x+3080 under heavy load / spikes.
I'd say might as well do it right :) You already bit the bullet and got yourself a 3080. Why cheap out another $200ish for a 750W+ SFX power supply :) SFX will make your life much much easier in the NR200. Corsair SF750 is $205 at memoryexpress right now that comes with individually sleeved cables. Or you can get the 850W Coolermaster SFX powersupply, just make sure its the newer version that has the constantly running fan, older version's fan has silent/off mode but its fan curve sucks, more annoying than noisy when it turns off and on. It's one of those in for a penny, in for a pound situation!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2008
3289 posts
996 upvotes
Belle River
coilz wrote: I'd say might as well do it right :) You already bit the bullet and got yourself a 3080. Why cheap out another $200ish for a 750W+ SFX power supply :) SFX will make your life much much easier in the NR200. Corsair SF750 is $205 at memoryexpress right now that comes with individually sleeved cables. Or you can get the 850W Coolermaster SFX powersupply, just make sure its the newer version that has the constantly running fan, older version's fan has silent/off mode but its fan curve sucks, more annoying than noisy when it turns off and on. It's one of those in for a penny, in for a pound situation!
Because I already spent $200 not too long ago on the PSU to run the 3080 in the mATX case when it wouldn't fit in the ITX case :). As I keep changing cases I'm ending up with wasted money on unused parts, the smart thing to do would be to stop now and leave it all as it is inside the mATX case, the end. But RFD keeps pulling me back in, to the ITX world :).

Anyway I will try to fit the ATX PSU in the NR200P, other ones definitely fit and from what I researched the size of mine is just at the max, cable bend will be the decider though. Besides not spend more money, it's also probably a significantly better PSU than all these SFF options anyway. I have to at least try before buying another PSU.