• Nov 3rd, 2020 10:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1387 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto

Noise of new town house units ABOVE

Hi there, recently moved into a preconstruction town house (Eaton park lane for those that care) and there seems to be an exorbitant amount of noise transfer from the top units. They are still building and its funny how they put double drywall, concrete block on the side(presumably they realize the noise pdoblem, but only 2 dry wall layer, subfloor on the top.

What can I do about this? I just moved in 60days ago, just past 30 day tarion. I don't seem to be the only unit with this issue from my understanding. I'm a fairly reasonable person but I feel if I can hear the person upstairs phones morning alarm vibration (silent mode) it seems pretty mediocre.
Last edited by keljai on Aug 12th, 2019 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member since 2006

Koodo- $40/8gb
Curren phone: Samsung S9
25 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2682 posts
476 upvotes
that's pretty much how all these new townhouses are built, just separated by drywalls
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12764 posts
9499 upvotes
GTA, ON
Sorry but I don't think there is anything you can do. Sorry for the buyers remorse. Disappointed But Relieved Face

This is just how it is when you have neighbours above and below. Best to only buy townhomes with neighbours on the side, preferabally an end unit or semi-attached towns (also called linked-semis). Construction with casement blocks between units to deafen the sound.
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 22, 2006
1387 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry, to clarify it is the units ABOVE. The side unit is perfectly sound proofed
Member since 2006

Koodo- $40/8gb
Curren phone: Samsung S9
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
9077 posts
10433 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
Start saving for a detached.

Between noise and smells from shared walls you might as well give your neighbours the key to the front door.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1240 posts
1747 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Tarion is not going to do anything about it, neither will the builder, you can obviously talk to the builder to see if they would do anything but....
At this point of time your best solution would be to pony up some cash and soundproof the ceiling, you will hate living there is you hear your neighbour all the time, god forbid your neighbour has a dog, a child or has a hearing problem and listens to tv very loud. It will cost you a bit, be messy, but at least you will be able to enjoy the house you purchased.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Dec 7, 2018
115 posts
48 upvotes
As someone who was (and to some extent financially is) in custom home construction, Tarion is useless.
Fortune favours the bold...
Jan 12, 2007
358 posts
200 upvotes
Review your sales agreement with a lawyer before warranty expires and push the builder (in writing). Document EVERYTHING.
If you get stuck with Tarion you can always go the small claims route however this really depends on what's in the sales agreement.
Unfortunately this won't be easy but don't give up quickly ...
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10027 posts
9745 upvotes
Markham
hire a contractor to rip open your ceiling and sound proof it.

The builder will do nothing, this is what happens when you buy these homes with neighbours.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
13834 posts
8525 upvotes
Markham
Trouble = SHARED anything walls, floor/ceiling, driveways = condos,apartments, townhouses.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10386 posts
5603 upvotes
Paris
TheKiwiCornelius wrote: As someone who was (and to some extent financially is) in custom home construction, Tarion is useless.
What? You mean a committee of builders who rule on when they themselves do something wrong isnt 100% impartial?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
4067 posts
1983 upvotes
Toronto
keljai wrote: Sorry, to clarify it is the units ABOVE. The side unit is perfectly sound proofed
Why are there units above you if it's a townhouse? Or do you mean it's a stacked townhouse?

If stacked I assume it's also a condo, which if true just be careful you check with management before doing any soundproofing renos.
Dec 15, 2015
692 posts
505 upvotes
Toronto
keljai wrote: Hi there, recently moved into a preconstruction town house (Eaton park lane for those that care) and there seems to be an exorbitant amount of noise transfer from the top units. They are still building and its funny how they put double drywall, concrete block on the side(presumably they realize the noise pdoblem, but only 2 dry wall layer, subfloor on the top.

What can I do about this? I just moved in 60days ago, just past 30 day tarion. I don't seem to be the only unit with this issue from my understanding. I'm a fairly reasonable person but I feel if I can hear the person upstairs phones morning alarm vibration (silent mode) it seems pretty mediocre.
Ask the builder to see the report that your suite was tested and meets the OBC requirement of STC 50. Someone would have had to have come through and done STC or ASTC testing on the suites. If they push back, contact your lawyer who closed and ask them. Its honestly likely built fine, but it would be your first step.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13362 posts
2703 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Get used to it. Anything SHARED with cheap construction ur not gonna get peace and mind. Sounds travels in shared units. Even if there's no construction you cud hear noise right above or beside you... but the actual location of noise could be 3-4 plus floors away. It's even worse in asia. Units are sold in empty concrete blocks and you have to hire renovation crews to change everything around. Sound of a phone ringing?? Haha.. you wish. More like drilling from evenings till 3-4am next morning... Every... single... day. The higher the floors, the more units, the more peeps moving in and out and more renovation crews. Look, nothing is peace of mind unless it's a separate detached unit. And even then... you may get shitty neighbors to deal with.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
12764 posts
9499 upvotes
GTA, ON
Install carpet in your neighbour's place and yours, that should deafen the sound. :/
Tis banana is IRIE

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Nov 25, 2009
533 posts
310 upvotes
Vancouver
keljai wrote: Hi there, recently moved into a preconstruction town house (Eaton park lane for those that care) and there seems to be an exorbitant amount of noise transfer from the top units. They are still building and its funny how they put double drywall, concrete block on the side(presumably they realize the noise pdoblem, but only 2 dry wall layer, subfloor on the top.

OP do you have a cross section/comprehensive list of materials that they put between the floors? How bad is the sound?
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
14810 posts
11154 upvotes
Tarrana
Weak building code + cheap builder doing bare minimu and below + no accountability (tarion) = your issue.

In this day and age new construction should not have soundproofing issues. Builders are just cheap and unscrupulous and thry know thry can get away with it because tarion is utterly useless. It’s like someone committing a crime on against you and the cops, judge, lawyers are all related to that person.

Sounds like a stacked townhouse. Would never buy one of those and that’s a major reason why. Traditional towns are bad enough. Stacked towns are worse.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
17099 posts
14493 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
As homeowners ...

Most people start out in life sharing their living space

And there’s no doubt about it ... IT SUCKS

Be it an apartment, condo, duplex, townhouse, or semi ... if you have common shared spaces ... walls, ceilings, driveways or yards

It’s AWFUL

Best advice, use this experience as motivation to save your money up as quickly as possible ... build equity ... and move on to a detached single family dwelling
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2007
2682 posts
476 upvotes
keljai wrote: Sorry, to clarify it is the units ABOVE. The side unit is perfectly sound proofed
consider yourself lucky no side unit noise! Like others have say, nothing builder will do about it.

The only way to get quiet is to buy a detached, even then you can still hear neighbors through your windows. I have lived through all the types of houses, row houses, townhouses, semi and detached. Will never again live in non-detached!
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1555 posts
1699 upvotes
Sucks now a days. I feel bad for OP because he never realized this, and honestly no one would think twice about this. Unfortunately its just the way crappy things are done now a days.