Tags:
[OP]
Oct 15, 2013
235 posts
126 upvotes
Quebec, Qc

Nokian studless (!) Hakka 9 or Hakka r3

Hi everyone,

I bought my new car yesterday (Acura RDX 2020) and bought winter tires thru the dealer as well.

They recommended Nokian Hakka 9 (studless, apparently they exists even if they’re not mentioned on Nokian website) over the Nokian R3 (studless and can’t be studded).

I kinda have buyer’s remorse for listening to their advice and go with studless Hakka 9. I don’t understand how a tire designed to be studded can perform better, while being studless, than a tire specifically designed to be studless.

I’d like to have some advice. Does anyone have better knowledge than me or own either tires?

Thanks!
7 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13781 posts
8825 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
both good tires, don't worry and be happy.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11160 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Read #1 & #2

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/article ... mall-suvs/
kebel87 wrote: Hi everyone,

I bought my new car yesterday (Acura RDX 2020) and bought winter tires thru the dealer as well.

They recommended Nokian Hakka 9 (studless, apparently they exists even if they’re not mentioned on Nokian website) over the Nokian R3 (studless and can’t be studded).

I kinda have buyer’s remorse for listening to their advice and go with studless Hakka 9. I don’t understand how a tire designed to be studded can perform better, while being studless, than a tire specifically designed to be studless.

I’d like to have some advice. Does anyone have better knowledge than me or own either tires?

Thanks!
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
11160 posts
2920 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Regardless both great tires. I doubt most people would even be able to notice a difference between most high end winter tires simply because they are that close. I have the R3's on my car coming from Continental Si tires and I only notice minor improvements with turning grip and taking off from a stop but the differences are minor but I also have more experience then the average person so that is likely why.
kebel87 wrote: Thanks, that was a great read. It seems like the R3 would be better for me than studless 9.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4517 posts
2139 upvotes
Toronto
To add to the confusion, Nokian now makes the Hakka R3 SUV.
Not sure if they come in your size or not.
I bought some and like them.
Following the advice of the Health Experts - I will consider voting for Dougie @ 12:01 AM, five days after the next provincial election.
[OP]
Oct 15, 2013
235 posts
126 upvotes
Quebec, Qc
Just a follow up for anyone who would have the same question.

I ended up with the Nokian Hakka 9 studless and they are unbelievable. I never tried the R3, but I wouldn’t trade for them. We’ve had deep snow and icy roads and it felt like summer. Of course I exercised caution nonetheless.
Deal Guru
Mar 6, 2003
14807 posts
6070 upvotes
Ottawa
Good to know it worked out. I really like my R3's I just got.
RFD is not just for cheapskates. Those who want their expensive toys don't want to pay full price either.