Shopping Discussion

Nominations for buggiest retail website?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 19th, 2019 9:13 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9243 posts
3580 upvotes

Nominations for buggiest retail website?

You know the ones: You're just trying to place an order or something but the site is so buggy that it devolves into a multi-day exchange with the digital team with you taking screenshots and writing voluminously on how the site simply doesn't work as expected or promised.

Or do you even get into it with them if a site is that bad?

My nominees are NHLshop.ca, GoVype.ca and the entire PC Optimum program. Hall of fame: Shop.ca.
17 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13410 posts
2279 upvotes
City of Vancouver
There is something wrong with the adidas.ca website's paypal checkout system
Last edited by Becks on Dec 18th, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Adversity is a growth opportunity. Change happens at the periphery.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13000 upvotes
+1 Loblaws. I don't know how anyone is a PC Insider because their website for pickup ordering is PAINFUL.

Home Depot isn't any better.

Walmart sucks too.

Actually you know what... anything that https://stocktrack.ca covers kinda sucks.
<3 @seafish
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2670 posts
1336 upvotes
B.C.
Canadian tire for me tops it all.

I don't know what is with their search engine but it seems to make every set of keywords OR instead of AND.

I searched for something - and I can't remember the exact term but it should have resulted in about a dozen results - and it gave me 3000 and none of them were relevant.

I can't say I'm overly annoyed with the issue since I've just stopped checking CT for anything since even if the item is on sale it'll be the same price as elsewhere.

Walmart is annoying for all of the 3rd party merchants that you can't easily filter out. I don't want to buy something from Totally@wesomeluckyhappyshop6969 from China. If I did I'd turn to Amazon or Ebay! Although I don't spend much time on their website and just use the app to check prices by scanning barcodes.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9243 posts
3580 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: +1 Loblaws. I don't know how anyone is a PC Insider because their website for pickup ordering is PAINFUL.

Home Depot isn't any better.

Walmart sucks too.

Actually you know what... anything that https://stocktrack.ca covers kinda sucks.
<3 @seafish
My complaint against Home Depot is that they show too many unavailable things in search results. If it's not available online or within a few hours' drive, why are you even taunting me?

Walmart.ca is hugely buggy but I have kept using them because of the plethora of discount codes and the general trend that significant errors go in the customer's favour. They have only a fraction of their inventory online now though so it's hard to put together a meaningful order. As soon as my codes run out I will leave them alone. I've actually turned to LondonDrugs.com for the kinds of things I'd order at Walmart, which amuses me because I'm in Ontario.

I think Loblaws is the same because there are a lot of discount codes out there and lucrative system errors around pickup. People will tolerate a lot for $10-20.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
9243 posts
3580 upvotes
lennyandcarl wrote: Canadian tire for me tops it all.

I don't know what is with their search engine but it seems to make every set of keywords OR instead of AND.

I searched for something - and I can't remember the exact term but it should have resulted in about a dozen results - and it gave me 3000 and none of them were relevant.

I can't say I'm overly annoyed with the issue since I've just stopped checking CT for anything since even if the item is on sale it'll be the same price as elsewhere.
I know what you are saying. The only way to use that site is browse and filter and they seem to have gotten rid of filter by brand name so it takes forever to shop.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13649 posts
7789 upvotes
Toronto
CT and Sportchek
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2002
2915 posts
324 upvotes
Nations Capital
Home Depot followed by Canadian Tire.

Home Depot doesn't load half the time. Re-loading doesn't work, Clearing cookies works sometimes. Turning off location seems help it immensely.
Now Heat ENABLED :)
-----------
Who Are You? - What Do You Want? - Why Are You Here? - Where Are You Going?
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16644 posts
6897 upvotes
Honestly, none of the websites I use I would classify as buggy. They all seem to work perfectly fine in my browser. Sure during massive sale events they are slow / lagged, and sometimes items sell out before I can check out but that's hardly buggy.

I suspect with some of the problems people have in regards to things like page loading it is more likely their computer.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2010
1615 posts
357 upvotes
Vancouver
None of them are buggy. It’s poor ux and ui that is the issue. Staples by far is the worst.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4344 posts
4395 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: Any of those online make-a-custom-photo-book services. Hours of work can go down the drain just like that.
Walmartphotocentre.ca

Wasted an hour this morning making up a photo layout with the quirky GUI and then tried to order it. Can't get past the checkout stage where it asks me to select a pickup location. I type my location by both postal code and city. There's at least 2 Walmarts near me with photo centres, but there's no response when I type my location - nothing at all. Won't let me proceed. Finally I discover that it isn't listing nearby locations unless I choose another city. I call customer support, and they tell me that many Walmart photo centres have broken their photo printing machines and took themselves off the pickup list, but there's no way to know that. They can only guess that all the Walmarts near me have broken their equipment.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9213 posts
4503 upvotes
Markham
Indigo online is buggy, you only have 30 minutes to cancel order after place an order.
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
11683 posts
8146 upvotes
GTA, ON
Canadian Tire & Wal-Mart
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10863 posts
2001 upvotes
Toronto
lecale wrote: You know the ones: You're just trying to place an order or something but the site is so buggy that it devolves into a multi-day exchange with the digital team with you taking screenshots and writing voluminously on how the site simply doesn't work as expected or promised.

Or do you even get into it with them if a site is that bad?

My nominees are NHLshop.ca, GoVype.ca and the entire PC Optimum program. Hall of fame: Shop.ca.

What is worse are all these big retailers allowing other businesses to sell on their sites