Automotive

Non Fault Car Write Off- Know Your Rights And Get More Money!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2020 1:10 pm
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12383 posts
6246 upvotes
Toronto
Mac1986 wrote: GREAT POST but if the accident is because of our fault and if its a write off, whats our option to get the best value for our car ?
assuming you have collision coverage, then all the rest is the same as outlined.

If you have no collision coverage, you don't get a cent and there's nothing you can do about it.
Aug 22, 2018
1 posts
Hello friends!

My car was hit by a car, no fault of my own and I don't have to pay the $300 deductible. I brought my vehicle to this ICBC accredited auto body shop and they told me that ICBC will only approve repairs up an until $3800. The auto body shop personnel informed me that most likely, the repairs will cost at least $3000. The personnel did inform me that that repair cost was very close to what ICBC will pay and might probably be a write off. He wanted me to speak to the ICBC estimator first. Not sure why he wanted me to do this but I think he was advising me there is another option rather than having my vehicle write off? Now I am wondering if I should just ask for a cash settlement? Does ICBC even offer cash settlement for me to repair my vehicle elsewhere? And if yes, how much do they usually offer? Review of previous posts dated 2006 suggest they might offer up to 75% of retail value as cash settlement?

Thanks,
funnybone25
Mar 23, 2015
124 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi Guys,

Need your advice
I have 2016 Civic EX
Had an accident with a truck on a highway, 100% not my fault
Appraiser got back to me and told me that its going to cost 10K to fix the car. He dosn't want to write it off.
Is there anything I can do to convince him/insurance to write off the car ?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1081 posts
348 upvotes
Dartmouth
iflash wrote: Hi Guys,

Need your advice
I have 2016 Civic EX
Had an accident with a truck on a highway, 100% not my fault
Appraiser got back to me and told me that its going to cost 10K to fix the car. He dosn't want to write it off.
Is there anything I can do to convince him/insurance to write off the car ?
Depending on KM and Conditon they would need to pay you 18-22 k plus tax for your 2016 Civic EX if they write it off.
They will need to pay 10k to fix it.

This is not meant to be sarcastic at all but based on this if YOU were the insurance company what would convince you to pay 20k vs 10k?
Mar 23, 2015
124 posts
18 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Toolatecrew wrote: Depending on KM and Conditon they would need to pay you 18-22 k plus tax for your 2016 Civic EX if they write it off.
They will need to pay 10k to fix it.

This is not meant to be sarcastic at all but based on this if YOU were the insurance company what would convince you to pay 20k vs 10k?
You forget that even if they write it off they still get money from selling it
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1081 posts
348 upvotes
Dartmouth
iflash wrote: You forget that even if they write it off they still get money from selling it
Point still stands . The salvage value is probably only maybe 2500- 3000. Meaning if they write it off they pay 20-3 or 17 k to total it bs 10 to fix it.

There is no reason to write off a car like that unless there is a safety issue
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3226 posts
608 upvotes
My car got hit and my insurance is telling me I don't got rental coverage. Is this possible?

Also car cost is $3500 to repair. I just want then to write off. How can. I request this?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1081 posts
348 upvotes
Dartmouth
EEE2 wrote: My car got hit and my insurance is telling me I don't got rental coverage. Is this possible?

Also car cost is $3500 to repair. I just want then to write off. How can. I request this?
Who is at fault?
Did you purchase loss of use coverage (which is what gives you a rental) when you bought your policy? I know I did not as we have 2 cars so if I get into an at fault accident we would simply use the other car until the damaged one gets repaired. So if you are at fault and you have no loss of use you are not entitled to a rental.

The car cost $3500 to repair. How much would you expect to get if the car is written off? If you expect to get 12 k then it’s unrealistic to expect it would be written off. If it’s 2k then they should be writing it off but you can contact the appraiser or adjuster and politely express your preference that they write it off. It may sway their decision if the cost is close between repair and total loss but ultimately it’s the insurance company decision.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
3226 posts
608 upvotes
Toolatecrew wrote: Who is at fault?
Did you purchase loss of use coverage (which is what gives you a rental) when you bought your policy? I know I did not as we have 2 cars so if I get into an at fault accident we would simply use the other car until the damaged one gets repaired. So if you are at fault and you have no loss of use you are not entitled to a rental.

The car cost $3500 to repair. How much would you expect to get if the car is written off? If you expect to get 12 k then it’s unrealistic to expect it would be written off. If it’s 2k then they should be writing it off but you can contact the appraiser or adjuster and politely express your preference that they write it off. It may sway their decision if the cost is close between repair and total loss but ultimately it’s the insurance company decision.
The other party was at fault. The car is worth $3.5k according to black book value.
Aug 23, 2018
1 posts
Hi all,
Looks like some people are still here and getting help, so please help my case too...

My car was write off, not my fault (AT ALL)
The insurance company suggested my some amount of money and saying 'not negotiable', even after I provided what researched in the market.
So I brought out tires to increase the value.. which are all weather, used for about 2 years, 20,000 km '
...and they said as those are over 1 year, so the company doesn't consider those tires valuable.
I asked them if I can take those tires, of course they said NO.

They already took the car, I don't have any idea what else I can do now, now it seems like I just need to sign the paper...

Thanks,
Sep 12, 2018
1 posts
I'm in the process right now of "total loss". My 2004 pick-up truck was stolen and recovered in 48hrs, with what I thought was minor damage, ignition, door lock, spongy brakes (brake line). The estimate from the insurance directed body shop was 3500, so according to the insurance company, it is a total loss, and offered 2500. Checking comparables (which is tough with an older vehicle) I'd be hard pressed to find a replacement vehicle in that price range.
When I inquired about settling and buying the vehicle back, I was told I'd have to buy it from one of the salvagers they use, and I'd need someone with a dealers license to purchase it for me, the insurer has nothing to do with it, and "they go fast".
The vehicle is not branded in anyway, and I haven't agreed to any settlement yet, nor signed anything over. Vehicle is still at body shop (with my belongings still in it).
The insurance company suggested I could drop the claim if I wanted to get the vehicle and have it repaired at my expense.......grrrr........and I forewent a rental truck as I have second vehicle....frustrating!!
Nov 23, 2016
71 posts
61 upvotes
My insurance company told me it isn’t possible to retain my salvage. Is this true? How do I get them to fess up and how do I get it unbranded? It was totaled because would cost them too much to fix, not because deemed unfit, although it requires frame repair. Thanks!
Nov 23, 2016
71 posts
61 upvotes
Does anyone know? Willing to pay for someones time! Or buy you a giftcard! Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2009
1081 posts
348 upvotes
Dartmouth
cohenkaplan wrote: My insurance company told me it isn’t possible to retain my salvage. Is this true? How do I get them to fess up and how do I get it unbranded? It was totaled because would cost them too much to fix, not because deemed unfit, although it requires frame repair. Thanks!
When the insurer pays out your total loss settlement you need to provide them your ownership papers and registration. They take ownership of the vehicle temporarily until the vehicle is sold at auction. The act of “retaining” salvage is really just the insurer selling the salvage back to you rather than sending it to auction. It’s often more convienient and gaurentees a certain $ return plus save auction fees . That said the insurance company OWNS the vehicle and can do what they want with it. It may be convention to allow the insured first chance at the salvage (assuming they will pay an acceptable price) but it’s not a legal right. The insurer owns that salvage and they can sell it to you, send it to auction or turn it into a planter. If they don’t give you the option to owner retain then you can go to auction and bid on it yourself . Some insurers allow rention others don’t.

Branding is dictated by provincial regulations. If it has frame damage then that frame damage needs to be repaired properly in order for the car to be safe on the road, the province to deem it safe to register and for the seller of the vehicle (the insurer) to be free of liability.

The brand will never be removed. Once the vehicle is repaired and inspect3d it can be register with a “rebuilt title” which will appear on the registration for as long as the vehicle exists.

Not sure what you mean by “fess up”?

You have 3 choices

1. If they will agree to it agree to a price to retain (deducted from your settlement amount) keep the car ,have it repaired and inspected then register it as a rebuilt vehicle.
2. If they will not agree to retain , buy the car at auction, have it repaired and inspected then register it as a rebuilt vehicle.
3. Take the total loss settlement and go buy another car.
Nov 23, 2016
71 posts
61 upvotes
Toolatecrew wrote: When the insurer pays out your total loss settlement you need to provide them your ownership papers and registration. They take ownership of the vehicle temporarily until the vehicle is sold at auction. The act of “retaining” salvage is really just the insurer selling the salvage back to you rather than sending it to auction. It’s often more convienient and gaurentees a certain $ return plus save auction fees . That said the insurance company OWNS the vehicle and can do what they want with it. It may be convention to allow the insured first chance at the salvage (assuming they will pay an acceptable price) but it’s not a legal right. The insurer owns that salvage and they can sell it to you, send it to auction or turn it into a planter. If they don’t give you the option to owner retain then you can go to auction and bid on it yourself . Some insurers allow rention others don’t.

Branding is dictated by provincial regulations. If it has frame damage then that frame damage needs to be repaired properly in order for the car to be safe on the road, the province to deem it safe to register and for the seller of the vehicle (the insurer) to be free of liability.

The brand will never be removed. Once the vehicle is repaired and inspect3d it can be register with a “rebuilt title” which will appear on the registration for as long as the vehicle exists.

Not sure what you mean by “fess up”?

You have 3 choices

1. If they will agree to it agree to a price to retain (deducted from your settlement amount) keep the car ,have it repaired and inspected then register it as a rebuilt vehicle.
2. If they will not agree to retain , buy the car at auction, have it repaired and inspected then register it as a rebuilt vehicle.
3. Take the total loss settlement and go buy another car.

Hey thank you for your reponse. I was told by a manager that they would calculate the costs and let me know. However my advisor said it isn’t possible. I am being given conflicting information.

Its a unique car and my bodyshop assumes someone internally may want to keep it at insurance. But the problem is 1. manager says possible 2. Advisor says it isn’t possible. And the advisor told me that they’re paying me above threshold already and “because it is branded salvage I dont quality for this option. “

Not sure what this means. They have also offered under market value, so I am trying to negotiate a higher price and then retain the car at salvage.

I think they’re just giving me a hard time. It has been 2-3 months to push this car to be repaired and to them to come up with a decision so far.