Food & Drink

non-staining plastic containers? do they exist?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 5th, 2006 12:43 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Mar 26, 2005
368 posts
1 upvote

non-staining plastic containers? do they exist?

I'm looking for some good non-staining plastic containers to bring my food to work. Can someone recommend one that doesn't stain?

Do these non-staining ones last a lifetime?
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1223 upvotes
Sauga
You can get small Pyrex glass containers. They're a little heavier than the plastic kind, but I find them better overall.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2467 posts
451 upvotes
Rubbermaid has exactly what you're looking for. It's a new series called Stainshield (www.stainshield.com). I put some chilli bamboo shoots in one and usually these things make my container go orange but not with the stainshield container. I only recently got these so I don't know how well they work over time. And I got them at a Costco in the US for 22 piece set for $20 US. I haven't seen them up here yet.
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
6 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
sg1138 wrote:I'm looking for some good non-staining plastic containers to bring my food to work. Can someone recommend one that doesn't stain?

Do these non-staining ones last a lifetime?
What constitutes a life-time?????

The non-staining plastic with eventually stain with continued use of acid based food, or items with high fat content.
The only real non staining container is glass. You must watch that the plastic containers are food safe, especially with the microwave. Some plastics leach chemicals off into the food. If you stick to the dollar store for work containers you will not feel so bad about tossing them when they look horrible. Or keep one or two just for tomato based products that will stain..
[OP]
Mar 26, 2005
368 posts
1 upvote
Rehan wrote:You can get small Pyrex glass containers. They're a little heavier than the plastic kind, but I find them better overall.
can u microwave with them? where do i buy these glass containers?
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1223 upvotes
Sauga
sg1138 wrote:can u microwave with them? where do i buy these glass containers?
Yes, they're safe for the microwave, freezer, dishwasher, and even a regular oven.

I've seen them at Loblaws and Linens 'n' Things. I'm sure other stores would carry them, too. This will give you an idea of what kinds are available: http://www.cayneshousewares.com/cgi-bin ... %20Storage
[OP]
Mar 26, 2005
368 posts
1 upvote
prices at caynes looks good maybe I should make the drive up there after the snow storm!!
Sep 17, 2005
220 posts
The Kitchen Stuff Plus outlet near Yorkdale also carries them. The prices are pretty good there.
Eschew obfuscation.
[OP]
Mar 26, 2005
368 posts
1 upvote
thanks everyone for all your help. it's greatly appreciated!
Banned
Nov 29, 2005
4853 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
damn!! and all those years I thought my mom purposely bought "Yellow" tupper ware containers, no wonder I couldnt find them in that colour at the stores.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
2467 posts
451 upvotes
Keep in mind the Pyrex containers will be VERY heavy compared to plastic ones. Plus their sizes are more on the cookware side than tote to work for lunch. The rubbermaid stainshield have a lifetime warranty on them. So even if the coating wears off or you manage to stain it they'll remiburse you the cost of getting a new one.
Deal Expert
Oct 20, 2001
18709 posts
1223 upvotes
Sauga
shutterbug wrote:Keep in mind the Pyrex containers will be VERY heavy compared to plastic ones. Plus their sizes are more on the cookware side than tote to work for lunch.
Pyrex containers come in a variety of sizes. A lunch-size Pyrex container (750 mL) weighs about 500 grams, which may be a lot compared to an empty plastic container...but when they're both filled with food, the difference is really not as noticeable.
Nov 24, 2005
697 posts
6 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
With glass containers you also have the benefit of them holding temperatures. Once your food and dish are cold they will stay cold for a longer period of time. Ditto for hot. I bought a 20 pc set of Pyrex at the Real Canadian Superstore for $20 (10 dishes 10 lids)