• Last Updated:
  • Jul 6th, 2020 10:37 am
Tags:
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2994 upvotes
the process of making telflon is toxic - everyone on the planet has the chemicals in their bloodstream right now. The produced surface on the pan has minimal to no chemical residual so that is safe until a bit below 500F. Around this range it emits chemicals that kills birds, and not sure what it does to humans.

I avoid teflon myself and use ceramic or iron.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4803 posts
2921 upvotes
Milton, ON.
If they were I would have been dead like 10 times by now.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14998 posts
11501 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
It's toxic, but the levels are low. It'll only harm animals with small lungs, ie birds, hamsters.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2379 posts
634 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: It's toxic, but the levels are low. It'll only harm animals with small lungs, ie birds, hamsters.
Yea but don’t u think over Long periods of time it would affect humans as well? Seems like everything is a carcinogenic these days
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14998 posts
11501 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Yes, it will.
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Yea but don’t u think over Long periods of time it would affect humans as well? Seems like everything is a carcinogenic these days

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9193 posts
5047 upvotes
Personally, I try to minimize exposure to toxins in my life as much as possible. I have thrown out almost all of my non-stick cookware and bakeware. I have substituted with either stainless steel or cast iron and use a cast iron frying pan for cooking eggs. There are some really scary stories out there about non-stick coatings that may be overblown but why chance it? The less you take in, the less your body needs to deal with. And investing in good cookware should last you a lifetime. JMHO.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
7123 posts
4409 upvotes
Between Countries
I have zero problem with using non-stick cookware (we use Heritage Rock and they're great). While we're on the subject, I also have zero issues with aluminum cookware (I have aluminum grill grates). Come to think of it, I also have no problems eating from styrofoam containers.

Yeah, yeah, everything causes cancer, has carcinogens, will kill you, and is so scary. But I'll choose to worry about many other higher risk higher probability things before I worry about this.
Last edited by DiceMan on Jul 4th, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4803 posts
2921 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Heavenleigh85 wrote: Yea but don’t u think over Long periods of time it would affect humans as well? Seems like everything is a carcinogenic these days
Only one way to avoid cancer. Stop living.
Regarding the pans, threat them properly and you will have nothing to worry about.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29038 posts
14586 upvotes
Heavenleigh85 wrote: I’ve been reading some info that seems to suggest some of them may not be safe at high temps?
They aren't. Past 450F they emit toxic fumes.
Technically speaking you shouldn't cook on them at higher than medium.
What brands do you use?
Vollrath if I'm feeling expensive, Choice if I'm not (although this gap closed with our dollar sucking)

DiceMan wrote: I also have zero issues with aluminum cookware (I have aluminum grill grates).
Yeah if someone does have an issue, they basically can't eat out any more because every restaurant that charges less than $50/plate uses aluminium.
Come to think of it, I also have no problems eating from styrofoam containers.
I always thought this was more an environmental thing than a health thing.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
9193 posts
5047 upvotes
While I don't use aluminum in my kitchen, I don't know if there is anything dangerous about aluminum.

At one time, I think people thought that aluminum may be correlated to a higher incidence of Alzheimer's. But I believe that was later debunked because the aluminum that was being referenced was actually being found to come from the glass microscopic slides that were being used to study Alzheimer's specimen samples and was contaminating the experimental results (and conclusions).

I still won't go back to aluminum but I don't believe this particular fear is warranted.