53 upvotes

[YMMV] Nonda ZUS smart vehicle health monitor mini car monitor

Deal Link:
Price:
Free(only
Savings:
Retailer:
Nonda
I just came upon this promotion being run by Nonda. Thought it is worth sharing and the FAQ's mention that there is no subscription or hidden costs post the purchase. The device is free however the shipping needs to be paid( was ~8USD for me)
Images
  • upload.jpg
13 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1950 posts
1548 upvotes
Excerpts from the privacy policy.
Not saying this is a "bad deal" but know what you're giving away in exchange for this "free" device.
Social media. You may use social networks or other online services to use our Services. When you do so, we may collect certain personal information made available through your social network account. By associating a social network account with our Services, you agree that we may access and retain that information in accordance with the policies of the social network or other online service and this Privacy Notice. For example, we may be able to access account or profile information that you have provided to the social network or information about your interactions with the social network (such as content viewed by you, content liked by you and information about the advertisements you have been shown or may have clicked on, etc.). You control the personal information you allow us to have access to through the privacy settings on the applicable social media site and the permissions you give us when you grant us access to your personal information retained by the respective social media site about you.
Information through customer service. We may collect the personal information you actively provide to our service personnel if you contact our customer support hotline through our Website and/or nonda App.
Email. We may collect information regarding the effectiveness of our email and other communications with you. For example, we may know if you follow a link in an email we send to you.
Vehicle Information. Using the vehicle identification number (VIN) and other vehicle information you provide to us, we may collect non-personal information about your vehicle from publicly available sources such as National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the vehicle’s manufacturer, and third party vehicle history reporting services.
Information about a third party. If you give us personal information about someone else, you must do so only with their explicit and prior consent. You have to inform them how we collect, use, disclose, and retain their personal information according to our Privacy Notice.
Further processing of information

We collect, and store with your account, detailed location information about your nonda Device(s) as collected and sent via other users’ mobile devices with an installed and activated nonda App; these users will not have access to such information. Likewise, we collect location information about other users’ nonda Device(s) tracked and transmitted to us by the nonda App on your mobile device, when the nonda App is activated on your mobile device.
We may disclose your personal information to the following parties and for the following purposes:

Corporate affiliates. We may disclose information to our corporate affiliates for purposes such as providing joint content and services (like registration, transactions, and customer support), performing marketing and helping detect and prevent potentially fraudulent and illegal acts, violations of our Terms of Service, and data security breaches. We may also participate in joint ventures with others and we may disclose information as part of that joint venture.
Partner sites. We may disclose the information we collect to Partner Sites (as defined below) and the owners of those sites. For example, we may share information for the purpose of determining or verifying our economic rights and obligations.
Service providers. We may share your personal information (including your location information and your nonda Devices’ location information) with our third party service providers or affiliates, as authorized by us to collect, process and use your personal information as data processors on our behalf, such as, for instance, cloud based and hosting services, technical service providers, mail carriers, communication agencies and customer support service providers; these parties may be located in countries outside of your jurisdiction, including but not limited to the USA. An updated list of the parties engaged by us for the processing of your personal information may be requested from us at any time. Other than as indicated above, we will not share your personal information with any third parties, unless compelled by law to do so or if you have given your prior consent.
Business transfer/change of ownership. We may disclose information we have collected from you in connection with the sale or merger of our business or the transfer of assets. If we were to merge with or be acquired by another company, we may share information with them in accordance with our privacy standards. Should such an event occur, we will require that the new combined entity follow this Privacy Notice with respect to your personal information.
Law enforcement, legal proceedings, and as authorized by law. We may use and disclose the information we collect to law enforcement or governmental agencies, or authorized third-parties, in response to a verified request relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability. We may disclose your personal information to comply with our legal requirements, enforce our Terms of Service, or protect anyone’s rights, property or safety.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2007
2067 posts
1261 upvotes
Markham
I've participate similar program from Monday and never got my device.
-------
Thank you
[OP]
Jun 15, 2019
43 posts
53 upvotes
aviator_13 wrote: Excerpts from the privacy policy.
Not saying this is a "bad deal" but know what you're giving away in exchange for this "free" device.
I might be mistaken here but this is what the FAQ right below the product stated
Images
  • upload.jpg
Nov 12, 2019
191 posts
486 upvotes
pratsaw wrote: I might be mistaken here but this is what the FAQ right below the product stated
That only says they want your consent to collect engine and trip info, there is no mention of how/when they collect any other data so I think @aviator_13's point is still valid. Besides, no company gives away 1 million devices without getting something in return.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1950 posts
1548 upvotes
pratsaw wrote: I might be mistaken here but this is what the FAQ right below the product stated
You're not mistaken - this FAQ is full of great marketing-speak but know that companies can be compliant with everything referenced there while still selling your data for a profit.
[OP]
Jun 15, 2019
43 posts
53 upvotes
aviator_13 wrote: You're not mistaken - this FAQ is full of great marketing-speak but know that companies can be compliant with everything referenced there while still selling your data for a profit.
True! But that just applies to literally every tech you are buying now.
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2009
1950 posts
1548 upvotes
pratsaw wrote: True! But that just applies to literally every tech you are buying now.
I agree to an extent; however most of the tech you are buying now allows for either some element of control of what is shared or ways to disable this type of metadata collection.

My reading of this particular privacy policy basically allows anyone's phone running the same app that is next to you on the highway to connect to your device and transmit back to home base should the right circumstances line up.

Everyone can decide for themselves if whatever functionality this gadget is providing is worth the privacy tradeoff.
The "regular price" is also B.S. - plenty of cheap OBD2 bluetooth scanners for ~$20
Apr 19, 2012
274 posts
52 upvotes
Brampton
Just my 2 cent using their previous offering - the lite version with the adapter coming from China. Got it and although it was kind of fun using it for some time, it turned out to be faulty after sometime and started blowing one of the memory fuse on my vehicle. Took me quite some time to figure out what was happening.
Dec 22, 2006
607 posts
262 upvotes
Toronto
Device was shipped from China-didn't even bother to brand the product well,cheap junk from dollar store.
Dec 18, 2010
2 posts
Winnipeg
I ordered mine on May 5th , and have not received anything yet. Tracking says it was on it's way on May 7th and handed over to airlines.

It is now July 19th. Total scam