Automotive

Noob question - oil change

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 9th, 2019 10:30 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 23, 2018
96 posts
27 upvotes

Noob question - oil change

Hi Guys,
Noob question. Newcomer to Canada.
I recently bought a 2010 Accord.
Needs an oil change.
What do you guys recommend? Going to dealership; it’s 80$ plus taxes?
Or go to a local mechanic and get it done for cheaper (but not sure what oil they use). The seller told me he always used 5W30.

Are there garages which allow you to bring your self purchased oil and they only charge for labor and oil fileter?

Please advise.

Thanks
30 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2018
1398 posts
1539 upvotes
snorkel4u wrote: Or go to a local mechanic and get it done for cheaper (but not sure what oil they use). The seller told me he always used 5W30.
Long as they are using the same type and not switch from synthetic to organic or vice versa, you are fine.

Are there garages which allow you to bring your self purchased oil and they only charge for labor and oil fileter?
They usually allow it, but you are gonna have to ask. Maybe some don't allow it. No way to tell.
[OP]
Newbie
Sep 23, 2018
96 posts
27 upvotes
Thanks,
So you’re saying the brand doesn’t really matter.
I’ll keep it a note not to switch oil types. Stick to full synthetic 5w30.

What should be approx labor charges for oil change?
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4078 posts
4210 upvotes
GTA
snorkel4u wrote: Hi Guys,
Noob question. Newcomer to Canada.
I recently bought a 2010 Accord.
Needs an oil change.
What do you guys recommend? Going to dealership; it’s 80$ plus taxes?
Or go to a local mechanic and get it done for cheaper (but not sure what oil they use). The seller told me he always used 5W30.

Are there garages which allow you to bring your self purchased oil and they only charge for labor and oil fileter?

Please advise.

Thanks
That's not a good thing. That car is supposed to use 5W20.

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs ... 1010OM.PDF p.313
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2005
1545 posts
203 upvotes
Where Abt are u located?

You can go to dealership and ask them to price match to Whitby oshawa Honda for synthetic oil change 0w20 for $60.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
I agree with one poster, many dealers will match prices for oil changes and Honda suggests 5W-20 grade.
If you just bought a 9 year old car, it can not hurt t go to a dealer and have it checked out. You never know, there may have been recalls or other service items that are due on your car.
Just be careful of the upsell. they will tell you all sorts of things that will bring your car back up to Honda spec but they may not need to be done.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Aug 26, 2004
1988 posts
155 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: Just be careful of the upsell. they will tell you all sorts of things that will bring your car back up to Honda spec but they may not need to be done.
Especially the one on Eglinton E. Marketplace did an expose on their upselling
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
CDNPatriot wrote: Especially the one on Eglinton E. Marketplace did an expose on their upselling
I am usually a proponent of dealerships and still am but, any place will upsell. Upsell for maintenance on vehicles is how all shops make their money. Some are little more intense in their tactics than others but none are exempt from making money.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15900 posts
13740 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Pete_Coach wrote: I am usually a proponent of dealerships and still am but, any place will upsell. Upsell for maintenance on vehicles is how all shops make their money. Some are little more intense in their tactics than others but none are exempt from making money.
Mr Lube comes to mind for up-selling lol
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3961 posts
4142 upvotes
Do it yourself.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8828 posts
3295 upvotes
Toronto
angryaudifanatic wrote: Do it yourself.
Those type of answers don't help the OP. I used to do oil changes myself when young, now I don't bother.

It's almost always cheaper to do oil changes at non-dealer garages. Most dealers don't PM prices elsewhere, but if they do that's good.

Agree with the sugeestion to take it to dealer the first time though, and have them check it up, especially in case there are recalls.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 26, 2007
5371 posts
2913 upvotes
Toronto
DYI if you can. I just fixed buddies car with 30/50/30/50 psi on their car tires after coming back from oil change from the dealer few weeks back. This one's easy with just matching up all tires to 35 psi but wtf was the oil change kid doing???
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
angryaudifanatic wrote: Do it yourself.
Sure, If you have the time, space, tools and equipment. Oh and a container that you can catch the waste oil and filter and then transport it to a place were you can dispose of it.
All very easy to say.....but
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3961 posts
4142 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Sure, If you have the time, space, tools and equipment. Oh and a container that you can catch the waste oil and filter and then transport it to a place were you can dispose of it.
All very easy to say.....but
Several types of cars now have oil filters on the top. Extract the oil, change out the filter, pour in fresh oil and take the used oil to Canadian tire.

Done deal. 15 mins.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jul 12, 2003
11559 posts
3819 upvotes
Toronto
Title is Noob question.
If the guy is good enough to DIY his own oil change, this thread won't even created.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
angryaudifanatic wrote: Several types of cars now have oil filters on the top. Extract the oil, change out the filter, pour in fresh oil and take the used oil to Canadian tire.

Done deal. 15 mins.
Still have to "have the time, space, tools and equipment. Oh and a container that you can catch the waste oil and filter and then transport it to a place were you can dispose of it."
With your suggestion they have to buy even more equipment...all to save a few bucks? LOL No, it is not a "Done deal. 15 mins."
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 7, 2007
4210 posts
1682 upvotes
I need 15 mins just to find my jeans, and get out of my house-shoes.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2018
3961 posts
4142 upvotes
Pete_Coach wrote: Still have to "have the time, space, tools and equipment. Oh and a container that you can catch the waste oil and filter and then transport it to a place were you can dispose of it."
With your suggestion they have to buy even more equipment...all to save a few bucks? LOL No, it is not a "Done deal. 15 mins."
It is not just about money but the best way to know its done right is to do it yourself.

From a time perspective driving to and from the dealer or mechanic, then waiting around, vastly takes longer.
For legal topics and discussions, the opinion, guidance, and thoughts provided are my own and are not considered to be legal advice, in any manner.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 10, 2005
36153 posts
10256 upvotes
Ottawa
angryaudifanatic wrote: It is not just about money but the best way to know its done right is to do it yourself.

From a time perspective driving to and from the dealer or mechanic, then waiting around, vastly takes longer.
Thing is, we are responding to a noob that just bought a 9 year old car. To help him with the car and to get some information about his car's health and to get it checked out, a visit to the OEM for the oil change is a wise thing.
And I believe you are wrong, there are many ways to know things are done right. DIY is not for everyone for many reasons. Odd that you have so much difficulty accepting that.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.

Top