Home & Garden

noob question: what drill bit size for these screw/anchors?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 6th, 2018 9:50 pm
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
915 posts
293 upvotes

noob question: what drill bit size for these screw/anchors?

hey guys, I think the size is on it? but want to double check w/ you guys before I start drilling. haha.

1 is from ikea and the other is from home depot.

secondly, anyone knows the rough weight these can support?

goal : putting up some art & blind/curtain rod.
Images
  • IMG_20180205_225406.jpg
  • IMG_20180205_225705 (1).jpg
7 replies
Oct 10, 2017
112 posts
29 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
The ones from Ikea from left to right you drill 5/16", 1/4", 3/16"
The home depot anchor you drill 1/4"
I wouldnt use those anchors let alone on drywall. Try to catch a stud wherever you can and where you can't, use drywall anchors like this instead https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.papc ... 27290.html
Monkey hooks are great for pictures and leave only a tiny hole in the wall https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.monk ... 27461.html
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
915 posts
293 upvotes
RFDizzy wrote: The ones from Ikea from left to right you drill 5/16", 1/4", 3/16"
The home depot anchor you drill 1/4"
I wouldnt use those anchors let alone on drywall. Try to catch a stud wherever you can and where you can't, use drywall anchors like this instead https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.papc ... 27290.html
Monkey hooks are great for pictures and leave only a tiny hole in the wall https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.monk ... 27461.html
Thanks man!

How did you get to those specs? I guess the home depot one is easier to read because it said so on the box. But how did you break down the numbers on the Ikea one on the back?

Also, why are these anchors no good? They seemed sturdy and big?

Thanks for recommending the ez and monkey hook. I will look into it.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2452 posts
1423 upvotes
Alliston, ON
DPR2017 wrote: Thanks man!

How did you get to those specs? I guess the home depot one is easier to read because it said so on the box. But how did you break down the numbers on the Ikea one on the back?

On the ikea package, on the far right next to the drawing of the anchor it says the size for each... 5/16 x 2" long....
Oct 10, 2017
112 posts
29 upvotes
Barrie, Ontario
DPR2017 wrote: Thanks man!

The poster before me answered your question about the hole size. There is an O with a slash through it. This is your anchor size (width and length)
Those plug anchors work great on concrete but tend to spin in drywall, that's why I don't like them. The ez anchors I linked to will hold a lot more weight as well.
[OP]
Jan 21, 2017
915 posts
293 upvotes
RFDizzy wrote: The poster before me answered your question about the hole size. There is an O with a slash through it. This is your anchor size (width and length)
Those plug anchors work great on concrete but tend to spin in drywall, that's why I don't like them. The ez anchors I linked to will hold a lot more weight as well.
hi, for the ikea one, i still don't get it.

let's take the longest anchor for instance.

it is "cross O" , 8x51 mm -> so it is the length?
cross O, 5/16 x 2 '' . so I assume 5/16 is the right drill bit size? what is the x2 for?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2007
2452 posts
1423 upvotes
Alliston, ON
DPR2017 wrote: hi, for the ikea one, i still don't get it.

let's take the longest anchor for instance.

it is "cross O" , 8x51 mm -> so it is the length? 8mm is the drill bit size .. 51mm is the length. Converted to inches its 8mm = 0.314 inches, which is 5/16

cross O, 5/16 x 2 '' . so I assume 5/16 is the right drill bit size? what is the x2 for? the 2 is the Length of the anchor. So its a 5/16" anchor by 2" long