94 upvotes
Brampton
Get 1 extra month 3+1 using a code NORDSOCIAL
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2005
1370 posts
4 upvotes
mannat25 wrote: Get 1 extra month 3+1 using a code NORDSOCIAL
Do you still get the Rakuten cashback if you use an extra code?
Feb 8, 2010
350 posts
94 upvotes
Brampton
d-man wrote: Do you still get the Rakuten cashback if you use an extra code?
If rakuten still have cash back then yes you will get it cash back too from Rakuten
Jun 24, 2008
106 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
do you guys think it'll get any cheaper on actual black Friday?
was thinking about surfshark, but seems like a lot of the review sites claim Nord is faster
Sep 5, 2012
603 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
check out the sponsored locked thread under Hot deals PureVPN

Seems like a good deal - PureVPN 5 year $53USD with 10 connections
Dont know whether PureVPN provides a good service or not, you will have to do your own due diligence
Nov 13, 2016
334 posts
346 upvotes
Montreal
j27wu wrote: do you guys think it'll get any cheaper on actual black Friday?
was thinking about surfshark, but seems like a lot of the review sites claim Nord is faster
I am currently using NordVPN and just purchased SurfShark ; i can confirm that Nord is much faster. At times i am getting only 50-65% speed with SurfShark when compared to Nord (both running wireguard). However, Surfshark has split tunneling so i may stick with it. Tbh the current blackfriday pricing is bad when compared to their past sales.
I spent and earn with Koodo, Fido, AmEx etc | Sharing is Caring ;)
Nov 13, 2016
334 posts
346 upvotes
Montreal
CheapBucket wrote: check out the sponsored locked thread under Hot deals PureVPN

Seems like a good deal - PureVPN 5 year $53USD with 10 connections
Dont know whether PureVPN provides a good service or not, you will have to do your own due diligence
Terrible VPN with very bad history & bad performance. PureVPN & Its sister concern Ivacy are both owned by Gaditek (a pakistani shell).

For streaming and budget - Stick with Nord / Surfshark.

For more privacy, may be opt for Mullvad/ Proton / TorGuard etc
I spent and earn with Koodo, Fido, AmEx etc | Sharing is Caring ;)
Jun 6, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
I've tried PIA, Ivacy, Air, Express and Nord. I've been doing the Nord yearly plan for 2? 3? years now. Nord's decent. I'm in the BC interior and the Vancouver gateway gives me usually ~ 90 - 95 % of my ISP's 300 Mbps (Shaw) on desktop PC wired ethernet. I resisted their 'Nordlynx' protocol at first as I though it was gimmicky, but now that's all I use and it is consistently faster than their UDP connection for me. For others ymmv

Nord does have what I'd describe as an 'aggressive' affiliate plan, and apparently they offer one of the higher rates to their affiliates. So people critical of Nord find themselves attacked by the Nord-swarm :)

Express is good, but pricey. Best customer support of the VPN's I've used though. Nord's CS is hit and miss.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1243 posts
557 upvotes
KaiOhD wrote: Nord's decent. I'm in the BC interior and the Vancouver gateway gives me usually ~ 90 - 95 % of my ISP's 300 Mbps (Shaw) on desktop PC wired ethernet.

Express is good, but pricey. Best customer support of the VPN's I've used though. Nord's CS is hit and miss.
That's unbelievable. I used Nord recently a few months ago connected to Vancouver (from Vancouver, also with Shaw) during their one month trial. I would get consistently around 120-140 with the occasional [rare] burst up to 180 Mbps/300 Mbps (60%) with the latest devices (fast cpus) via wired and wireless. The average speeds are less than half (about 47%) of the maximum ISP speeds which in my case is over 320 Mbps. I was using Open VPN protocol and Nordlynx.

Express VPN has slowed down recently and only has a few Canada East Servers — two in Toronto and one in Montreal. I think that's quite pitiful given their prices.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1243 posts
557 upvotes
rfdjugaad wrote: Terrible VPN with very bad history & bad performance. PureVPN & Its sister concern Ivacy are both owned by Gaditek (a pakistani shell).

For streaming and budget - Stick with Nord / Surfshark.

For more privacy, may be opt for Mullvad/ Proton / TorGuard etc
Pure VPN also keep logs.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2011
1352 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
I am currently using privateinternetaccess but find it slow sometimes, what do you guys think? any better alternative? though right now I bought a deal good for me till like 2022 or something. so might just use PIA. but open to suggestions !
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2019
1243 posts
557 upvotes
pentexplorer wrote: I am currently using privateinternetaccess but find it slow sometimes, what do you guys think? any better alternative? though right now I bought a deal good for me till like 2022 or something. so might just use PIA. but open to suggestions !
I suggest in no particular order: Windsribe, Nord, and Surfshark for torrenting and server selections. Surfshark is similar to Windsribe minus the lack of professionaliam of Windsribe.
Sep 15, 2008
26 posts
1 upvote
my PIA subscription is about to expire, thinking of switching to NordVPN, thoughts?
Jun 24, 2008
106 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
I think I'm going to subscribe with Nord after reading all the comments in the thread. Just waiting for BF to see if there's going to be more cashback from Rakuten.
Dec 10, 2019
4 posts
3 upvotes
Brim credit cards are offering 40% in points back for a Nord subscription. Does anyone know how that would work to combine with Rakuten's 40% off?

$89*.40 = $35.60 cashback

$89 -
Rakuten - $35.60
Brim - $35.60

Total = $17.80?

Or would these cashback deals not stack?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 8, 2006
5486 posts
519 upvotes
Toronto
No they wouldn't stack as you have to go through Brim's link which is an referral link.
deallover420xxx69 wrote: [/left]1505674]
Brim credit cards are offering 40% in points back for a Nord subscription. Does anyone know how that would work to combine with Rakuten's 40% off?

$89*.40 = $35.60 cashback

$89 -
Rakuten - $35.60
Brim - $35.60

Total = $17.80?

Or would these cashback deals not stack?
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1818 posts
821 upvotes
Scarborough
when i first subscribe to Nordvpn, i created a US ebates account to take advantage of the cash back, because it was before i noticed they were available with ebates canada.

currently Rakuten.COM has cash rebate for Nordvpn at 50% and today i noticed Rakuten.COM has a refer a friend promo where each party will get $40. good if you don't have a Rakuten.COM account already. will make the deal sweeter.

as always, don't ask for referrals in open forum.