Nordstrom

Fellow Ode Brew Grinder (White Only) - $267.75

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2023 11:16 am
28 replies
Jul 25, 2006
598 posts
246 upvotes
primetimey wrote: I was in the market for the Gen 2 Ode in Black and stumbled on this on the Nordstrom website, great deal if you are interested in White & Gen 1.
Do you have to switch the burrs for espresso?
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
654 posts
454 upvotes
brule wrote: Do you have to switch the burrs for espresso?
Ode is not really an espresso grinder, even if you upgrade the burrs. I believe they sell the Gen 2 Burrs around $70 if you bought the unit from Nordstrom. (You will miss out on some of the Gen 2 upgrades/fixes from Gen 1 but you will save a lot)

Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2008
1078 posts
286 upvotes
There are no espresso burrs for this AFAIK.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2007
2453 posts
1575 upvotes
Okay price but would skip the Gen 1.
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2247 posts
909 upvotes
I would skip this unless you're okay with dishing out the extra money to upgrade to SSP burrs. If you do, it is extremely hard, if not impossible, to beat this grinder for filter coffee at this price point.

If you grind for espresso using it, fellow will invalidate your warranty. It's probably too hard on the motor.

Lance Hedrick reviewed the fellow ode with SSP quite favourably.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1962 posts
2505 upvotes
goodguy90 wrote: I would skip this unless you're okay with dishing out the extra money to upgrade to SSP burrs. If you do, it is extremely hard, if not impossible, to beat this grinder for filter coffee at this price point.

If you grind for espresso using it, fellow will invalidate your warranty. It's probably too hard on the motor.

Lance Hedrick reviewed the fellow ode with SSP quite favourably.
The two together are like $500 CAD, right? There really aren't any comparable alternatives in this price range for filtered coffee?
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2009
2247 posts
909 upvotes
Cucumference wrote: The two together are like $500 CAD, right? There really aren't any comparable alternatives in this price range for filtered coffee?
I think you would mostly be looking at hand grinders. The zp6 offers a good amount of clarity but not like the fellow ode with SSP. It is, however, cheaper.

I don't think there's anything comparable at the $500 mark, but, that said, I don't think you need to spend that much money to really enjoy coffee. It is just the point of diminishing returns.

If anyone has any suggested alternatives, please feel free to correct me. I am happy to be wrong.
Jul 8, 2018
154 posts
223 upvotes
goodguy90 wrote: I think you would mostly be looking at hand grinders. The zp6 offers a good amount of clarity but not like the fellow ode with SSP. It is, however, cheaper.

I don't think there's anything comparable at the $500 mark, but, that said, I don't think you need to spend that much money to really enjoy coffee. It is just the point of diminishing returns.

If anyone has any suggested alternatives, please feel free to correct me. I am happy to be wrong.
maybe df64 if you want something that can do espresso but that's like $150 more and not quite as good for filter
Apr 6, 2018
80 posts
68 upvotes
goodguy90 wrote: I think you would mostly be looking at hand grinders. The zp6 offers a good amount of clarity but not like the fellow ode with SSP. It is, however, cheaper.

Agreed. My next paycheck goes to the Ode gen 2 + SSP since I primarily drink modern light roast filter coffee. If I was drinking medium roast or espresso I would absolutely just keep my current Baratza grinder but it sounds like the Ode + SSP almost lives up to the EK43 (the cafe standard industrial $4,000 flat bur grinder). Man, reminds me I remember seeing a used EK43 from a going-out-of-business cafe back in the day for "only" around $1,000. Still wish I took out a loan and bought it. Face With Tears Of Joy

But as for the deal of this thread, I think the Ode gen 1 with default grinder is really only for those who
1) want a small electric grinder
2) want a quiet grinder

Otherwise, the usual Baratza Encore is $100 less and will give a similar quality cup of coffee.
Apr 18, 2017
807 posts
1669 upvotes
This is a really hot deal! Is Gen 2 better? Absolutely, but this is an incredible price for Gen 1.

It’s worth pointing out that, compared to the Baratza Encore, the Ode is significantly quieter, faster and is smaller in size. It also looks and feels way more premium.

The burrs may need to be upgraded to at least Gen 1.1, which can be had for about $40 cad through some shops in Canada - but even at $100 for Gen 2 burrs this is a MUCH better deal than buying Gen 2 Ode (as the reworking are minimal at best).
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
13812 posts
2942 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh there is a newer model? Still really good price.
Jan 8, 2020
499 posts
235 upvotes
Vancouver
Price is tempting but I don't think it will be anything near the quality of Commandante that I use for pourover grinds.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2013
654 posts
454 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Oh there is a newer model? Still really good price.
The new model (Gen 2) has the following fixes for minor issues/annoyances with the first generation:

- Anti static technology that eliminates static mess/chaff mess which was a common complaint of Gen 1
- Gen 2 Burrs that grind finer
- Larger hopper bin to hold more beans
- No beeping sound when turning on the machine
- Gen 2 is priced at $470.

If you are price conscious and don't want to spend over $300 then the Gen 1 on this sale is a good deal, but if price is less of an issue Gen 2 is superior machine with all the upgrades/fixes.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4567 posts
1980 upvotes
GVRD
This one is out of stock now, but I am looking for a Gen 2 anyway. Do any retailers have Gen 2 with any discount?
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2005
1455 posts
459 upvotes
Halifax
ciuvak wrote: This one is out of stock now, but I am looking for a Gen 2 anyway. Do any retailers have Gen 2 with any discount?
I haven't seen any discounts and most places still have gen 1 stock from what I've seen. There was an updated Burr set, 1.1 that I think people confuse with gen 2. Gen 2 comes with bigger hopper, anti static and gen 2 burrs.
Aug 18, 2013
468 posts
602 upvotes
FOMO really hit me with the OOS at nordstrom..lol.. so i ended up buying it from eightouncecoffee.ca with the second order 10 percent off bringing it down 287.

Didn't want to spend too much now on the gen 2 since the gen 1 is so cheap, and i can lie to myself that this is a way for me to rationale a purchase for the ssp burrs somewhere in the not so near future. :)
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2010
4567 posts
1980 upvotes
GVRD
AirTimid wrote: I haven't seen any discounts and most places still have gen 1 stock from what I've seen. There was an updated Burr set, 1.1 that I think people confuse with gen 2. Gen 2 comes with bigger hopper, anti static and gen 2 burrs.
OK, thanks. I am definitely decided on Gen 2 only, need the anti static feature and the other changes.
I have found a few Canadian retailers which sell Gen 2, but they don't offer any discounts, not even 5% off.