NordVPN 2 years subscription $99 usd - 60% cash back at Rakuten

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 7th, 2021 10:16 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 2, 2007
1064 posts
226 upvotes
Saskatchewan
nickgritz wrote: you are using with Nord to access US content?
For Netflix, Hulu, Tubi, and Crackle, yes. Nord has worked fine. As some people have said, sometimes you have to try different servers for Netflix.

If you're asking about asking US content on Amazon Prime video, that won't work with a Canadian Amazon Prime account, even with a VPN.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2003
1459 posts
146 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks OP, signed up last month without cashback but refunded it last night to take advantage of this deal. :)

Just for future reference, so cashbacks for NordVPN will always only work for new subscriptions and not renewals?
Oct 23, 2014
493 posts
373 upvotes
Laval, QC
merciscool wrote: For Netflix, Hulu, Tubi, and Crackle, yes. Nord has worked fine. As some people have said, sometimes you have to try different servers for Netflix.

If you're asking about asking US content on Amazon Prime video, that won't work with a Canadian Amazon Prime account, even with a VPN.
I just sign in with my Canadian username and password on the US prime video. VPN on. It’s working for me.. you should be able to access prime video from any country using your Canadian credentials. You don’t need an American account to access US content. If you are asking about local content (ex. CBS local channels etc..). Then no, that won’t work . If an American subscriber is in the US trying to access Canadian locals with VPN ( global, CTV ,etc..). that won’t work for them either.

Edit : I just tried some content that is supposed to be available for us subs only. In this case yes, you need a US prime account to access these.
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2012 upvotes
Fernando Poo
SpaceWaffle wrote: i'm definitely skeptical of a vpn that's seemingly always on sale, employs predatory sales tactics (i.e. things like "final sale!" or "9 hours left, get this deal now" - but not really), and is always, always endorsed by so many youtubers

though having said that... at <2$ CAD/mo, my RFD jimmies are rustling!

edit: worth a watch, and do your own research and come to your own conclusions
Its endorsed by youtubers because they're paid to endorse it. I think that's where most of Nords budget goes, to advertising.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
May 7, 2005
84 posts
35 upvotes
Uberclk wrote: is this new? i did exactly this in February, told them i purchased an extension in error thinking there would be cashback. they cancelled my purchase and i still had my existing subscription.
I was misled with what the support staff told me in February processing my refund. I was upset and unsatisfied so I purchased a 3 year subscription to Windscribe. Double checking my NordVPN account now and it's still active. DAMN. I should have checked that before buying another VPN.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1908 posts
902 upvotes
Scarborough
z3row0rm wrote: I was misled with what the support staff told me in February processing my refund. I was upset and unsatisfied so I purchased a 3 year subscription to Windscribe. Double checking my NordVPN account now and it's still active. DAMN. I should have checked that before buying another VPN.
i bought into the Windscribe offer as well. i much prefer Nordvpn. some sports streaming site i could not connect with Windscribe but no problems with Nordvpn.
Oct 21, 2015
507 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto, ON
henrik112 wrote: I think Nord doesn’t work with Netflix anymore. I keep getting together notification that I’m not connected to the internet when using Nord with Netflix
I honestly find torrenting easier than trying to find a VPN than works with Netflix.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2005
1908 posts
902 upvotes
Scarborough
Leshita wrote:
Just for future reference, so cashbacks for NordVPN will always only work for new subscriptions and not renewals?
not always. the 70% cashback in Feb was for new customers. the following weekend for valentines, 40% cashback was for everyone. not sure about the 60% off.
Mar 30, 2007
345 posts
78 upvotes
Seems like this is a deal that comes up pretty frequently.

I almost went for it about a year ago but ended up going with surfshark + topcashback. I believe it was a bit cheaper and in Canadian dollars. Ended up being like $48CAD for 2 years after the cash back.

Topcashback is a bit of a pain in the butt, but it did work. I imagine Rakuten is the same.
∙ Quarter Chicken Dinner ∙ White Meat ∙ Fries ∙ Extra Sauce
[OP]
Sep 10, 2012
46 posts
72 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
savurasu wrote: I only see 30% cashback at rakuten?

Just checked still showing 60% for me. Are u looking at Rakuten CA or US?
Dec 30, 2008
38 posts
12 upvotes
Vancouver
tsmswifty wrote: Lots of blacklisted IPs, avoid
Can you elaborate?

I use IPVanish and have been for the most part quite happy. It's also way more $$$

... just wondering what kind of drop in service quality one might expect?
May 7, 2005
84 posts
35 upvotes
Uberclk wrote: i bought into the Windscribe offer as well. i much prefer Nordvpn. some sports streaming site i could not connect with Windscribe but no problems with Nordvpn.
My experience is the same. Streaming video on Windscribe routinely causes buffering and other issues I never experienced on NordVPN.
Feb 21, 2017
161 posts
77 upvotes
There’s also a student discount code unique to each student using the app studentbeans. Just got it to $85USD from $99USD.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1248 posts
1117 upvotes
Just a follow-up on this thread. I renewed on May 12th and Rakuten is stalling me on the rebate. They are saying "We need to verify that the purchase was properly placed through Rakuten for earning credit". Without the credit, this is just an average price, so I'm pushing back on both Rakuten and Nord. Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: So just got a response from NordVPN: The offer is for new subscriptions only. I scanned the Rakuten listing and it says nothing about that. If I'd known I would have simply created a new sub under a different email address.
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2771 posts
1062 upvotes
Whitehorse
Signed up for the one year plan at USD 59. Their checkout system seems to charge PST but not GST. As I live in a Territory, there's no PST.

I used a USD debit card to pay as the charge was in USD. But instead of USD 59 they charged me USD 61.06.

That's an almost 3.5% markup that was not indicated on checkout. Shady.
Dec 13, 2019
900 posts
818 upvotes
For those who would like to renew and take advantage of the "60% cashback", this deal does not work on renewals. Only new sign-ups. The infuriating thing is that neither Rakuten nor NordVPN's website has this stipulation written anywhere. I jumped on a similar deal a few months ago and contacted both Rakuten and NordVPN support and got the definitive answer from NordVPN that this cashback deal is only good for new sign-ups. Disappointed Face

I get that they need to acquire new customers to grow their marketshare and get their name out there, but what about their existing customers? They need to do right by their existing customers too. It's much easier preaching to the converted than to always look for the new people to change their minds.

Just a quick heads-up on the conveniently omitted fine print. :rolleyes:
Why settle for full retail price when you can wait and get it at a lower price for better value (even better if there's a bundled freebies deal)? 😉
Feb 11, 2004
161 posts
45 upvotes
Victoria
Tapout123 wrote: Just a follow-up on this thread. I renewed on May 12th and Rakuten is stalling me on the rebate. They are saying "We need to verify that the purchase was properly placed through Rakuten for earning credit". Without the credit, this is just an average price, so I'm pushing back on both Rakuten and Nord. Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: So just got a response from NordVPN: The offer is for new subscriptions only. I scanned the Rakuten listing and it says nothing about that. If I'd known I would have simply created a new sub under a different email address.
I had the same issue and requested a refund as my previous sub was going to end on June 4th and the 2 year plan didn't kick in yet. The rep I spoke with at NordVPN actually suggested that I do just that (create a new account) if i wanted the cashback.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2010
1248 posts
1117 upvotes
CDN86 wrote: I had the same issue and requested a refund as my previous sub was going to end on June 4th and the 2 year plan didn't kick in yet. The rep I spoke with at NordVPN actually suggested that I do just that (create a new account) if i wanted the cashback.
Did they refund you? They are now telling me that the refund policy applies to the initial payment only, and has a 30 day time limit, so since my initial payment was 3 years ago, and this is a renewal, the refund policy doesn't apply. It's funny, I really dont care about the money at this point. I'm far more interested in how they are ducking and weaving to make sure that the Rakuten offer isn't applicable and denying me a refund.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)