Automotive

Is it normal that a blower would die so quickly?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 24th, 2015 2:45 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 20, 2010
287 posts
76 upvotes

Is it normal that a blower would die so quickly?

I thought I'd ask here since I really don't know much about cars and would love some input on this situation.

Basically this is my first car, it's a 2014 Chevrolet Trax.
Now I've had this car for 1 year and 8 months and it has around 70000km on it.

So far the oil pan has had a leak, it was also leaking transmission fluid, and has had numerous little electrical problems. All fixed at the dealership under warranty, but not without having to demand they fix the problems, they ignored the leaks for months.

But as of last night, the blower for the heat and a/c has died. Which is incredibly irritating since my partner has his G driving test on Monday, leaving us no time to get this fixed and no time to cancel/reschedule the test....

We looked inside where the cabin air filter is and can see the blower, there's no air movement, the blower isn't spinning, it's dead. We tried checking fuses, swapped a few of the same resistance, no results. No settings on the dials seem to change it.

Is it normal for this type of thing to die in a car that's under 2 years old? Is there something I could have done to prevent this? I feel like I've been hosed with the little problems accumulating with this new car.

I'm thinking of picking up something like this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/12v-w ... 3402p.html for the time being so that the driving test can go forward, then take it to the dealership on Monday to get the blower fixed... hope it's under warranty -_-
5 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2008
6639 posts
2366 upvotes
BC
The Cdn. Tire workaround is limited in how it can direct air over the entire glass area. Not the best way for a G test if it is a distraction.

Not normal for a blower to fail suddenly especially in less than 2 years. Normally they would make clicking noises from dry bearings long before outright failure.
So it's probably some component in the variable speed setup, such as a resistor pack.

Maybe just hope for dry and warm weather on Monday?
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
2999 upvotes
keenland
northfur1 wrote: I thought I'd ask here since I really don't know much about cars and would love some input on this situation.

Basically this is my first car, it's a 2014 Chevrolet Trax.
Now I've had this car for 1 year and 8 months and it has around 70000km on it.

So far the oil pan has had a leak, it was also leaking transmission fluid, and has had numerous little electrical problems. All fixed at the dealership under warranty, but not without having to demand they fix the problems, they ignored the leaks for months.

But as of last night, the blower for the heat and a/c has died. Which is incredibly irritating since my partner has his G driving test on Monday, leaving us no time to get this fixed and no time to cancel/reschedule the test....

We looked inside where the cabin air filter is and can see the blower, there's no air movement, the blower isn't spinning, it's dead. We tried checking fuses, swapped a few of the same resistance, no results. No settings on the dials seem to change it.

Is it normal for this type of thing to die in a car that's under 2 years old? Is there something I could have done to prevent this? I feel like I've been hosed with the little problems accumulating with this new car.

I'm thinking of picking up something like this: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/12v-w ... 3402p.html for the time being so that the driving test can go forward, then take it to the dealership on Monday to get the blower fixed... hope it's under warranty -_-
GM historically had a bad resister problem on a lot of vehicles. But my 2008 went very early . It was a 5 minute job to change with no tools needed. cost was about $80 for a replacement blower.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3196 posts
1980 upvotes
Markham
Not normal to have so many issues in such a new vehicle.
Maybe normal for GM???
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2005
5725 posts
1536 upvotes
I think GM is actually as reliable as everything else.

sometimes things just fail
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2009
4958 posts
4541 upvotes
GTA
Another vote for faulty resistor - they don't last on Chevy cars and trucks. Usually it is not too hard to find under the glove box. But the blower motor could be dead too - hard to guess without testing it.