Shopping Discussion

Is it normal to be charged GST/PST on pre-discounted amount of the Cell Phone bill?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 20th, 2022 8:09 pm
Apr 16, 2013
554 posts
573 upvotes
Surrey
tew wrote: Coupons have always been subtracted from the total amount after tax is calculated.
Yeah coupons has always been like that. But the Point is why screw a paying customer at your store. Why not just minus the coupon amount and then ad Tax.

The only company I know in this category is amazon.ca where they will minus the coupon amount and then add Tax. Just to be clear I am no fan of Amazon and there courier partner intelecom but in this case I applaud them to not piss of there own paying customers

Another Rant. What's worse is that these Eco Fee, Levies, Recycling Fee, surcharge etc have Taxes Charged on them. Again why add Taxes to these Bogus charges. This just pisses me off. The only thing I have come across is Bootle Deposit where they don't charge Tax. But everything other BS charge has Taxes on it. It's like paying Tax on Tax
Apr 16, 2013
554 posts
573 upvotes
Surrey
gr8dlr wrote: Discount is not equal to bill credit. Whoever created the beast called GST/HST knew how to steal money from ppl.

If OP thinks this is bad, consider the not so long ago days when we had those $10 lightbulb "rebates" [I can't even remember the rebate amounts but it was up there IIRC].

$11 LED bulb
We paid tax on $11
then they gave us the $10 instant rebate....

Intuitively you thought the bulb would be $1+tax, instead we paid double what we thought.

Separate rant => this was so stupid. Recall at one time we used to have to print out those pieces of paper [later stores printed it themselves, then they had stacks of printed coupons] and then the store had to collect them and remit them for reimbursements. What a stupid waste of human resources/admin/money.

Let me guess just to piss you off I bet they added Taxes on the Full amount if your purchase had an Eco Fee or a a Levy? and on Top of that you Paid Taxes on the Eco Fee or the Levy.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
4978 posts
5717 upvotes
GTA
jattdesi wrote: Yeah coupons has always been like that. But the Point is why screw a paying customer at your store. Why not just minus the coupon amount and then ad Tax.

The only company I know in this category is amazon.ca where they will minus the coupon amount and then add Tax. Just to be clear I am no fan of Amazon and there courier partner intelecom but in this case I applaud them to not piss of there own paying customers

Another Rant. What's worse is that these Eco Fee, Levies, Recycling Fee, surcharge etc have Taxes Charged on them. Again why add Taxes to these Bogus charges. This just pisses me off. The only thing I have come across is Bootle Deposit where they don't charge Tax. But everything other BS charge has Taxes on it. It's like paying Tax on Tax
They do if it's a store coupon but not if it's a manufacturer's coupon. There are very few store coupons these days (they just put the items on sale instead) but many manufacturer's coupons. The store has no choice in how tax is calculated with manufacturer's coupons.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
18693 posts
21366 upvotes
GTA
PointsHubby wrote: My point was …
Everyone in Canada
Person or Biz files their taxes on a set schedule
Irrelevant as I never questioned this.
PointsHubby wrote: You included
No one is CHEATING the system … as you continually seem to imply
I never mentioned cheating. Please don't make up your own narrative.
I'm simply saying that giving a credit earns them extra interest vs offering a discount.
PointsHubby wrote: If you or the Corporation plans for their taxes and invests the money in the meantime.
Contrary to whatever you want to believe.
Telecom Cos aren’t keeping the money
They are remitting it monthly
They keep the interest from the extra GST they hold before they remit it.
Please address my actual words instead of your made up own narrative for you yammer on about.
PointsHubby wrote: But I get it …
You are a Telecom Company hater
By your logic, that makes you a telcom lover. That's a rare Canadian that thinks telcoms in Canada are free of any criticism.
PointsHubby wrote: So you aren’t gonna believe anything other than they are CHEATS
Again, I haven't said that. Enough with your ranting narrative.
You should read up on logical fallacies https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com
PointsHubby wrote: Like I said … no talking sense with you
You’ve already made up your mind
And aren’t willing to look at the truth in this situation
Projecting much are we? You can't even address the topic at hand and yet you accuse others of "no talking sense".
sexyj wrote: Why even ask someone to explain when you are not willing to listen to the reasoning. You are just rambling on about you corporate hate.
Did you actually read my comments or are you just latching onto pointshuby's rant?Odd that you would consider my short posts as "rambling", while neither of you address the issue at hand. If you're too lazy or unknowledgeable to actually answer, it would be better not to answer at at all, rather than use ad hominem attacks.

Again, to make it simple for you two... I'm simply saying that giving a credit earns them extra interest on the GST before they remit it vs offering a discount. That earns the company more profit and hurts the customer needlessly, and obviously causing confusion and angst like with the OP.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2006
3878 posts
454 upvotes
Toronto
yea all telcos are shady especially bell known for overbilling and increasing prices even though you signed a 2 year contract

they like to tell you 40+ taxes after 10 discount when they should be advertising 8.85 discount or they should be advertising 56.50 - 10 = 46.50.
Apr 16, 2013
554 posts
573 upvotes
Surrey
Sprite_TM wrote: yea all telcos are shady especially bell known for overbilling and increasing prices even though you signed a 2 year contract

they like to tell you 40+ taxes after 10 discount when they should be advertising 8.85 discount or they should be advertising 56.50 - 10 = 46.50.
Scummy Telus is right up there as well to screw there own paying customers

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)