Home & Garden

Is it normal for a drip irrigation sprinkler to only cover the outside of the circle?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2021 11:53 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1901 posts
1066 upvotes
London

Is it normal for a drip irrigation sprinkler to only cover the outside of the circle?

Hi all,
Upon a fellow RFDer's recommendation, I bought some irrigation supplies from Irrigation Direct. I must admit, it has been fun putting the system together and tinkering with it. I bought several sprinkler attachments (link below). When it runs in only covers the outside line of the circle. So it will hit the Tomato plant at the outside circumference, but it won't hit the pepper plant within the circle.

I am guessing that this is normal and I either need a ton of these to do overlapping circles, or I purchased the wrong type of sprinkler heads. Does anyone have a suggestion or guidance?

https://www.irrigationdirect.ca/DD-VRS- ... D-VRS.html

maybe my amateur picture helps.
Images
  • pi_16381-02.jpeg
  • nowater.png
3 replies
Nov 10, 2019
643 posts
637 upvotes
Don't let the surface deceive you, after 20-30 mins of drip, the soil underneath soaks like crazy and that's what matters. Your root system will stretch to catch the water if anything. And yes, depending on how many plants and size of garden you will need many of these. Do not overlap circles, in fact space them apart, I set mine 6inch each apart. I picked up a bag 100 qty of similar drip heads and hooked onto my system. Also, I wouldn't do a full nozzle circle spray for tomatoes and peppers. I'd set it to "drip" only and set my timer to 30mins. They type of spray depends on the plant.

Those drip heads are quite expensive, I achieve the same results from buying cheap plastic drip heads from Amazon 100qty bag.
Last edited by kimchibowl on May 17th, 2021 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1901 posts
1066 upvotes
London
Thanks for the reply.

Are the drip heads you are talking about like the ones in the picture (below) and not the sprinkler type?

I also read not to put mulch over them or the emitter hoses in case they get clogged.
kimchibowl wrote: Don't let the surface deceive you, after 20-30 mins of drip, the soil underneath soaks like crazy and that's what matters. Your root system will stretch to catch the water if anything. And yes, depending on how many plants and size of garden you will need many of these. Do not overlap circles, in fact space them apart, I set mine 6inch each apart. I picked up a bag 100 qty of similar drip heads and hooked onto my system. Also, I wouldn't do a full nozzle circle spray. I'd set it to "drip" only and set my timer to 30mins.

Those drip heads are quite expensive, I achieve the same results from buying cheap plastic drip heads from Amazon 100qty bag.
Images
  • drip.jpeg
Nov 10, 2019
643 posts
637 upvotes
You will need a filter to help with the clog issue, I got mine from home depot. Yeah I use those ones in your latest pic. Works fine for my veggies. I know urban farmers who use the same, some even don't use these drip heads and can still get a controlled flow.