Home & Garden

Is it normal - Gaps in roof sheathing visible from attic ?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2019 11:25 pm
[OP]
Apr 2, 2018
36 posts
1 upvote

Is it normal - Gaps in roof sheathing visible from attic ?

Hello, Today when I was in attic saw gaps between roof sheathing (pic attached). Is it supposed to be like this? I am first time home owner and hardly have any knowledge regarding this. I feel if the shingles are torn then the roof might leak from this gap. Please advice. Thanks
Images
  • IMG_3084.jpg
  • IMG_3085.jpg
14 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1019 posts
371 upvotes
York Region
The important thing is that you dont see sunlight. If you suspect you have damaged or missing shingles, call a roofer to repair
[OP]
Apr 2, 2018
36 posts
1 upvote
Hi, I was wondering should I fill the gap with some sealant / caulking or any other roofing product. I feel in case the shingles are blown up I will have a leaking roof and will only know it when I see damage in the ceiling below it. It is difficult to keep checking in the attic or check roof! I already had issues with blown shingles and roof leaking last week which was detected only after I spotted the water damage in the ceiling below. Thanks
bacalhau4me wrote:
Apr 28th, 2019 4:29 pm
The important thing is that you dont see sunlight. If you suspect you have damaged or missing shingles, call a roofer to repair
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1019 posts
371 upvotes
York Region
rg1974 wrote:
Apr 28th, 2019 5:11 pm
Hi, I was wondering should I fill the gap with some sealant / caulking or any other roofing product. I feel in case the shingles are blown up I will have a leaking roof and will only know it when I see damage in the ceiling below it. It is difficult to keep checking in the attic or check roof! I already had issues with blown shingles and roof leaking last week which was detected only after I spotted the water damage in the ceiling below. Thanks
Sure you can caulk that gap or put sealant but it not going to help if you have missing shingles since it will still leak into your attic.
Last edited by bacalhau4me on Apr 28th, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2018
36 posts
1 upvote
Thanks, so there is no solution for this except for checking the attic frequently.
bacalhau4me wrote:
Apr 28th, 2019 5:36 pm
Sure you can caulk that gap or put sealant but it not going to help if you have missing shingles since it will still leaknknto your attic.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2018
36 posts
1 upvote
Thank you so much! Can something like expanding foam sealant be used to fill the gap.
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 28th, 2019 5:50 pm
It looks like when the guy used his chainsaw to cut the piece of wood he didn't go in a straight line, LOL.

If I were you I would cut a piece of similar wood and glue/screw it to cover the hole. I would probably go about 8" above and below the opening and cover the whole length.

Make sure to use screws that are less long than the thickness of the two wood panels. Also apply caulking on the piece of wood to seal at the extremities. You can also apply caulking in the hole. But if ever the shingles over the hole go away, you will need to reapply caulking in the hole from the outside before installing new shingles.

Don't worry about it. If you patch it this way you will be fine.
[OP]
Apr 2, 2018
36 posts
1 upvote
Thanks a lot! Cleared a lot of my doubts.
TomLafinsky wrote:
Apr 28th, 2019 6:11 pm
Absolutely not! In Summer with the sun shining your shingles could easily reach 200F. To start with, the piece of wood sealed at the extremities with caulking would be enough. There is no absolute requirement for caulking to fill the hole. But since you are there, why not fill up the hole with caulking before screwing the piece of wood.

And speaking of caulking, the one you should buy for this particular job is Dymonic. Forget about all that crap caulking sold at HD, Lowes, etc..
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2009
5073 posts
2846 upvotes
The shingles stop the rain not the wood. If you lose shingles The wood is not waterproof anyways. Even if it looks like there are no gaps. I would just leave it.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
10878 posts
803 upvotes
Brampton
Maybe flex seal could work.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2098 posts
1431 upvotes
SW Ontario
Perfectly normal to see a slight gap depending how straight the OSB edges are cut. Notice the metal H clips is what help keep the edges together.
The sheathing just provides a nailing surface and support for the shingles, as the gaps have no effect on water tightness.
One on the reasons I recommend using Ice & Water sheild over the entire roof when having shingles replaced.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2010
1012 posts
510 upvotes
ottawa
I wouldn't screw anything in OP in case you go through the OSB and hit the shingle and cause more damage than benefit.

Just use some clear caulking there so you can see in the future if there's ever any sunlight.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11202 posts
10530 upvotes
Oakville
barqers wrote:
Apr 28th, 2019 7:55 pm
I wouldn't screw anything in OP in case you go through the OSB and hit the shingle and cause more damage than benefit.

Just use some clear caulking there so you can see in the future if there's ever any sunlight.
+1, OP, don't do anything as you're more likely cause damage than do any good. If you think you need to seal it, then you need to seal every single edge in the sheeting (big and small), which isn't going to happen. The right thing to do is the next time your roof is replaced, make sure you have them install an ice and water shield under the shingles.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
6423 posts
2854 upvotes
Paris
DO NOTHING.

The H clips are there because your roof moves a TONNE in summer vs winter. That is a huge surface subject to a lot of seasonal movement from 50 degrees Celsius down to -30. The gaps are there for expansion and contraction. The wood OSB isnt waterproof anyway, so I wouldnt worry about it for water, and its not big enough for a raccoon to get in.
For sale: Ego 56V 5aH batteries, BNIB
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ego-law ... h-2294293/
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
1800 posts
951 upvotes
Toronto
That's totally normal and nothing to worry about.

My 100+ year old roof is sheathes in planks of wood. All manner of gaps, knot-holes, broken boards etc. When we re-roofed 10 years ago a few boards were removed and replaced with plywood, but otherwise we covered the entire thing in ice/water shield and shingled over top.

My garage is the same - big 1 x 10 roofing boards and I stripped the old shingles off, put the adhesive membrane on top then shingles.

Built my daughter a bunkie and used the same 1 x 10 pine roofing boards on 2x4 rafters. They shrink and I have 1/4" gaps between them. Ice and water shield on top, and on that one a metal roof.

You have nothing to worry about - inspect the attic for leaks from time to time, but the sheathing has nothing to do with preventing a leak. The shingles are easily able to span that small gap and you just need to pay attention to any water stains on the wood everywhere you can see in your attic.

Shame they use that crap OSB on everything.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1761 posts
1071 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Apr 28th, 2019 7:13 pm
Maybe flex seal could work.
According to the commercial it'll work for anything, including building boats. Commercials never lie.