Home & Garden

Is it normal for a house to make creaking/clicking noises during high wind?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 3rd, 2021 6:18 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2014
4523 posts
2068 upvotes
Parry Sound

Is it normal for a house to make creaking/clicking noises during high wind?

When there's powerful wind gusts hitting my ~50 year old house, I hear a lot of creaking coming from within the wall on the second floor on one side of the house where the wind typically comes from. It sounds like wood creaking.

I don't mind the noise if it's just noise... But obviously I need to get it fixed if it's affecting structural integrity.

Is it normal for a house to make noises during high wind? I know houses, buildings, etc are designed to flex a bit, but is the wood creaking noise normal?
This message has not been approved by The Office of The Mayor of Toronto.
10 replies
Mar 14, 2018
846 posts
776 upvotes
lol... I'm hearing the same type of noise AS OF NOW. There was another similar post below. Seems like a common problem.
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1885 posts
1601 upvotes
GTA
Wind loads are a consideration in the structural design of buildings, just like dead loads, live loads, snow loads, earthquake, etc etc.

The winds are strong lately, but shouldn't be anything to worry about..... unless some idiot framed your house with screws not rated for shear instead of nails.... wait wut....

If you're worried you can inspect for damage such as cracks of visible shifts from the exterior.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
mine has been doing noises for years, I first suspected racoons in the attic but then I realized it was wind
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Addict
Jun 26, 2019
1885 posts
1601 upvotes
GTA
CuriousC wrote: mine has been doing noises for years, I first suspected racoons in the attic but then I realized it was wind
That's what the racoons want you to think.... Damm crafty TO coons.....
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
2281 posts
435 upvotes
East York, ON
SubjectivelyObjective wrote: That's what the racoons want you to think.... Damm crafty TO coons.....
you mean mericoons? (as in Americans with heavy southern accent)
Sig abuse not tolerated on RFD - mods
Deal Addict
May 23, 2006
1427 posts
444 upvotes
Vancouver
Lots of rumbling noise in my attic during high gusty wind. I have a new house......guess it's a sign that it's well ventilated.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
1897 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
I live in a brick house and I have a similar issue with one wall only. The noise is weird and doesn't sound like wood creaking, but more like some sort of loose wire banging on the studs. It can't be that because I know there is insulation. I don't think it's coming from the root/attic, I sort of climbed there but couldn't hear anything. Could be related to gutters/soffits? I didn't hear anything almost all summer (even in windy days) but starting to hear it more in the fall/winter.
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
2347 posts
5114 upvotes
Ontario
I used to live in a condo building downtown Toronto. Only on the 12th floor out of 45 floors.

On windy says, I could literally hear my bedroom door frame creaking. And I was only on the 12th floor! I can't imagine how much sway there was up the upper floors...
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1965 posts
647 upvotes
Toronto
I get the same noises. Sometimes I think it's the rain gutters, but I secured them very well a few years back using tapcons.
I also think it could be vents, like the kitchen range hood vent or powder room bath fan vent.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
23618 posts
12808 upvotes
Toronto
In my previous home, a north wind would generate all sorts of creaking noises inside the walls. The first time I heard it, I was concerned. After a while I came to accept that the creaking is from elastic movement and there is no real permanent shifting of anything. There were no drywall cracks, nothing.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)