Real Estate

Is it normal for a landlord to ask for first & last RIGHT AWAY?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 16th, 2019 12:26 pm
[OP]
Sep 21, 2017
27 posts
3 upvotes

Is it normal for a landlord to ask for first & last RIGHT AWAY?

I am interested in renting a room but the landlord is asking for a first-last deposit ASAP.

She's not even in the country right now, she wants me to e-transfer the money to her.
And then she wants to mail me documentation, after I have paid, to fill out.

Actually I haven't even seen the place yet, it meets my criteria but she didn't offer for someone to
show me or anything.

I am in the GTA
Last edited by stoneofficial on Mar 13th, 2019 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2017
1257 posts
1007 upvotes
Paying first month rent and last month deposit is normal upon signing rental agreement.
Sending money oversea without an agreement is a risk to SCAM. Paying/signing without seeing place is also weird.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2005
1675 posts
408 upvotes
Mississauga
sounds like a scam, stay away!
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2018
1290 posts
802 upvotes
Toronto
Typically you would provide first + last after the contract is signed by both parties. I would avoid, too much risk.
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
2215 posts
1564 upvotes
SW Ontario
If the Landlord is like this now, do you really want to be her tenant ... probably best to look elsewhere as she will be a headache.
I'd rather be outdoors camping, kayaking, and mountain biking ...
[OP]
Sep 21, 2017
27 posts
3 upvotes
GalvToronto wrote: Paying first month rent and last month deposit is normal upon signing rental agreement.
Sending money oversea without an agreement is a risk to SCAM. Paying/signing without seeing place is also weird.
aximrocks wrote: sounds like a scam, stay away!
Yeah, now I see it's definitely a scam. Thanks so much you guys.
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12658 posts
7898 upvotes
It's normal, but the e-transfer stuff isn't. I'd keep looking.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
2610 posts
2344 upvotes
Montreal
Tell them that you've just found out they've inherited $10,000,000 but there's a small problem you can solve for 10% of the money.

But first there are just a few small fees to pay...
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
851 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
If you suspect this is a scam, where was it advertised? Craigslist, KIJIJI? Might be a good idea to report it as such and prevent someone else from being scammed.
And yes, I believe it's a scam too. 99.999%.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7080 posts
4230 upvotes
Victoria, BC
stoneofficial wrote: I am interested in renting a room but the landlord is asking for a first-last deposit ASAP.

She's not even in the country right now, she wants me to e-transfer the money to her.
And then she wants to mail me documentation, after I have paid, to fill out.

Actually I haven't even seen the place yet, it meets my criteria but she didn't offer for someone to
show me or anything.

I am in the GTA
Don't be dumb. Run away from this scam.
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1150 upvotes
This is almost definitely a scam. But even if it isn't, room rentals aren't covered by the LTA. So they can ask for first/last, but nothing says you need to pay it. You may be able to negotiate something different.