is this normal for new windows

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2020 2:59 pm
Mar 6, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto

is this normal for new windows

just had some hometech new windows installed today. and found there are yellow dust btw 2 glassed. called hometech and was told this is normal as when they draw little whole to instal the grills btw 2 glasses. some desiccant became dust and fall btw the glassed. please see the pic.
just wondering if this is normal or should i go back to argue.....Thank you
Images
  • 捕获.JPG
12 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
I have not seen that before on new windows.
Mar 6, 2014
3 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: This is not normal. I've seen it once before when an idiot used a drill to 'accidentally' make a hole between the two pieces of glass.

If all your windows are the same then you are in a less good position to argue. IMO it shows lousy workmanship. But if at least one window has none then you have a case.
all have it..some are less, some are more....dam
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
9333 posts
5628 upvotes
brutal, go to their showroom and ask them to show you display windows with this yellow dust.

I wouldn't be okay with this, I'm sure you paid plenty for your new windows.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3606 posts
2409 upvotes
Mississauga
This is definitely not normal. None of my builder grade windows have this. A friend replaced their windows last year. They do not have something like this either.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9502 upvotes
Winchester
Yeah, looks like bad manufacturing. I have never seen this in all my years.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
1450 posts
1346 upvotes
Oakville
*scratches Hometech from list of possible window companys to use*
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
2756 posts
867 upvotes
North York
That is not normal nor acceptable, I would complain and get it replaced.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
The photo is small and not very good but you say yellow dust, I see yellow dust on the ledge which should be able to be cleaned up. I also see some weird marks on the glass which dont look yellow to me probably because the photo is small but that glass is supposed to be clear and not have anything like that on it.
smallred wrote: just had some hometech new windows installed today. and found there are yellow dust btw 2 glassed. called hometech and was told this is normal as when they draw little whole to instal the grills btw 2 glasses. some desiccant became dust and fall btw the glassed. please see the pic.
just wondering if this is normal or should i go back to argue.....Thank you
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Yes very possible.

Op should post a bigger photo and maybe circle the issue. Maybe they are talking about the wood dust on the rubber part which looks like it could be between the glass?
TomLafinsky wrote: I suspect the 'weird marks' you see is the left over glue from a sticker that was on the outside window and was removed after installation. Maybe OP can confirm?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: @smallred Since it has already been demonstrated that the workmanship on your windows is poor, I would strongly suggest you buy a thermal imaging camera. Next winter when it is at least -20C use the cam to take a pic of each window. This way you will find out if your windows have been properly filled up with gas.

If you wish to learn more about a thermal imaging camera that would be suitable for you check out this thread.
Windows need to be drilled to be filled with gas? I had a look at my Windows and none of them have any drillings and they were large sealed windows.
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: I'm pretty sure that this 'thing' you see between the two pieces of glass is as a result of when they drilled the two holes in the frame in order to fill up the window with gas. If you are not careful tiny pieces of mostly wood will fall inside.
Would they not seal the hole with clear silicone if they did this?
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
18018 posts
7061 upvotes
Toronto
I would post negative feedback with pictures on Homestars to get them to fix the problem. This way other people who look at the company for future work can know of the issues you encountered. When it is just you against a company, they don't give a damn. When the optics change and multiple people see a bad review, it puts the company on notice to try to mitigate the problem. Keep it this way: There are TONS of window companies in the GTA. If people see a bad comment and go to another company as a result, that costs them $$$. Spending an hour or so and replacing/fixing the problem to resolve the problem is in their best interest.