• Last Updated:
  • Feb 18th, 2020 11:08 pm
[OP]
Nov 25, 2008
642 posts
20 upvotes
edmonton

North york : Finch vs sheppard

Hi i saw my friend bought diamond on yonge prebuilt condo, how is the rental/resale value in that area vs Yonge & Sheppard ?
Which one is better?

The overall north york area seems saturated but then i have been saying that for last 10 yrs !!

Thx
T
29 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2010
1536 posts
784 upvotes
GTA
Yonge/Sheppard generally is more popular and has better resale over Yonge/Finch but that would be comparing apples to apples. All things considered, Sheppard has more going on (shopping, restaurants, nightlife, etc) which appeals to the demographics.

If you're talking residential freehold homes, again, Sheppard would score higher in pricing (apples to apples).
Award Winning Realtor - I LOVE MY JOB!!
At the end of the day, you're the boss and need to make sure I'm worth your rate of pay!
Jan 19, 2018
703 posts
457 upvotes
Personally, I think the night life, restaurants and shopping are about the same between Yonge & Finch and Yonge & Sheppard. But Yonge & Sheppard is better due to being closer to the 401 and that the subway access it better. You can go downtown and east towards Don Mills Station directly whereas you'd have to transfer from Finch Station.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
7990 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto
love0715 wrote: Hi i saw my friend bought diamond on yonge prebuilt condo, how is the rental/resale value in that area vs Yonge & Sheppard ?
Which one is better?

The overall north york area seems saturated but then i have been saying that for last 10 yrs !!

Thx
T
If you're comparing condos right at Y&S to Y&F (ie with underground access to subway), Y&F is a better value. If prices were the same, then sure, Y&S, but you can get some better deals at Y&F. For an investment unit, I'd look at Y&F.

I lived at Y&F for 10 years and have sold a lot of condos there...I know the area fairly well.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
5681 posts
2869 upvotes
Thornhill
Yonge and Sheppard hands down. for resale. ROI is a moving target at present so a proper CAP rate and ROI comparison should be done based on sales and rental values when you're ready to buy.
Jan 29, 2010
822 posts
530 upvotes
Toronto
The pricing kinda make sense- Y&S>Y&F. Yonge and Shepard is a nicer area and location (proximity to highway and also if you take the TTC, you get to avoid the slow crawl that is common when going northbound from Shepard station to Finch station).

Yonge and Finch is a bit older and nice in its own way (eg. I liked cycling down to the Don Valley Park which is linked to Y&F, the food is more Korean, a lot of smaller eateries).
Last edited by jillaryit on Jul 25th, 2019 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1926 posts
1449 upvotes
Canada
Yonge and empress ftw!! Subway not that busy going from finch and also pretty quick going from sheppard to empress, and avoiding the slow crawl to finch.

Area wise, more office, library, a town square, a concert place, its just more downtown like. With the plus of going north or south for food, with something in between.
Aug 16, 2011
362 posts
228 upvotes
OTTAWA
I would go for Yonge & Steeles for growth potential...but too bad there aren't many condos there yet (World on Yonge and Vanguard so far) If and when that subway gets extended North to RH... 15-20 years in my opinion, value at the 4 corners where Centrepoint is at is going to rise a lot.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4823 posts
1622 upvotes
Toronto
bobohobo2kx wrote: Personally, I think the night life, restaurants and shopping are about the same between Yonge & Finch and Yonge & Sheppard.
Depends on the person, really. Y&F is much more Korean/Chinese (small stores and restaurants), whereas Y&S is more neutral (more big chains, Sheppard Centre etc.). I live at Y&F, previously at Y&S, and while it's still a decent area (and I don't regret moving - less expensive etc.), there's hardly anything in easy walking distance that I'm interested in going to. I find I end up going down to Sheppard or up to Steeles (Centerpoint) much more often.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2015
1926 posts
1449 upvotes
Canada
Manatus wrote: Depends on the person, really. Y&F is much more Korean/Chinese (small stores and restaurants), whereas Y&S is more neutral (more big chains, Sheppard Centre etc.). I live at Y&F, previously at Y&S, and while it's still a decent area (and I don't regret moving - less expensive etc.), there's hardly anything in easy walking distance that I'm interested in going to. I find I end up going down to Sheppard or up to Steeles (Centerpoint) much more often.
R u kidding...theres literally hundred of shops there...all good ones too...and more expensive and higher quality than these bigger chains...

Maybe ur not into korean food...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2010
4823 posts
1622 upvotes
Toronto
Redsanta wrote: R u kidding...theres literally hundred of shops there...all good ones too...and more expensive and higher quality than these bigger chains...

Maybe ur not into korean food...
That's why I said it depends on the person... Y&F is much more strongly geared towards Korean/Chinese food and small stores than Y&S is. I'm not saying it's bad, at all. But if you're not interested in that type of food or that kind of store, there's not a lot else around. It's not like Sheppard or Empress where you have a mall with a Loblaws/Longo's and food courts and LCBO and Dollarama and whatever else is there. I'm sure that will change over time though, as more and more condos go up, the stores along Yonge are probably going to disappear or come back as something else as well.
Penalty Box
Dec 30, 2012
1097 posts
1143 upvotes
Toronto
bobohobo2kx wrote: Personally, I think the night life, restaurants and shopping are about the same between Yonge & Finch and Yonge & Sheppard. But Yonge & Sheppard is better due to being closer to the 401 and that the subway access it better. You can go downtown and east towards Don Mills Station directly whereas you'd have to transfer from Finch Station.
Nightlife at Yonge & Finch?? I mean sure, you can go to a different bubble tea place every night for a month, and your nails will be perfectly manicured at one of the many salons, but surely that gets old after a while. Beyond that you’re left scratching your head since none of the signage in that area is in English.
Jul 4, 2013
209 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto, ON
We've lived at Yonge & Empress and Yonge & Sheppard nodes. Both are excellent. I would scratch, claw, and dig my heels in to get a place in one of those areas over Yonge & Finch. True, Y&F is a bit cheaper, and there is nothing intrinsically "wrong" with it, but it simply isn't diverse enough for our tastes and has a bit more...grit. All the stuff we liked was further south towards Sheppard.

When it came time to buy, our needs and budget pushed us even further out towards Bathurst. But while we don't miss the sirens, trucks, noise, and dirt, of Y&S, we do miss the excellent location, walkability, and subway access. I guess the money we saved buying in a "dead zone" helps to cover food delivery, ride shares, and gas money. :)

I think you'd be ok with either choice. But if budget allows, a bit of a stretch for something closer to Y/S might be the better choice.
Jun 12, 2017
158 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
Speaking from experience I get more a city feeling from the Yonge and Sheppard area compared to the Yonge and Finch area. Yonge and Sheppard is a bit more diverse as well.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
7990 posts
2235 upvotes
Toronto
Everybody here seems to speculating future values or talking about their personal preferences.

From a cash flow standpoint, Y&F has better numbers.

You're paying an extra $200k for a 2-bed 2 bath at Y&S vs Y&F (which is about $800 - $1000 more in a mortgage). Rents are just a tad more at Y&S.

Keep in mind, OP is an investor.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative