77 upvotes
Markham

[North York] Hay Sushi Grand Opening Promotion

Deal Link:
Savings:
20% off
Expiry:
September 26, 2020
Noticed a new Japanese restaurant open up in North York running a grand opening promotion right now (Sep 12-26).
20% off cash and 10% off card, takeout only.
Menus are available with pre and post-discount prices listed.

Here's their description:
"Welcome to Hay Sushi! We are a Japanese restaurant and izakaya selling variety of Japanese fusion menus including sushi, sashimi, Japanese pasta, poke, ramen and Japanese taco! :D"

Address: 41 Spring Garden Ave, North York, ON M2N 3G1

Edit: I'm noticing that some of you don't think this is a good price and you're right if you're comparing it to the cost of subpar kiosk sushi like Bento Sushi. But if you're a true sushi connoisseur, you'd appreciate that this price point is actually reasonably cheap for high quality sushi akin to the likes of Project Fish, Kinka, The Haam, Jabistro, etc.
Last edited by YcartEats on Sep 18th, 2020 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thread Summary
**TL;DR**

1. Haters gonna hate (and also don't fully read so probably won't even see this); most downvoters disagree that this is a good promotional price.
These downvoters are either: spoiled and have expectations of grand openings offering >50% off or "line up for 2 hours to get ___ for free" OR have no appreciation for good quality sushi because listen, you get what you pay for

2. Yes, I love sushi. Yes, I love writing reviews purely as a hobby on >> yelp <<. Yes, I have eaten here and thought the food was fantastic. And yes, the restaurant asked me for my permission to use my photos. Some of you can't seem to believe that?? I hope you realize I've written over 500 reviews on Yelp over 6 years, 77 of which are at Japanese restaurants if that alone doesn't prove my adoration for sushi.

3. Pages 3 and beyond = interesting discussions surrounding different sushi restaurants across Toronto/GTA and their different quality/price points! Some good recommendations are noted from various users.

4. Reviews from other RFDealers:
  • Childkangaroo on page 2
  • Dave510 on page 3
  • cookies1314 on page 4
69 replies
May 18, 2007
725 posts
1180 upvotes
Toronto
"Special price": $22 for a 12 piece combo... LOL!

Sushi Bong ain't got nothin to worry about!!
Mar 12, 2009
117 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
renegadeavenger wrote: This has got to be the worse time to open a restaurant..
i wonder how much the rent are.
Some condo around yonge and eglinton are doing 2 months rent free + $1500.
May be they got a similar deal
[OP]
Sep 24, 2013
36 posts
77 upvotes
Markham
canada_dry wrote: "Special price": $22 for a 12 piece combo... LOL!

Sushi Bong ain't got nothin to worry about!!
I definitely love me some Sushi Bong but to be fair, their 12pc sushi set looks like this and Sushi Bong's sushi looks like this.

You get what you pay for. It's a whole different caliber of sashimi grade.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8879 posts
496 upvotes
Toronto
YcartEats wrote: I definitely love me some Sushi Bong but to be fair, their 12pc sushi set looks like this and Sushi Bong's sushi looks like this.

You get what you pay for. It's a whole different caliber of sashimi grade.
For sure. This looks fance!
Deal Guru
Nov 27, 2005
11725 posts
1428 upvotes
Toronto
The line at Sushi Bong is pretty crazy these days. My fallback option is Vips down the street.
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2007
1531 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
YcartEats wrote: Edit: I'm noticing that some of you don't think this is a good price and you're right if you're comparing it to the cost of subpar kiosk sushi like Bento Sushi. But if you're a true sushi connoisseur, you'd appreciate that this price point is actually reasonably cheap for high quality sushi akin to the likes of Project Fish, Kinka, The Haam, Jabistro, etc.
YcartEats wrote: You get what you pay for. It's a whole different caliber of sashimi grade.

https://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/hay-sushi-toronto

From the pics, it does look a whole different caliber budget sushi places. Sushi Bong is a great place for cheap sushi, but this looks better for sure. Jury is still out on whether it tastes good tho. We need a review.

Speaking of which, I'm a bit peeved at the fact that their facebook promo menu uses the same picture as the one in the 5 star review Tracy T. gave on yelp. Makes me think they gave themselves a 5 star review. I mean, how stupid does she think we are?

Now that I think about it.. OP.. are you Tracy T?
CPU: Core i7-5820K @ 4.2GHz GPU: RTX 3090 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 48GB DDR4-2666 Case: CM StormTrooper SSD: 850 EVO 250GB x2 Raid 0 + NVMe 970 Pro 512GB Mobo: ASRock X99 Extreme4
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Monitor: ASUS PG27UQ + Dell P2715Q
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2006
9047 posts
3866 upvotes
Toronto
interesting new restaurant - would share but most of my friends do not want to eat sushi or sashimi though due to covid lol
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26758 posts
5905 upvotes
Hamilton
Pochacco wrote: interesting new restaurant - would share but most of my friends do not want to eat sushi or sashimi though due to covid lol
Whack
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6300 posts
1164 upvotes
LKane1 wrote: https://www.yelp.ca/biz_photos/hay-sushi-toronto

From the pics, it does look a whole different caliber budget sushi places. Sushi Bong is a great place for cheap sushi, but this looks better for sure. Jury is still out on whether it tastes good tho. We need a review.

Speaking of which, I'm a bit peeved at the fact that their facebook promo menu uses the same picture as the one in the 5 star review Tracy T. gave on yelp. Makes me think they gave themselves a 5 star review. I mean, how stupid does she think we are?

Now that I think about it.. OP.. are you Tracy T?

Most likely.
Her userid is Tracy backwards
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
26758 posts
5905 upvotes
Hamilton
canadiankorean wrote: Most likely.
Lol.
$35/10GB Koodo
$120/3Months PM
Jul 28, 2010
103 posts
48 upvotes
Brampton
canadiankorean wrote: Most likely.
Yeah, her other posts don't hide that she is a yelp reviewer named Tracy T. The jury is still out however if she's affiliated with the restaurant
Jun 23, 2020
13 posts
5 upvotes
What is this restaurant replacing in that location?

I usually go to VIP sushi. I like their big rolls. How's that compared to sushi bong?